X

passenger comfort?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• passenger comfort?

My gf has the most sensitive *** in the effing word!... I have had a custom seat made for her with more cushion, denser cushion, and a vinyl called "Grabber" so she doesn't slide, and she's still complaining about how the bike hurts her "seat".

Possible problems are the seat is tilted too high due to a bandit 1200 shock. but to be honest I love the way the bike turns in with the tall shock and it gives me more cornering clearance . I was thinking about getting a more adjustable shock doesn't raise the tail up so high... but i like it the way it is and would only do a swap if a similar affect can be achieved.

my body position... GSXR clipons might make it too low for her to reach me comfortably. ( i want risers anyways)

The 600 seat could be just obnoxious to her bum because of the split. so I'm kicking the idea around of either switching frames to a B6/B12 or kat750 or switching tails/ seats to get a non split seat.

last choice is to just swap the GF .... but then I will be in the news... ( PIPE BOMB KILLS MOTORCYCLIST)

I am trying to build the best sport touring bike I can with passenger comfort enabling at least a 3-4 hour ride. What am I to do?
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

last choice is to just swap the GF .... but then I will be in the news... ( PIPE BOMB KILLS MOTORCYCLIST)

Ride alone ..................get her on her own ride

Comment

you might try getting her a pair of bicycle shorts with the padded azz. i have worn mine on rides. helps a little.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

my thoughts as well.
        "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
        1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
        2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

cheapest to get rid of GF, or feed her well to pad up the backside from the inside
          sigpic

Comment

Maybe she needs to try different positions. Try hands on the tank, hands on the grab bar, hands on the waist, or maybe even one of the belts with the hand holds.

Other possibility: maybe she just doesn't like riding (possibly with you.)
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
              Maybe she needs to try different positions. Try hands on the tank, hands on the grab bar, hands on the waist, or maybe even one of the belts with the hand holds.

Other possibility: maybe she just doesn't like riding (possibly with you.)
              yeah that's crossed my mind, and sometimes she just wont have anyother choice. and for those times i'd like her to be comfortable...

im going to suggest bicycling shorts right now, she said she will try it.
              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                My gf has the most sensitive *** in the effing word!... I have had a custom seat made for her with more cushion, denser cushion, and a vinyl called "Grabber" so she doesn't slide, and she's still complaining about how the bike hurts her "seat".

Possible problems are the seat is tilted too high due to a bandit 1200 shock. but to be honest I love the way the bike turns in with the tall shock and it gives me more cornering clearance . I was thinking about getting a more adjustable shock doesn't raise the tail up so high... but i like it the way it is and would only do a swap if a similar affect can be achieved.

my body position... GSXR clipons might make it too low for her to reach me comfortably. ( i want risers anyways)

The 600 seat could be just obnoxious to her bum because of the split. so I'm kicking the idea around of either switching frames to a B6/B12 or kat750 or switching tails/ seats to get a non split seat.

I am trying to build the best sport touring bike I can with passenger comfort enabling at least a 3-4 hour ride. What am I to do?
                Before you spend all the time and money swapping things out, consider just purchasing a more sport touring bike (i know the kat is sport touring class but is still more "sport" to me than "touring"....another option is to maybe get a back rest for her so she doesnt feel like she is going to fall off, that way she can move around a bit while you guys are driving
                Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                Current Bikes:
                1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

What's hurting? Where? Is it all over, or specific points of pressure?

Why does it hurt. Is it pressure points or muscle pains?

How is she seated when on the bike? How does she hold on? Is she tensed up or relaxed?

Does she move around when your riding down the road. Is she on top of you, or back a bit towards the tail?

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What about one of these? I've never seen one on a bike in person but noticed them on ebay a while back and thought of it reading this post.
                    sigpic2006 GSX600F

Comment

I have to agree with her changing up her positions and how she holds on. I have a few miles on the back seat. I prefer the pre-600 seat to the pre-750 as they are more contoured.

