X

Question About Acceleration Hesitation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Acceleration Hesitation

Hi, I am new to this forum and have never been a part of a forum.
    Ok, I have a 1997 Katana GSX750F that I just recently purchased. It had only 5600 miles on it and would not start when I purchased it. Here is everything that I did after I got it:

-Drained all gas (tank, carbs)
    -Changed spark plugs (made sure proper gap)
    -Had carbs cleaned/synced
    -changed oil

After all of the above it runs great. However, my issue now is that when I accelerate in 1st gear and sometimes 2nd and 3rd the bike will accelerate to about 3000 rpms and then hesitate until I reach about 4500 rpms and then all the acceleration power comes back. Any ideas about what is happening?

First, did YOU clean the carbs or did a shop? Second, are you running a stock airbox and filter?

Comment

If your using stock air filter and airbox, I would check for air/vacuum leaks and then the float heights.

krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

@05RedKat600 Yes I had it done at a shop. And yes, to my knowledge EVERYTHING on the bike is stock except for the new K&N filter.

@Krey I will check the hoses. I did recently put a K&N air filter in. Still does it..

Comment

Shops clean carbs about as well as I paint Picasso's.

It sounds like a dirty pilot circuit. I suggest you read Carbs 101 and disassemble the carbs and soak them in dip. Shops don't remove the pilot screw, and that circuit doesn't get fully cleaned, which causes your issue.

Comment

TAKE OUT THE K&N!!! Get a stock filter in it and you'll run perfectly, Kats don't like K&N.

And welcome to the dysfunctional family.
            sigpic

Comment

Yes, welcome to KR! I'm sure you'll get it resolved soon. Lot's of good advice can be had just for the asking.
              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
                TAKE OUT THE K&N!!! Get a stock filter in it and you'll run perfectly, Kats don't like K&N.

And welcome to the dysfunctional family.
                +1... both on the advice and the welcome.

K&N filters lean out the mixture and play games with your acceleration. First step is to swap that out for a stock filter. See how the bike does with that.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks all! Can't wait for warmer weather so I can ride some more! I'm definitely going to get rid of the K&N.

Comment

Working...
                  X