X

front brake troubles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front brake troubles

so today after i get off work, i get on my bike and the front brake seemed to be stiff... i tried to roll it a little and it got worse after i pulled back on the brake lever. worse to the point that it locked down the tire. removed the plastic covers on the calipers and sure enough, the right side was stuck. it was rolling fine this morning with absolutely no issues at all... anyone else had this problem before? (all stock brake system, hoses, m/c, calipers, rotors... all factory components) plus it was 110 out there today. would the blazing heat have anything to do with this?

oh, and i am not sure its got the DOT4 fluid in it like the cap says and for SURE doesnt have DOT 5 either... im thinkin DOT3 MAYBE, but the fluid WILL be changed TONIGHT!
    1995 Katana 600 Street Fighter, Daily driver. -TOTALLED
    2006 Honda CBR 1000rr stretched 10" -TOTALLED
    1972 Kawasaki H2 Triple, New Play Toy...

Could be some water in the fluid. In that heat, it can expand and cause that issue. However, I think it's more likely you have a bad piston on that side, as both brakes are linked together.

Factory components is NOT a good thing. The brake lines should be changed every 5 or 6 years if they are rubber. You should also consider rebuilding both calipers, as I have a feeling they need it.

It could also be a small piece of stuff keeping the fluid from bleeding back into the master cylinder......I'd start with a flush with new fluid and see what happens.

Comment

bout to do a tear down n see wut i find... Thanx man

Comment

Im with redkat...flush it with new fluid first and see what happens...
        "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

new fluid wouldnt have done any good after what we found...

the little valve in the brake m/cyl that allows the fluid to return to the resevoir after the brakes are released had rust in its hole which completely stopped it up. removed the master and drained it, cleaned the holes out and ran some WD40 thru it to get any remaining rust out. next, i decided i wanted to clean out the calipers to insure no more rust was in the system... upon doing this we found ALOT of nastiness in the fluid that came out of them... so now i got the calipers on my desk at work and am about to tear them apart and give em a good bath.

new brake pads are required beyond this point also as the others were worn on the top and not so much at the bottom... obviously due to the calipers being partially stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by 95 katana View Post
            new fluid wouldnt have done any good after what we found...

the little valve in the brake m/cyl that allows the fluid to return to the resevoir after the brakes are released had rust in its hole which completely stopped it up. removed the master and drained it, cleaned the holes out and ran some WD40 thru it to get any remaining rust out. next, i decided i wanted to clean out the calipers to insure no more rust was in the system... upon doing this we found ALOT of nastiness in the fluid that came out of them... so now i got the calipers on my desk at work and am about to tear them apart and give em a good bath.

new brake pads are required beyond this point also as the others were worn on the top and not so much at the bottom... obviously due to the calipers being partially stuck.
            You will most likely need a rebuild kit for the calipers and the master cylinder. If I found that, and it were my life they were stopping, I'd rebuild them.

Comment

the zuki shop here in town has NEW calipers for $98/pair!!! WOOT and they also have a SV650 M/Cyl in stock for $60... this is the route I'm going, NEW! the S/S brake lines will be here after lunch too for $25. Im in heaven on a Suzuki! My CBR front brake system cost me $600 to just put the calipers, rotors, pads, and lines on! What a Rip-Off!... maybe i should convert the Honda to Zuki brakes LMFAO!

Comment

Nice find! And good call on the new parts.

The SS lines are one of the best upgrades you can do.

Comment

Where'd you find as brakelines for $25. Do tell!!!
                  When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Suzuki/Aprilia Shop here in my town of occupation. Savannah Ga. Last set they have BUT the manager states he will be ordering more if more people want them. he said they RARELY sell them because they also fabricate steel braided lines right there in the shop. my thoughts = Wicked!!!

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
                      Where'd you find as brakelines for $25. Do tell!!!

Ditto on that, am looking at $120+ for front pipes for my BM

Oh Right , good deal
                      Last edited by Andcath; 08-12-2011, 01:28 PM.

Comment

My CBR front brake system cost me $600 to just put the calipers, rotors, pads, and lines on! What a Rip-Off!... maybe i should convert the Honda to Zuki brakes LMFAO!
                        Thats because the brakes on a CBR are impossibly better and higher quality...
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Suzuki/Aprilia Shop here in my town of occupation. Savannah Ga. Last set they have BUT the manager states he will be ordering more if more people want them. he said they RARELY sell them because they also fabricate steel braided lines right there in the shop. my thoughts = Wicked!!!
                          They get more in let me know. I may have to have you ship me a set if your mark-up isn't too high
                          When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm View Post
                            They get more in let me know. I may have to have you ship me a set if your mark-up isn't too high
                            10-4 man. soon as they open tomorrow, ill go in and have him order a couple more sets of them. dont worry yourself with any markup lol, all Id charge is shipping and Ill even include the sales reciepts in the box

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            Thats because the brakes on a CBR are impossibly better and higher quality...
                            youd assume so but by eyeballing the parts, theyre made basically the same... my RR doesnt have ABS, just a standard dual disc system... the $$$ mark up is due to it being a Honda... everything Honda makes is GOLDEN to them...
                            Last edited by 95 katana; 08-12-2011, 02:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                            X