X

Just picked up my first Kat for $600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up my first Kat for $600

Well, actually its not my first Katana, I used to have a GSX250S, but its my first sportsbike over 400cc. Its definitely a little bit rough, has a terrible rattle-can paintjob, PO didn't even remove the decals first, no didnt mask off anything. The engine is in great shape though.

The only problem is that when I rev the engine, the RPMs dont drop back down very quickly and idles a little rough. Im guessing the carbs just need cleaned. Do you agree?

She's got a little over 20,000 miles on the clock, and because of how awful it looks, I got it for only $600. My plans are to remove the fairing, paint the tank properly, install a round headlight, and get a 4-1 header. Does anyone have any write-ups or instructions on how to mount the stock guages after removing the fairing?
    Now: '79 KZ650B, '91 GSX600F Katana
    Then (sold): '92 TW200, '77 KZ650B, '87 CBR250R, '92 GSX250S, '86 XL250, '85 CB650SC
    Want: KZ1000J, CB750F Supersport, CB400SF

Originally posted by Zerozoku View Post
    Well, actually its not my first Katana, I used to have a GSX250S, but its my first sportsbike over 400cc. Its definitely a little bit rough, has a terrible rattle-can paintjob, PO didn't even remove the decals first, no didnt mask off anything. The engine is in great shape though.

The only problem is that when I rev the engine, the RPMs dont drop back down very quickly and idles a little rough. Im guessing the carbs just need cleaned. Do you agree?

She's got a little over 20,000 miles on the clock, and because of how awful it looks, I got it for only $600. My plans are to remove the fairing, paint the tank properly, install a round headlight, and get a 4-1 header. Does anyone have any write-ups or instructions on how to mount the stock guages after removing the fairing?
    Hanging idle is lean condition or a vacuum leak. Clean the carbs really well. That means taking the A/F screw out and carb dip overnight, followed by a blow and reassemble with necessary new parts. If it still hangs, check for vacuum leaks. Also, you should re-sync the carbs.

Comment

Good bike

Comment

Do you use the air/fuel mixture screw to adjust the sync?
        Then (sold): '92 TW200, '77 KZ650B, '87 CBR250R, '92 GSX250S, '86 XL250, '85 CB650SC

Comment

Originally posted by Zerozoku View Post
          Do you use the air/fuel mixture screw to adjust the sync?
          Nope. Vacuum gauges and there are three screws on the butterfly linkages.

Comment

Great starter, good luck and welcome
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I agree!!!!

Pull and clean carbs - spend lots of time!!! Very well worth the effort.
              Check float levels and do a Bench Sync (as close as possible - take your time)
              Check, and adjust if needed, your valve clearances
              Look real closely at all of your carb boots
              Make sure the vacuum sealing boots on three carbs are in good shape and check the vacuum line going to the petcock.
              Sync the carbs
              If you have access to a Colortune, great!! Used to adjust the A/F screws
              Check the Sync of the carbs again

It helps to set up an old lawn mower gas tank as a remote tank - with a inline shutoff valve.
              1999 Katana 750

Comment

Will be tearing down the carbs this weekend. I also noticed that when i stop hard, the engine bogs down and almost stalls. I know this is another symptom of dirty carbs. Ive cleaned carbs before, but I dont own vacuum guages, might just have the bike shop do the sync.

Im deciding whether to do the streetfighter thing or not. Im actually kind of liking the windscreen. Its a good way to stay dry when its raining.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement windscreen since mine has been painted???

Comment

good pick up for the money and good luck on the restoration!

Comment

I have a complete set of 06 fairings for sale if you want to update it's look.
                    "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
                    "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement.

Are the '06 fairings are interchangeable? How would you mount the guages?

Also, can anyone tell me, would an exhaust system for a newer model katana also fit the Pre-Kats? I would think that the only difference would be the mounting bracket that bolts to the frame, but that is easily modified. I can find plenty of exhausts systems for the newer Kats, but nothin for the Pre-kats.

Comment

Gotta get the oil pan, oil pickup, and header from a Post kat, then you can use post Kat cans/mufflers on the pre's.

Comment

Had the same problem with mine, cleaned the carbs really good, used Seafoam, and now running mid-octane gas and problem is solved. If you think your Kat looks rough, take a look at the pics of mine the day I bought it! I still think you got good buy!
                          Still riding on back sissy girl???

Comment

oh, so its a little bit more tricky than I thought. I will just keep looking for a pre-Kat exhaust. If anyone has an old 4-1 that would fit my bike I might be interested.

Originally posted by KatanaGirl.00 View Post
                            Had the same problem with mine, cleaned the carbs really good, used Seafoam, and now running mid-octane gas and problem is solved. If you think your Kat looks rough, take a look at the pics of mine the day I bought it! I still think you got good buy!
                            Any reason why you dont run high-octane? Also, where can I see your pics?
                            Last edited by Zerozoku; 09-29-2011, 02:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Been running mid cause someone told me the high is not good to run all the time. ??? Figured mid would be a good middle-of-the-road safe choice. lol

You can go to my profile/my garage. I posted a few more pics there. Need to get them all together and uploaded on photo bucket...just haven't had the time. Lots more to do over the winter...just wanted to get it in good riding condition while I still have a few good riding days left.
                              Still riding on back sissy girl???

Comment

Working...
                              X