X

Throttle cable adjustment??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle cable adjustment??

Ok so I finished rebuilding the carbs , mounting everything back on the bike (05 gsx600). Then I realized my throttle is hard to twist and it doesnt return to closed position without me manually doing it. I adjusted the throttle and the return cable back and forth but I cant seem to figure it out. Any help would be great

I would say that you routed the cables wrong and they are binding. It's worth a look as stiffness like that is usually a pinched cable and not an adjustment issue.

Comment

The only movement of cables was removing them from the carbs themself and loosening them etc to get them off and trying to fix the problem. My bike looks identical to yours as well.

Comment

I don't suppose you switched the push pull on them when you hooked them back up? Also, take them back off the carbs. If the problem is still there, it's the cables. If it goes away, the problem is with your carbs OR how you hooked them to the carbs.

Comment

ok so i pulled the carbs back off. And it does seem to be really hard to get the throttle to move manually when pulling by hand on the carbs. Do you happen to know how I go about adjusting the tension on the actual carbs themselves?

Comment

The simple steps to resolve this issue...

1. Remove cables entirely.

Check: casing is not crimpled, cut, or broken.
            Check: You can easily move the cable end back and forth by grabbing the very end and push/pull it into the sleeve. If the cable want's to fold over, instead of move in the cable.... then lube/clean until it will, or replace with a good cable.

Once you have made sure the cables are good and will be putting them back on the bike... shorten the length adjuster on the cable to as short as possible before install.

2. Make sure the carbs (with no cables) can be fully opened and snap back closed when mounted in place and ready to put the cables on. Make sure you making it fully open and close.

3. Triple check your routing path for the cables before putting them on, and then carefully mount them making sure you are not making any sharp bends.

4. Mount only the pull cable. Make sure before you tighten it down that the throttle grip will move the butterflys open and when you let go snap shut. When you tighten it down, make sure the throttle at fully closed will turn/rotate aproximately 1/4" in turn before the cable moves the throttle bodies on the carbs. You have to have that play to prevent the cables from biding on each other, and the rpms from rising when you turn the handle bars.

5. Mount the return cable. Make sure you also have 1/4" play in it before it will pull the throttle bodies closed. Check this by turning the throttle open, use a hand to hold the throttle open on the carbs, then turn the throttle grip closed slightly. Does it move 1/4" turn before pulling it closed?

Final adjustments then should be done on the cable fine adjustment at the bars.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks alot for the help krey. That will make the re install much easier. But now the problem that im having is the butterflies are hard to open and do not close when released when im doing it directly from the carbs off the bike. When I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs I had no problem w this and did not take the four carbs apart from each other. Any help is appreciated. Even by text or email. 480 512 1787. [email protected]

Comment

I would recomend full disassembly and dip in a chem dip to remove the build up causing them to be stuck/sticky.

Something like berryman's chem dip.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Got the chem dip and carb 1 is soaking. Any reccomendations on duration? Can says 30 min but I have read elsewhere of up to 12 hrs?

Comment

ACETONE, Or Kroil, on a rag! manualy open butterfliese and clean the side walls of carbs where they move, Otherwise as the others say Chem dip them take that varnish off! Good luck!

Comment

In reference to my previous q. I let the carb soak for about an hr and a half with berrymans chem dip and it did great. Wish I would have used this first prior to hours and carb cleaner, rags, brush and my air compressor cleaning

Comment

Working...
                      X