• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Problem, Bikes Dead! Help!

My Bike:
    99 Suzuki Katana
    20000KM

I`ve owned this bike since Feb 2010 and put 8k on it. Been a flawless bike and a blast to ride. This morning I took her out, put the key in and turned it to ON. Lights and gauge cluster turned on, everything worked fine but when I went to start it I heard a click and the whole electrical system went DEAD.

I`ve checked all the fuses including the main fuse behind the plastics.
    I tried bump starting it right after it went dead, motor turns until I pulled in the clutch then dies.
    Battery is showing the top end of 12v, even tired charging it some more.
    Checked for ground issues, everything looks perfect.

After plugging in the battery the bike electrical system started to work again. Naturally I tired to start it, same problem complete electrical system failure. After removing all the plastics I tried again, the gauges lit up and I bump started it and it kept running. I tired pushing the starter switch and it killed the electrical system and the engine died.

I`m thinking theres some major problems with the main relay near the fuses as it controls everything...

Any ideas, Thanks!
    Last edited by djm0; 06-05-2011, 09:26 PM.

Simple things first, clean the battery cables at the battery and also the one ground wire to the frame. DOesn't sound major to me, simple bad connection.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

bad connection at the main fuse, battery connection on the selenoid or battery terminals... clean it up really well

also disassemble and lube the start button switch, I belive it cuts power to all the lighting when pressed and should restore lights when let off. the contacts may be dirty but it sounds more like a contact issue.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

:S

All the connections are clean, the bike was fully serviced last year head to toe. All connections look like new.
        All grounds look good.
        Power looks good at the main, fuses and connections looks clean.

Theres still no power unless I put on the parking lights which turn on the tail light and the little light above the head light.

More information:
        The starter on my bike doesn't kill any power, the lights simply dim a bit when the starter is moving due to the amount of current being drawn.

I hooked up a multi-meter to the battery and turned the key to on, the voltage dropped to near 0 and stayed there until I turned it off. Similar happens when I turn on the parking lights but the voltage jumps back up to 12.8v

Sounds like a bad ground right? but there doesn't appear to be one... everything else is dead still... gauges, lights, horn, signals.

Comment

Time to trace power to see where it's being lost at.

Pull the tank off. The harness for the ignition connects right there (green plug). Check power going in (should be hot all times) and power out (should only be hot when key on). If your dropping power there, then you know it's the switch. Continue to trace points like that down the harness until you find where it's dropping. Probably narrow down where the issue is (break/worn spot on the harness or something).

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Could just be the battery. I went thru the same thing last year and replaced the battery and was fine.

Comment

I would investigate the battery first. If it's more than 3 years old replace it with a freshly charged unit. Even with proper winter storage the mean life expectancy of a MC battery is only 3-5 years.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Zero huh? That almost sounds like a short to groundin the harness somewhere.
                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Battery

I'm not so sure about the battery being the cause, seems odd its only a year old and it was plugged in all winter with a maintainer supplied by my bike shop. I could try a very quick jump off my car battery I suppose...

Comment

Bam!

I connected my bike straight up to my car's battery (Car off naturally) and everything worked... starter and all! Well I'm happy but I did take apart my entire bike over a battery . I called around for a new battery and i'm looking at $70 - $110 just for a decent battery! any ideas where I can grab one cheaper in Canada?

Thanks,

Comment

That's about the going rate for a sealed battery which I think is what the 98+ uses.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Just had this happen to me with a 2001 with 19,000 miles. 12.7 volts key off, 0 volts key on. Bad Battery. Hope this helps someone again. Thanks OP!

Comment

Very highly recommend a Shorai lithium battery from GSXFJim. She starts on the first crank every time now. I know others here recommend him too.
                          http://www.envyplayer.com/13.mp4 for sale with lots of parts

Comment

Working...
                          X