X

stolen license plate?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stolen license plate?

This past Friday I rode to work then ran some errands after work before going home. When I got home, I noticed my license plate was missing. I could have lost it just a couple hours to days before I noticed it missing. I first assumed the nuts had vibrated loose, but some friends seem to think it was more likely stolen because it was a motorcycle plate. I find this suprising. Has anyone ever had their plate stolen or had it fall off?

Call the police and go get a new one
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

my buddys dad is a cop and he said the tags he runs the MOST is bike tags because theyre stolen so often. he said hed pull em over and theyd have no class m licence no insurance etc etc. people steal period. but yeah call police and file it as stolen and get a new one. good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by sky1865 View Post
        This past Friday I rode to work then ran some errands after work before going home. When I got home, I noticed my license plate was missing. I could have lost it just a couple hours to days before I noticed it missing. I first assumed the nuts had vibrated loose, but some friends seem to think it was more likely stolen because it was a motorcycle plate. I find this suprising. Has anyone ever had their plate stolen or had it fall off?

I've seen them fall off following a bike. I've also seen a muffler fall off, a tank bag fall off, and a chick on the hevier side fall off when a seat collapsed in a parking lot after someone cut the lower subframe brace and didn't think it was important enough to replace.

Never seen a tag stolen, but I guess it could happen. Especially if they needed something for the back of another stolen motorcycle they were wanting to ride.

Might be how the thieves put 8k miles on the bike they stole from Badfaerie in the 11 months they had it.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          and a chick on the hevier side fall off when a seat collapsed in a parking lot after someone cut the lower subframe brace and didn't think it was important enough to replace.
          And that's why you don't let the chubby ones ride!
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I do believe if I had seen that, I'd still be laughing.

Comment

Well I guess both are possible, I'll never know which it was.. thanks for the replies, and I finally filed the report today.. shouldn't be much trouble to get a replacement.

Comment

I had a plate stolen while the bike was parked at the Colorado Ren-Fair back in '89 and another one stolen while the bike was parked in a shed in my back yard. Anytime that happens or you just lose the plate you want to report it as quick as possible. It wasn't a big deal getting a replacement and I sure don't want some twit running around with my plates. It'd be just my luck if I started getting tickets in the mail for their speeding or have the cops show up at my door after the twit ran or used the bike during a robbery or something.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I've had the opposite happen when a cop accused me of having a stolen bike, when in fact it was mine with my plates. What a jerk.

Comment

I got to ask ..........what gives your number plates, do you get new ones each year as a form of road tax ?

ps I'm from the UK
                    Toys.........
                    1985 LT250 - modified
                    1991 GSX750F - Doner for Bobber project
                    2004 GSXR 1000 - stockish
                    2000 Turbo Busa - very modified - now sold

Comment

Each state is a little different. In Ohio you will keep the same plate from year to year and pay a set amount each year to register your vehicle. If your vehicle is not registered, you can get a ticket if caught.

In other states you may pay a fee based on the value of your vehicle.

Comment

thanks

we keep the plate from new [ it stays with the bike for its life ] and pay road tax .........either 6 or 12 months at a time.

one price for upto 600 cc and another price for everything over
                        Toys.........
                        1985 LT250 - modified
                        1991 GSX750F - Doner for Bobber project
                        2004 GSXR 1000 - stockish
                        2000 Turbo Busa - very modified - now sold

Comment

While at college 5 years ago I had the plates stolen off of my shadow while it was sitting in my driveway.

It was slightly annoying because I had to pay $25 to get a new one issued.

Comment

well to avoid that problem here in FL i bought a set of Willy G Skull Plate Hardware at a local HD dealership (they were 20 bucks when i bought them- now they are almost 30 bucks) I took the bolts to a local Ace Hardware and replaced the nuts with Nylock Nuts (Aircraft Nuts)
                            Reason the Irregular shape of the Head of the bolt is a theft deterent

Here's the link for the bolts http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Comment

I've lost mine before. Blame zip ties being crap. It will be an expensive lession. Btw how much do you're friends know about bikes, do they ride also?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X