No announcement yet.
X

Gsxr 600 fit in kat 600?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so after reading these posts, I'm to assume that I can use a post 98 engine instead? Without actually changing anything on the bike? REDKAT, I read that entire post and it's geared towards 89+ but doesn't say much about the 88. But the differences vie noticed so far are minimal.

There are lots of post 98 engines up here at the local bike salvage yard, but i was told that I would have to use the cdi, alternator, starter, carb, wiring harness and exhaust from the new engine. This turned a 700 dollar engine into $1500. Which is more than I would sell the bike for. But after reading everything posted here, let me just make sure I understand, before I go pick up a few engines:

I can use a post 98 engine in the 88 katana frame
    I can use the original 88 carbs with said engine
    I can use original alternator, cdi, starter, and wiring harness with newer engine?!?!?
    I need exhaust from newer engine.

These are all 600's

If this won't work with an 88 lemme know. I'll at least be able to do it with the 91 that I have. But I have 3 88's that I'd love to get up and running

Comment

Originally posted by damon69 View Post
      Ok so after reading these posts, I'm to assume that I can use a post 98 engine instead? Without actually changing anything on the bike? REDKAT, I read that entire post and it's geared towards 89+ but doesn't say much about the 88. But the differences vie noticed so far are minimal.

There are lots of post 98 engines up here at the local bike salvage yard, but i was told that I would have to use the cdi, alternator, starter, carb, wiring harness and exhaust from the new engine. This turned a 700 dollar engine into $1500. Which is more than I would sell the bike for. But after reading everything posted here, let me just make sure I understand, before I go pick up a few engines:

I can use a post 98 engine in the 88 katana frame
      I can use the original 88 carbs with said engine
      I can use original alternator, cdi, starter, and wiring harness with newer engine?!?!?
      I need exhaust from newer engine.

These are all 600's

If this won't work with an 88 lemme know. I'll at least be able to do it with the 91 that I have. But I have 3 88's that I'd love to get up and running
      Yes to all of that. There might be a slight modification on the exhaust to make it fit if you go with the OEM can, I suggest an adjustable mounting aftermarket can (looks better, sounds better) but the OEM can be made to work.

You will want to pull the alternator out of your engine, and put it on the newer one as well to match up with your wiring harness. It should not be a problem to do that.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

You'll run into problems with the 1988 carbs on a 98+ engine. The 88-89 sync ports are on the intake boots on the cylinder head. EVERY other Katana model has the sync ports on the carbs. You have two options. Use the 1988 intake boots. Use a set of carbs that doesn't suck. 90-97 600, NOT 98-06.

Comment

thanks so much for all your help....this will save me a tonne of time and money.

Now onto my next question: i've seen on a few postings around here that there are people on katriders that can get parts for considerably cheaper than i might pay at a dealer.

I have an '02 600 engine in my garage right now that needs a top end rebuild. but i'm looking at about 400+ dollars from a dealer.

Gaskets and rings are pretty much all i need. if you guys know of anyone on here that can give a good price (shipped to canada) that'll save me one engine that i'd have to buy

Comment

Working...
          X