X

Need a bigger rear tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a bigger rear tire

Okay, my '92 600 needs a wider rear tire, right now its a 150. I've been trying to find on here somewhere what the "easiest" option is. Looking to get about a 180. Whats the "quickest/easiest" mod or swap?

Needs? I doubt it needs a wider tire, lots of kats run just fine with the stock sized tires. But if you want a wider rear tire the easiest way would be to buy one of kreylyn's widened sa's. That is if he is still making them. Other than that, depending on time/money/experience constraints lots of stuff can be made to fit (gsxr, busa, etc). Do a search for swingarm swaps and find out what you like, that would probably be your best starting point.

Oh, and you won't be able to put a 180 on it, but post kats have a 4.5" rim which is an inch wider than the pre's and that I hear is a fairly easy swap.
    Last edited by 5forty2; 07-15-2011, 11:04 PM.
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Originally posted by Nevarric View Post
      Okay, my '92 600 needs a wider rear tire, right now its a 150. I've been trying to find on here somewhere what the "easiest" option is. Looking to get about a 180. Whats the "quickest/easiest" mod or swap?
      Swap the bike, since you don't appreciate the fact that it was designed the way it was for max performance. Better yet....look at your "cluck strips".... I've still got 1/4 to 1/2" to go on my current ride, and it's got a 180 rear.(The rest will probably only come off if I do a track day somewhere.) You might be happier just seeing if a 160 will fit. Cheaper.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

If you're trying to look cool at Hooters bike night, you have the wrong bike.

Comment

http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Ummmm.... I was trying to be diplomatic
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
              Ummmm.... I was trying to be diplomatic
              That comment was not directed towards you. It was for the OP who seems to think his bike needs a 180.

Comment

Originally posted by 5forty2 View Post
                ...buy one of kreylyn's widened sa's.
                add a tl1k rear wheel, then add my 5&5 sprocket kit to get the correct offset for the chain. you will be in for a few hundred for the set up.. a better 150 will be cheaper and less hassle.

don't try and put the 180 on that 4.5" wheel.. trust us... even putting the 160 on the 4.5 wheel with change the profile of the tire.
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Needs
                  Show us your chicken strips and we can tell you if you "need" them.
                  "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
                  "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

Classic! We have those 'round here...

Comment

Bikes are cool even if they are crap. Nothing like two wheels. Nothing. A biker is a biker, just know what you have and f everyone else. Just chill , and enjoy what you ride
                      "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
                      "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

Okay, my '92 600 needs a wider rear tire, right now its a 150. I've been trying to find on here somewhere what the "easiest" option is. Looking to get about a 180.
                        Stop. No it doesn't "need" it. You WANT it, and it's completely unnecessary on a Kat.

Whats the "quickest/easiest" mod or swap?
                        The quickest/easiest solution to any problem is almost always the wrong one. In the case of your life on 2 wheels, it's always the wrong one.

+1
                        Originally posted by Drinknthink View Post
                        Needs
                        Show us your chicken strips and we can tell you if you "need" them.
                        To the OP: You don't need a 180 tire. IF you go up to the 4.5" post wheel, you'll be fine with a 160/60, but DON'T put one on a 3.5" pre wheel. Before you do this though, check with the tire manufacturer's recommendations for rim width on their tires. I'm not trying to be a d*ck and p*ss on your dreams, just don't want you doing something 1) stupid or 2) extremely dangerous, both of which have very bad results. And I may be trying to beat a little maturity into your decision making processes. You'll spend close to a grand on this new swingarm/wheel/tire setup. Or you could go get the best 150 tire that fits your rim (likely a pilot road 3) for under $300/set and have a MUCH better riding experience.
                        sigpic
                        "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

That comment was not directed towards you. It was for the OP who seems to think his bike needs a 180.
                          I know
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I like my 180 on my 5.5" rim. Like it alot.

I don't do bike nights... I do live in an area where EVERY road is curvy....

I have no issues keeping up with everyone else.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

see what you started

all the

KREYLYN 180 Mod. God

"The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                              1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                              2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X