X

Do i need new forks.?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i need new forks.?

Uhh so i noticed my forks was leaking oil from the top where the pastic is at....

Do i need new ones.? i have no idea bout this

how heavy is the leak?
    "Don't steal, the government hates competition."
    "The greatest threat to religion is a man thinking for himself."
    "You could think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to stop thinking."

Comment

You need new fork SEALS, not new forks.

Comment

Hold on. You mean they're leaking from up top by the bars or from the top of the lower tubes? If it's from the top of the lower tubes then it's new fork seals and dust boots. If it's from all the way at the top then that's just weird.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          You need new fork SEALS, not new forks.
          makes more sense lol,

lemme take a picture.

Comment

there some pics

Comment

That's just blown seals. I wouldn't ride it like that since the front end is going to be sloppy as all get out but it's not expensive or difficult to fix. Order up some fork seals, dust seals and a liter of 10W fork oil. For tools you'll need a socket set, long 6mm allen socket and access to an impact wrench--either electric or air. (It's possible to do it without the impact and the allen socket although you'll have to use a screw to pull the old seal out.)

Grab a copy of the repair manual and read through the process before you start.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

i gotta remove the whole forks correct.?

Comment

It's sure easier.

I block up the front end, remove the front wheel and fender and then pull the forks down, out of the triple-tree. Doesn't take much. Loosen the fork caps a bit before-hand. If you don't have a bench vise it'll be a huge PITA if you don't and it's still easier even if you do own a bench vise. You haven't filled out your garage info yet so I don't know what model bike you have but if it's a pre-750 then you've got drain bolts on the rear sides of the forks. After you pull the front wheel go ahead and drain the forks before pulling them. It makes less mess that way. Otherwise, just have a bucket standing by after you remove the fork caps and drain the old fluid out the tops. If you have a piece of coat hanger handy with a 90 degree bend in the end you can fish the spring and washer out of each fork before turning the them upside down to drain. That way you won't have to fish the washer out of a bucket full of nasty.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

is it difficult to put it back together, and also how much oil do u put.?

Comment

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Watch the vid...

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

When selecting your fork fluid use one that is in the mid 30's cSt at 40 deg centigrade. If you pick a 10 wt you have no idea where it is at in cSt and it may or may not be the correct fluid for you.

Use the chart I have here and pick one that is mid 30's that is available in your area. If you are some distance from any store then let me know and I have the oil, dust seals on hand as well as the fluid that will be in the correct range for your forks.

Tmod

Comment

Working...
                            X