X

Oil Pan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pan

Sooo here is my delima.. hahaha! The other day I was gently riding along and all of a sudden I smelled a little oil.. As I pulled the bike in the garage I looked underneath my fairings.. my oil pan was dripping oil. I guess the guy I bought the bike from had bottomed out the bike on a speed bump or something. I took off the exhaust and oil pan. Someone had weilded the oil pan where the hole was. The heat and riding had weakened the oil pan. As I took off the oil pan I found yet another problem the mother#$(#*@ had broken off the center bolt on the pan. (And no it wasnt me.. I learned my lesson once.. never again will I do that!) They had hitemped siliconed the bolt back on with the broken piece screwed on the bolt. Has anyone else had this problem? So I ordered the new pan bought new oil, and an new filter. As I was leaving the woman at the service department said "Make sure you dont use car oil!" Maybe I am wrong but isnt it the same? 10W40 oil is 10W40 oil right? All of my fourwheeler's I use "car" oil.

There is a nice debate about this. SL, SM, and SN rated oils contain anti friction additives that are bad for wet clutches used in motorcycles. Most car oils contain these additives.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
      There is a nice debate about this. SL, SM, and SN rated oils contain anti friction additives that are bad for wet clutches used in motorcycles. Most car oils contain these additives.

No real debate about the friction additives... if you put that in your friction wet clutch, it will slip. Most "car" oriented oils have those additives now days.

Make sure you choose something that does not have them.

There is even a really nice post on this forum that goes into details of what all the symbols mean on the back side of the oil can to explain more in detail, but I'm gonna leave it to someone else to find it for you if you don't go searching for it.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

from my experience and research on the web, the best and easiest way to shop for motorcycle oil is to look for the "JASO-MA" rating. This is the japanese oil rating system that means wet clutch motorcycle compatable. Some car oils do have the JASO-MA rating, such at shell rotella T, but most do not. If you have a wet clutch, you should look for an oil that has this label.
        Now: '79 KZ650B, '91 GSX600F Katana
        Then (sold): '92 TW200, '77 KZ650B, '87 CBR250R, '92 GSX250S, '86 XL250, '85 CB650SC
        Want: KZ1000J, CB750F Supersport, CB400SF

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          No real debate about the friction additives... if you put that in your friction wet clutch, it will slip. Most "car" oriented oils have those additives now days.

Make sure you choose something that does not have them.

There is even a really nice post on this forum that goes into details of what all the symbols mean on the back side of the oil can to explain more in detail, but I'm gonna leave it to someone else to find it for you if you don't go searching for it.

Krey
          I have used car oils in all my dirtbikes, three wheelers and all my other toys. I have never had a clutch in any of my toys slip. I don't doubt that the friction modifiers are bad, but I doubt the damage that they do.
          Last edited by 05RedKat600; 10-04-2011, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
            I have used car oils in all my dirtbikes, three wheelers and all my other toys. I have never had a clutch in any of my toys slip. I don't doubt that the friction modifiers are bad, but I doubt the damage that they do.

Instead of speaking in generalities and asumptions... look yourself and answer the question. Have you ACTUALLY put oil with friction modifiers in a bike with a wet clutch? Just because it's "car" oil, doesn't mean it had them in it. It will say it specifically on the back if it does.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Instead of speaking in generalities and asumptions... look yourself and answer the question. Have you ACTUALLY put oil with friction modifiers in a bike with a wet clutch? Just because it's "car" oil, doesn't mean it had them in it. It will say it specifically on the back if it does.

Krey
              SM/SN rated oils, Valvoline, Chevron, and Napa oil to be specific. 10W-30, 10W-40, and 20W-50 Energy Efficiency rated or whatever the hell that rating is. When I get home I'l quote the bottle.

Comment

Krey
                +1

There's no way I'd add regular car oil in my bike unless it's an emergency , and even then, I'd be draining it the first chance I got.

As for the OP........ now that you have a new pan, you want to check into a Fumoto valve. I bought one from a brother who's no longer with us, but you might still be able to track one down.
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Got my new oil pan. The two bolts on each side of the oil pan, where do I get those? I ended up stripping my old bolts in my old pan. Couldnt get them out.

Comment

Originally posted by JdanTecate View Post
                    Got my new oil pan. The two bolts on each side of the oil pan, where do I get those? I ended up stripping my old bolts in my old pan. Couldnt get them out.

I know a few poeple have posted detailed listings for the bolt sizes on the oil pan. Find those threads, and just buy local replacements. Ace, lowes, auto stores, etc...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/...005_132637.jpg
                      Last edited by JdanTecate; 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                      X