Possibility of Overheating During Summer Riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibility of Overheating During Summer Riding

Hey all,

I recently discovered the parking garage at work doesn't charge for motorcycles so I've been taking the Kat to work a few times a week. I am currently living in Cambridge, MA so the traffic is less than ideal. We have had a few 90+ days when I've been in stopped or slow moving traffic. It isn't a very long commute, 6 miles or so, but I was wondering if I'm doing my bike any harm. The air cooled set-up doesn't seem sufficient and I was wondering at what point I should pull over and let it cool down.

Thanks as always

For short times intervals the engine will cool better when running than turned off. Its an oil cooled engine, its constantly circulating oil around the engine and as the oil gets pumped into the oil cooler it is cooling down regardless of whether the bike is sitting still. Dont worry about. These engines were built for this type of stuff.
    New Carbs and new tires makes it hard to take it easy on the throttle....

Comment

I have an oil temp gauge on mine, and used to spend an hour in traffic, and, it would get hot on 90F+ days. Basically when the idle starts to climb, it's time to kill the engine.

Oh, and might want to check your local laws. I know in Virginia, an oil cooled motorcycle is allowed to take to the shoulder when traffic is stopped.
      Last edited by thetable; 07-06-2011, 07:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
        I have an oil temp gauge on mine, and used to spend an hour in traffic, and, it would get hot on 90F+ days. Basically when the idle starts to climb, it's time to kill the engine.

Oh, and might want to check your local laws. I know in Virginia, an oil cooled motorcycle is allowed to take to the shoulder when traffic is stopped.
        Wish that would be allowed in Wisconsin! Id take the kat everywhere!
        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
        Current Bikes:
        1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Take to the shoulder and sit, I believe.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

would have loved to have known this two fridays ago.
            for me to ride 24.6 miles it took over 2.5 hours and twice i had to sit to let her cool down.

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
              Take to the shoulder and sit, I believe.
              I'll have to dig for the code...
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

My '14 has a radiator, but older '14s and 'busas must pull off and sit if we're stagnant for more than about 5 minutes. The newer '14s and 'busas don't have as much of a problem, because they've dual fans and larger radiators (because people were complaining about overheating) but my year model only had a single fan, and that's an issue. However, I ride in the country almost to exclusivity, so it hasn't presented itself as an issue.
                =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

My '14 has a radiator, but older '14s and 'busas must pull off and sit if we're stagnant for more than about 5 minutes. The newer '14s and 'busas don't have as much of a problem, because they've dual fans and larger radiators (because people were complaining about overheating) but my year model only had a single fan, and that's an issue. However, I ride in the country almost to exclusivity, so it hasn't presented itself as an issue.
                  My Connie tries to cook my shins (shinders) if I so much as get stuck behind another vehicle, much less traffic. The bike itself is doing just fine.

...still digging through 46.2-8, but not finding it, perhaps I remembered incorrectly, or perhaps the code was changed. Either way, don't do it just yet.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet

Comment

I know if i'm going under 15 mph and stopping and sitting and going again my rpm's lower and if they go under 800 it knocks... I either have to keep rev'n the engine or pull over to stop... gets annoying and the seat gets a little warm (uber more then little).
                    1991 Katana 750 (Red) (sold)
                    2007 GSXR 600

Comment

"exclusivity"...now there's a cool term. My 03 zzr1200 has dual fans, but I still watch it in those situations. Of course I live in an oven in the summer when I'm in Tejas and can't enact a GFOT.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                        GFOT.
                        ??? Not in my acronym lexicon.
                        Get the F Out of Texas?
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet

Comment

??? Not in my acronym lexicon.
                          Get the F Out of Texas?
                          You nailed it, Joseph.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Yep, my bike has a single fan and it gets pretty freakin hot in traffic as well.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yeah, my SV1K gets pretty hot too when I'm sitting behind a car with no breeze and no movement. It's water cooled and even I've been known to shut her down on days where it's really hot. Lane splitting isn't legal here in MO unfortunately.
                              Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Working...
                              X