After a couple of hours, but butt will start getting sore, but stopping and walking around a few minutes helps with that. It's the same when I'm riding my own, I have to stop and walk a bit every hour or two. She needs to find her comfort zone on the bike and that takes time in the seat and some experimentation.

That being said, it may be that she'll never truly be comfortable on the Kat. I know Psycho)01's lady prefers the back seat of his gixxer to the Kat. But Krayman (the texter in the infamous photo) hated the back seat of the gix, but could ride the hell out of the Kat and not their Futura.

You might try to ride with another 2-up couple and see if their back seater can give her some pointers
                      Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

gas tank handle bars... never seen that before, interesting...

Comment

We had a corbin seat on the Kat when we used to ride 2 up. I loved that seat, even put a small backrest on it. very comfortable and didn't slide at all. We made a few trips to Florida 2 up and it was just fine. We normally stop about every 100 miles anyway to stretch and hydrate. When I took over the Kat we had to sell the seat. I'm so short that I couldn't touch the ground at all with the corbin, it's wider while standing but very comfy when your feet are on the pegs (so my husband says). Good luck with finding the right solution. Like someone else said, have her get her own bike that's the better solution

Comment

Smack azz harder to build up callouses.
                            When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                              Before you spend all the time and money swapping things out, consider just purchasing a more sport touring bike (i know the kat is sport touring class but is still more "sport" to me than "touring"....another option is to maybe get a back rest for her so she doesnt feel like she is going to fall off, that way she can move around a bit while you guys are driving
                              If I buy another bike for pleasure it will be the R1200gs and I'm still saving for it.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              What's hurting? Where? Is it all over, or specific points of pressure?

Why does it hurt. Is it pressure points or muscle pains?

How is she seated when on the bike? How does she hold on? Is she tensed up or relaxed?

Does she move around when your riding down the road. Is she on top of you, or back a bit towards the tail?

Krey
                              Getting her to answer questions like where and how it hurts generally is like pulling teeth.

her riding position is actually pretty far from me toward the tail. and she generally just holds my hips. she seems as relaxed as "SHE" can be... she used to get nervous when she left the valley. idk about now. (bikes broke so can't find out yet.)

Originally posted by slip304 View Post
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...item588f820f29

What about one of these? I've never seen one on a bike in person but noticed them on ebay a while back and thought of it reading this post.
                              Two problems with that... 1) she will hate it because it will make her lean down too much and 2) it will get in the way of a tank bag, which means she will have to carry more on her back... with more lean too. yeah she wouldn't use that.

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                              I have to agree with her changing up her positions and how she holds on. I have a few miles on the back seat. I prefer the pre-600 seat to the pre-750 as they are more contoured.

After a couple of hours, but butt will start getting sore, but stopping and walking around a few minutes helps with that. It's the same when I'm riding my own, I have to stop and walk a bit every hour or two. She needs to find her comfort zone on the bike and that takes time in the seat and some experimentation.

That being said, it may be that she'll never truly be comfortable on the Kat. I know Psycho)01's lady prefers the back seat of his gixxer to the Kat. But Krayman (the texter in the infamous photo) hated the back seat of the gix, but could ride the hell out of the Kat and not their Futura.

You might try to ride with another 2-up couple and see if their back seater can give her some pointers
                              I actually don't know of to many touring passengers i told here to sign up here at KR to talk to some of the riders and passengers here for there in put.

Originally posted by curly's chik View Post
                              We had a corbin seat on the Kat when we used to ride 2 up. I loved that seat, even put a small backrest on it. very comfortable and didn't slide at all. We made a few trips to Florida 2 up and it was just fine. We normally stop about every 100 miles anyway to stretch and hydrate. When I took over the Kat we had to sell the seat. I'm so short that I couldn't touch the ground at all with the corbin, it's wider while standing but very comfy when your feet are on the pegs (so my husband says). Good luck with finding the right solution. Like someone else said, have her get her own bike that's the better solution
                              This is why I wanted to switch to the 750 seat. as corbin does not make a seat for the pre 600.

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
                              Smack azz harder to build up callouses.
                              hahaha this seems like it would work
                              Tony
                              94 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X