X

Need your seats Re-covered?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
    I am going to try to recover my seat , and since the shipping would be a really bad deal for me over here in europe I am going to try to do it myself.

I have a couple of questions:

1. can I recover the seat with one whole sheet without sewing several parts together. The question here is really : will the material stretch where there are big curves for example wher ethe seat goes up in the rear there will be excess material in the bend.

2. which material should I get , there are hundreds on those pages. which one is best for my use with a lot of rain days.

3. shall I staple or glue ?

1. No. Its possible, but it wont look quite right, you will be able to see the folds around the sides of the seat.

2. marine vinyl is a good choice

3. staple. Ive never seen a seat pan that used glue.
    Now: '79 KZ650B, '91 GSX600F Katana
    Then (sold): '92 TW200, '77 KZ650B, '87 CBR250R, '92 GSX250S, '86 XL250, '85 CB650SC
    Want: KZ1000J, CB750F Supersport, CB400SF

Comment

to answer your question there mammut, u can use one piece but its a challenge to get it to stretch around the seat, but it can be done. your best bet would be to start in the middle of the seat and work your way to the back n front. and yes staple it. glue wouldnt hold for very long. and yes use marine grade vinyl. marine grade is resistant to fading, and water. obviously. and its cold crackin temp is usually pretty low. i think like -10 degrees F.
      Combat Veteran of the United States Marine Corps-0311

Comment

i did the one on my ninja i used marine vinal from a local fabric shop and some thick hardware store staples it took two people alot of time and a lot of cussing but it looked nice when it was done

Comment

thanks for the answers
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

corbin gunfigther

Can you do the gunfigther style. If so how much? That style was use on kawasaki kz , and made by corbin. Looks more like a solo seat.
            LET'S GO AND RIDE

Comment

holy sweet custom katana, batman! That paint and seat are SICK!
              Like to dive? www.ScubaHides.com
              Drive a Wrangler? www.TakeEmOff.com

Comment

This sounds pretty b'dass. I mos def would love to get my seat tailor re-did once my mods and paint are all complete! Thanks a lot, Katana0311. Nice work.

-mg!-

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                  I haven't recovered my own seat so I can't answer question 1...

2. My theory is to use a Marine Vinyl, thats what they use on boats, and the seats on boats are weathered just as much or more than the seats on bikes.

3. Check your current seat. I know my pre98 was stapled down so I'd say Staple. Then again I have never done my own seat so maybe some one with more experience can chime in.
                  ALWAYS STAPLE! lol start with a spray (aerosol) glue and then staple it down... you can handle all the curves and shapes of the seat by stretching the material... a lil bit of an art and a lil bit of trial and error...

Comment

well im gettin a new truck driving job. so ill be home every nite, so if any of you Kat riders want that seat redone for next yr PM me and see wat we kan work out.
                    Combat Veteran of the United States Marine Corps-0311

Comment

Working...
                    X