Thinking about a new bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a new bike

Hey all

I've been thinking about moving on from my 1993 750 Katana lately.

It just so happens that my uncle has decided to sell his 2002 Ducati Monster, 750, and he's going to give me a great price on it. The thing is, given my limited experience, I don't know what to expect from a naked bike like a Monster.

My Kat's no gixxer, but I'm not interested in trading it for a slower bike. I would however love to have something more nimble, and I could definitely go for a bike that's in better condition.

Any advice? Anyone know what I can expect from riding on a monster?

Cool...

The Monster is an upright and comfortable bike and is typically much more nimble than our Kat's, at least in my opinion.

My fiance has a Monster 696 so I have been on it a bit. I would jump on that if I were you and the price was reasonable.

Comment

Guess its a matter of taste, it will be spunky around town but runs out of lungs at higher revs.

You couldn't pay me to own one, hideous and underpowered.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Ducati's are amazing bikes, but unless you can afford maintenance every six months I would be weary. The bikes my friends have had, spend more time in the shop then on the street. I still love ducati's but I would recommend keeping your Kat with it, just so you would have something to ride while the ducati is serviced. I have an 06 Katana 750, with many many performance and cosmetic mods, and I would trade it for the Ducati because I love there bikes, but I would do so knowingly prepared for what all it involves. I really would trade outright if the mileage was close to similar. Just my .02 cents! What is he asking for it?
        Last edited by Drinknthink; 06-22-2011, 03:36 PM.
        "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
        "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

Are Ducatis more difficult to maintain at home than kats?

Comment

Originally posted by mykat View Post
            Are Ducatis more difficult to maintain at home than kats?
            Um...yes. A tricycle is more difficult to maintain at home than a katana. Have you ever seen a desmodromic valvetrain?
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              Have you ever seen a desmodromic valvetrain?
              Only after eating these funky brownies...

Here is girlfriends bike just home from the shop today after her accident- as well as the "before" shot when it was just matte white and bone stock.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dianhsuhe; 06-23-2011, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dianhsuhe View Post

Here is girlfriends bike just home from the shop today after her accident- as well as the "before" shot when it was just matte white and bone stock.
                What bike? Oh wait, there it is!
                1988 Honda Hurricane CBR1000F (SOLD)
                2002 Suzuki Katana GSX600F

Comment

I picked up a 550 dollar 2001 m750 and its a gloyfied SV . The two valve air cooled motor has ben around for 50 years and are solid units but the 4 valve water cooled motors put out way -way more HP. good bike and i have the SS model with the big super bike gas tank the monter tank is so girlie looking . stators burn up so full syn oil is almost a must .THEY GET BOAT LOADS OF LOOKS
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by H-2 CHARLIE; 06-24-2011, 01:51 AM.

Comment

the ducati monster is not as powerful as it might sound. you shouldnt have any problems riding it. but I wouldnt own a ducati.
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

The old air cooled motors are supposed to be very reliable. I think a few of them tended to pull their cylinder studs, but once fixed they were fine.

I think they are cool bikes, but not commuting equipment by any means.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                        the ducati monster is not as powerful as it might sound. you shouldnt have any problems riding it. but I wouldnt own a ducati.
                        That's exactly what I'm worried about. If it can't keep up with my old Kat, I'm not sure I want it.

On the other hand, my Kat is in Houston, I'm in New York for another 7 weeks as part of an internship. I'm considering taking it off his hands, because he only wants 2k for it (it's practically mint, regularly serviced) and selling it when I go back home.

I imagine it won't be hard to sell it for around 2.5k

Comment

Originally posted by mykat View Post

Any advice? Anyone know what I can expect from riding on a monster?
                          The monster is a niche bike. It's sporty, handles decent and is quick down low in the revs, but your Kat is actually a faster bike with more sport potential for less money. Dude, try an SV650 or a TL1000 if you want a twin with guts. Both are fantastic bikes and, can be had for little dough. If you are a bit of a hooligan, the TL1000R is a fricken wheelie machine.

Comment

Originally posted by dianhsuhe View Post

Nice
                            "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
                            "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'm going to pass up on this offer.
                              Last edited by mykat; 06-28-2011, 04:55 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                              X