GSX Meaning of model characters.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSX Meaning of model characters.

Hi there,

I have a short circuit in my wireing, when i turn on my head light the bike lose all power. my blinkers work while the ignition switch is on off position.

In the service manual i look at the electrical wiring diagrams and theres my problem, i dont know wich to use.

i have a GSX600F of 1999

The diagrams show this:
    GSX600/750F-W & F-X Europe
    GSX600/750F-W & F-X US and Canada
    GSX600/750F-Y & F-K1 Europe
    GSX600/750F-Y & F-K1 US and Canada
    GSX600/750F-K2 Europe
    GSX750 Europe

Can anyone tell me what diagram i should use?
    i figured i need europe and not the last 750 one

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Godwyn View Post
    Hi there,

I have a short circuit in my wireing, when i turn on my head light the bike lose all power. my blinkers work while the ignition switch is on off position.

In the service manual i look at the electrical wiring diagrams and theres my problem, i dont know wich to use.

i have a GSX600F of 1999

The diagrams show this:
    GSX600/750F-W & F-X Europe
    GSX600/750F-W & F-X US and Canada
    GSX600/750F-Y & F-K1 Europe
    GSX600/750F-Y & F-K1 US and Canada
    GSX600/750F-K2 Europe
    GSX750 Europe

Can anyone tell me what diagram i should use?
    i figured i need europe and not the last 750 one

Thanks in advance

The pre kats (88-97) have single letter designations. (In the US.. J was the 88 model, and are listed J, K, L, M, N, P, R, S, or T designations)

So the 88 600 would have been a GSX600F-J.

In 97-98 the redesigned the Kat model, and started the "K" designations with an additional number to designate versions.

K1, K2, and K3.

K1 is the first "post kat" model. K3 started for the "2003" models with the wider front end.

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 07-14-2011, 07:24 AM.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for that explenation.

Meanwhile....
      my battery power went down so i conneted my charger. and guess what hapened, i saw (and smeled) smoke comming from between my fuel tank and my right fender. so i dismounted the fender and i found where the problem is located. theres a bundle of wires comming from under the fuel tank and it has been cut down on the botom edge of my fuel tank. the wire bundle looks bad tbh but i will weld everything again asap. Unfortunaly its raining the past few days non stop and i have no garage where i can work in so i have to wait till the rain stops.

Anyway im happy i fond the problem and i may need those diagrams next
      lets hope nothing else was destroyd by this chort circuit.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The pre kats (88-97) have single letter designations. (In the US.. J was the 88 model, and are listed J, K, L, M, N, P, R, S, or T designations)

In 97-98 the redesigned the Kat model, and started the "K" designations with an additional number to designate versions.

K1, K2, and K3.

K1 is the first "post kat" model. K3 started for the "2003" models with the wider front end.

Krey
      That means in my case the 1999 would be a K2 then right?
      Last edited by Godwyn; 07-14-2011, 08:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Godwyn View Post
        Thanks for that explenation.

Meanwhile....
        my battery power went down so i conneted my charger. and guess what hapened, i saw (and smeled) smoke comming from between my fuel tank and my right fender. so i dismounted the fender and i found where the problem is located. theres a bundle of wires comming from under the fuel tank and it has been cut down on the botom edge of my fuel tank. the wire bundle looks bad tbh but i will weld everything again asap. Unfortunaly its raining the past few days non stop and i have no garage where i can work in so i have to wait till the rain stops.

Anyway im happy i fond the problem and i may need those diagrams next
        lets hope nothing else was destroyd by this chort circuit.

That means in my case the 1999 would be a K2 then right?

I don't know specifically when the K2 years were... a simple check on your vin plate would tell you though.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

K1, K2, and K3.

Krey
          That's wrong.

It's a really simple system of model years (because not all countries sell the model year in the calender year it is intended). Cars use the same model year system in their VIN number, (but of course, after 2000 they go to just 1, 2, 3, etc. so the VIN doesn't get longer)

A= 1980
          B= 1981
          .... (skipping as I assume you know the alphabet) .....
          X= 1999
          Y= 2000
          K1= 2001
          K2= 2002
          K3= 2003
          etc.

Don't believe it? Look up part numbers. The front wheel (that changed in 03) is the same for models W-K2, but changes in K3.

And for future reference, some people commonly refer to their bikes this way. IE "I have a K5 GSXR1000....." or something like that.

It's also helpful for parts hunting. Let's say you were looking for the best year of short-stroke oil cooled 750, you would be looking for a GSXR750 K model. No matter if it is titled as a 1989 or a 1990, it is a K model.
          Last edited by loudnlow7484; 07-14-2011, 10:03 AM.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
            That's wrong.

It's a really simple system of model years (because not all countries sell the model year in the calender year it is intended). Cars use the same model year system in their VIN number, (but of course, after 2000 they go to just 1, 2, 3, etc. so the VIN doesn't get longer)

A= 1980
            B= 1981
            .... (skipping as I assume you know the alphabet) .....
            X= 1999
            Y= 2000
            K1= 2001
            K2= 2002
            K3= 2003
            etc.

Don't believe it? Look up part numbers. The front wheel (that changed in 03) is the same for models W-K2, but changes in K3.

And for future reference, some people commonly refer to their bikes this way. IE "I have a K5 GSXR1000....." or something like that.

It's also helpful for parts hunting. Let's say you were looking for the best year of short-stroke oil cooled 750, you would be looking for a GSXR750 K model. No matter if it is titled as a 1989 or a 1990, it is a K model.
            As many times as I've read and refered to his link...

one would have thought I would have given a more correct answer.

Not enough coffee me thinks this moring when I answered that.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
            X