Front lights on a GSX750F

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front lights on a GSX750F

Hi All,

If one more person asks me if I've got a front light out on my 1999 GSX750F I may commit an act that carries a long prison sentance!
    What are the options with changing lights or altering the lights so both will come on on dip/main? Is it a simple change? Has anyoneone done anything different fitting different lights etc?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks all
    Graham
    Last edited by emomitch; 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM.
    Ok, so i'm from the UK, don't hold it against me! I love my 1999 GSX750F.

Originally posted by emomitch View Post
    Hi All,

If one more person asks me if I've got a front light out on my 1999 GSX750F I may commit an act that carries a long prison sentance!
    What are the options with changing lights or altering the lights so both will come on on dip/main? Is it a simple change? Has anyoneone done anything different fitting different lights etc?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks all
    Graham
    Uh, both lights are supposed to be on for both low and high beam. So yeah, you DO have a light out.

Comment

Never owned a post.....but what happens when you ride around in high-beam?

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
      Uh, both lights are supposed to be on for both low and high beam. So yeah, you DO have a light out.
      There ya go!
      Last edited by Slofuze; 09-06-2011, 02:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Mmmmm, would be a wierd combination of lights out!

Only one side comes on on dip (I think the rhs) and stays in dip whatever is selected, the other side (I think the lhs) has nothing on then comes on when full beam is selected then returns to off when I go back to dipped lights.

Somebody please clear this up for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
          Never owned a post.....but what happens when you ride around in high-beam?

There ya go!
          Unless the European models are different, but I doubt they are.

For the OP: They should both be "H4" style bulbs. If they aren't, this may explain your issue.
          Last edited by 05RedKat600; 09-06-2011, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Unless the European models are different, but I doubt they are.

For the OP: They should both be "H4" style bulbs. If they aren't, this may explain your issue.

I believe they are different. Pretty sure someone else has mentioned this on a Euro bike.

It's the wireing most likely... you may want to check, probably will find that there is no "low" power lead on the one side. A jumper over from the other side would probably fix that issue.

The bulbs should be the same.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

FWIW, I face the same thing on my new FZR. Gonna mod the headlights so they are both on, though.

Comment

Right, I am a UK rider as well and this is my config of lights coming on :

From switch being off (full right) to one position to the left (middle position for sidelights) I get the little one on above the main headlights.

Next one over to full left position gives dipped main beam with both lights on.

Flick the switch on the left handlebar for full beam (both main lights, maximum brightness).

Oh and my bike is a post '98 before anyone asks....
                Last edited by delbutler; 09-06-2011, 03:39 PM.
                My country is the world...... my religion is to do good.

Comment

Thanks guys. Looks like i'm going to have to have a look at the wiring then. I'm taking the fairings off this weekend to put in a new set of instrament pod so will have a look at the bulbs/wiring. Although not knowing exactly what i'm looking for it could be an interesting days work!
                  Has anyone changed the headlights completely, not sure if there is anything aftermarket for these bikes?

Originally posted by delbutler View Post
                  Right, I am a UK rider as well and this is my config of lights coming on :

From switch being off (full right) to one position to the left (middle position for sidelights) I get the little one on above the main headlights.

Next one over to full left position gives dipped main beam with both lights on.

Flick the switch on the left handlebar for full beam (both main lights, maximum brightness).

Oh and my bike is a post '98 before anyone asks....
                  Looks like i'm going to have to really look into this one. Thanks for that info delbutler. It looks as if there's something badly wrong with mine, I'll update after the weekend and i've done my investigating. Notice you're in Falkirk, I actually bought my bike up there in February. It still needs a lot of work but i'm getting there. Just need to find a a GSX750F lover here in Carlisle to help me do a service on the bike!
                  Last edited by emomitch; 09-06-2011, 03:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

UK 2004 GSX750F dipped beam 1 side only lights up. Main beam and the other side comes on.

Owners manual shows bulbs as left H7 and right H1. Apparently Australia and Canada have twin filament H4 Bulbs.

I have the same problem with people thinking I have a light out.

Stobie

Comment

I have both mine running, i had regular h4 bulbs in
                      And they worked fine. Yest i put HID's on and i got the bi-xenon bulbs for hi/lo and both are running, i did not have to change anything to make them both work, my only priblem
                      Is that stupid wire clip used to hold the bulbs in, i need smthg different to hold them better those clips suck, and even with reg bulbs they do not hold well. Any ideas?

Comment

my '99 gsx600f does the same, only the left lamp comes on on dip and the right comes on with main. would be good to get them both on when on dip, if it was a simple job!

Comment

Originally posted by Stobie View Post
                          UK 2004 GSX750F dipped beam 1 side only lights up. Main beam and the other side comes on.

Owners manual shows bulbs as left H7 and right H1. Apparently Australia and Canada have twin filament H4 Bulbs.

I have the same problem with people thinking I have a light out.

Stobie
                          Thanks Stobie, sounds like we have the same issue here! I wonder if any of our friends across the pond can tell us exactly what we need to change to turn our lights into a 2 light dip / 2 light main beam! Anyone got any detailed help for us?
                          Graham

Comment

Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like you may need to swap the connectors for the three contact ones that were on US and Canada models. It's possible that you have the three contact connectors but just don't have one of the contacts connected to anything.

Get a pair of H4 bulbs and install jumper wires from the hot (+12v) wire on each connector to the unused connection point on the opposite headlight's connector. According to the wiring diagram it really is that simple.

If you haven't already got it, you can download the repair manual from the wiki.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

In my understanding, H1 is high beam only and H7 low beam only (but probably stays on with high). The mountings for H1 and H7 will be different from H4, so it aint gunna be a direct swap of bulbs and a little cross wiring. You may be able to change the bulb mountings if they can be removed from the reflector, (and if the reflectors / lenses aren't "tuned" specifically for those bulbs) but I expect the easiest and probably cheapest solution will be to source a second hand US headlight assembly (too expensive in Oz!) and rewire the lights with H4 plugs and high/low power both sides. Could even be headlights available on this site.

Here are the 3 bulbs you're trying to inter-change (click "Motorcycle Bulbs"):

Last edited by TRPUT; 09-06-2011, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X