X

Help On Jets!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help On Jets!!!

Okay so I've had my '92 600 for a couple weeks. I've completed your normal don't believe the PO maintenance i.e. brakes, oil, oil filter. Also got new tires sprockets and chains as well as a couple other things. My problem now and was to begin with but not preventing riding, is it won't idle. Now I've got vacuum gauges on the way to synch the carbs (mechanic hourly rate would put me 90% of the way to buying my own so why not) and i'm sure this will fix it PROBABLY. But I also want to know if anyone has a 600 with V&H exhaust and pod filters that has put different jets in. The guy I bought it from thought he was a mechanic, and although what little he did was okay he didn't understand the effect he was having on fuel/air mixture and gasses flow. I'm going to be overhauling the carbs soon and thinking of ordering jets but not sure where to start. I went to school for aviation mechanics not motorcycles and although i know what needs done, jets are a pain in the ***!

MY FIRST POST BY THE WAY!

Originally posted by Nevarric View Post
    Okay so I've had my '92 600 for a couple weeks. I've completed your normal don't believe the PO maintenance i.e. brakes, oil, oil filter. Also got new tires sprockets and chains as well as a couple other things. My problem now and was to begin with but not preventing riding, is it won't idle. Now I've got vacuum gauges on the way to synch the carbs (mechanic hourly rate would put me 90% of the way to buying my own so why not) and i'm sure this will fix it PROBABLY. But I also want to know if anyone has a 600 with V&H exhaust and pod filters that has put different jets in. The guy I bought it from thought he was a mechanic, and although what little he did was okay he didn't understand the effect he was having on fuel/air mixture and gasses flow. I'm going to be overhauling the carbs soon and thinking of ordering jets but not sure where to start. I went to school for aviation mechanics not motorcycles and although i know what needs done, jets are a pain in the ***!

MY FIRST POST BY THE WAY!
    My suggestion...

Go with a stage 1 setup. That would put your bike with the exhaust, 1 size up on the OEM jetsize (or equiv if dynojet kit installed) and use the factory airbox and airfilter.

The airbox and filter is the key here to be honest.

Stage 3 (pods, full exhaust, and much larger jets) is really hard to tune on a Kat. Generally your gonna need some a/f readouts from a dyno or similar setup.

That still won't prevent flat spots at certain speeds and wind condtions due to the air flow on the pods reacting differently than an airbox would.

krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Never going to be just right with the pods. Stock airbox will probably fix alot.
      When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Don't have stock air box, I can get it if I really need to but i just bought the pods. So should I send them back and find an air box?
        Last edited by Nevarric; 07-15-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

What is your opinion on using a Dynojet Stage 3 kit?

Comment

Stage 3 works but still a b***h to tune right.
            When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

The kat engine was not designed to work with high air flow. It works better with a more restricted intake.

There are a handful of people who have made pods work, but they all say that the performance gain compared to the amount of labor it took is not worth it (minimal performance gain and a pain the arse to tune).

Stock air box is absolutely the way to go, and go with a Factory pro jet kit. The consensus is that all other jet kits are crap.

good luck.
              Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
              '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Working...
              X