X

First post & should I buy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post & should I buy?

Hey everyone this is my first post on this furum. I've been ridding streetbikes for about 7 years now and had 5 bikes (I like to switch bikes every couple years). My bikes ranged from a ninja 250 to a zx12r (all kawasaki's). Anyway....I have medical problems and last year I sold the zx12r because I was getting worse and thought I would never ride again....But now I'm feeling a little better and on the hunt for another bike again (miss riding too much).

That brings me too a Kat 600 thats for sale near me. It's a 2002 yellow Kat with 3,000 mi on it. It is in mint condition and all stock. The guy wanted $3,400 for it but said he would take $3,000 for it. Is this a good price or should I try to knock a little more off that price?

I have saw Katanas on the road before but never really looked into them before. Let me tell you the more I read about them....the more I want one. They sound like the perfect choice for me from the simple design to the comfortable riding position. I'm looking forward to posting more on this forum soon.

It's really hard to say. I bought a 05 with 9000 miles on it for $2500.00 about a month ago. People on here will say I got a fair deal on it, maybe even a good deal. Others will say I did not. I had been hunting around and I could have gotten an 06 with 6000 for $3000.

My opinion is, this time of year it's probably a decentish deal. This fall or last fall, probably not the best deal.

I would say look it over really well. How old is the battery? What shape are the chains and cogs in? Tires? Etc....

If it's truly good to go and won't need anything this year or next, then maybe go for it. If it needs stuff, I'd think about it.

It's a sellers market right now.

Comment

Originally posted by freqflyer View Post
      It's really hard to say. I bought a 05 with 9000 miles on it for $2500.00 about a month ago. People on here will say I got a fair deal on it, maybe even a good deal. Others will say I did not. I had been hunting around and I could have gotten an 06 with 6000 for $3000.

My opinion is, this time of year it's probably a decentish deal. This fall or last fall, probably not the best deal.

I would say look it over really well. How old is the battery? What shape are the chains and cogs in? Tires? Etc....

If it's truly good to go and won't need anything this year or next, then maybe go for it. If it needs stuff, I'd think about it.

It's a sellers market right now.
      Ditto !!!! It's the begining of the season so if it is nice 3000 is probably the best price. As long as it's in good shape!!! Good Luck!!!

Comment

I see that you are from NJ so I am assuming you are talking about the yellow 2002 that is advertised in the classified sections on e-bay from Clementon, NJ. It looks to be in great condition so 3000.00 at this time of year with mileage that low is decent. I have found out that bikes in the greater NY metro area tend to go for a few hundred dollars more than bikes that may come from more rural areas. FWIW I bought my 2006 Katana last august with 2200 miles for 3200.00. Best time to buy a bike is mid oct as there are alot of bikes for sale and prices generally do come down. I saw several bikes last fall 2002-2003(under 5K miles) that went for 2400-2500 in this area. Good luck if you get it.

Comment

Originally posted by liaf View Post
          I see that you are from NJ so I am assuming you are talking about the yellow 2002 that is advertised in the classified sections on e-bay from Clementon, NJ. It looks to be in great condition so 3000.00 at this time of year with mileage that low is decent. I have found out that bikes in the greater NY metro area tend to go for a few hundred dollars more than bikes that may come from more rural areas. FWIW I bought my 2006 Katana last august with 2200 miles for 3200.00. Best time to buy a bike is mid oct as there are alot of bikes for sale and prices generally do come down. I saw several bikes last fall 2002-2003(under 5K miles) that went for 2400-2500 in this area. Good luck if you get it.
          Yup, that's the bike. I know this time of year isn't a buyers time but I still don't want to rip myself off. It seems like a lot of you guys got some nice deals on your bikes. I'm going to try to get him to knock a couple hundred off that $3,000 when I go to look at it today. So hopefully the deal goes through because I'm looking forward to getting on the road again. Thanks for all your feedback.

Comment

With that mileage they are likely to be the original tyres. Check the date on them if in doubt. If they are original they would be hard and dangerous - so another way to haggle a few dollars off and then get some decent rubber on it. Nice price compared with here though - that bike (if we had the 600) would probably ask about $5000 in Oz, possibly more. My 05 750 with 4000km was a screaming bargain at $6000.

Comment

Yeah I agree with the tire comment. I just picked up my 06 with 7900 miles and original tires. The guy wanted 3300 and I got it for 2800 because it needed tires.

Comment

Yeah I didn't even think about the age of the tires (they most likely are the originals with that low of mileage). He said he just installed a new battery and only put 1000 mi on it in the last 5 years. I'm going to be seeing it in 3 hours so I hope everything works out. Thanks again for the pointers.

Comment

Hey guys I went to see the bike and the carbs were definately a little gummed up. From idle any amount of gas would stall it out. The choke would only catch at all the way on and bring the idle to 5000 rpm (would rev with choke fully engaged). There was no throttle responce at all without choke. It's ashame though because it was a really nice bike. People have to start learning to add stabylizers to their gas if they're not going to be riding. I would have bought it if I could have got a little better price on it but I would prefer a bike that I don't have to put any work into right off the bat.

Comment

No room for negotiating? All she probably needs is some fresh tires, drain and refill the gas tank with fresh gas and some Seafoam or Techron for the next 3-4 tanks, and you'd be aces.
                    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

That will be a great bike if you get it .. cant be much troble there on the carbs .. offer him 2900-3000 for it ..

Comment

What you think it sounds like the carbs will clear on their own? I just didn't want to take a chance of messing up the carbs since I never worked with them before. Does it sound like it will clear out with some fresh gas and seafoam only. I just don't want to ripped off because if that doesn't work I'll have to bring it to the stealership and get robbed.

Comment

Working...
                        X