Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

will this compressor work for painting..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will this compressor work for painting..

hey guys. looking at painting my bike again and dont want to go the spray paint route again (faded within 6 months) and was looking at air compressors. i live in an apartment complex so a big compressor is out of the question but i came across this pancake at harbor freight

will i be able to paint my bike with this? im sure with such a small tank i will have to wait for it to refill quite often, but will it do the job? thanks
    Originally posted by Slofuze:
    Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

in short...NO. 1.0cfm is not nearly the requirements of a HVLP gun. 5.0 is like bare minimum and a 3 gallon tank will have the compressor running every 5 seconds of spraying. I use a 4hp 10gallon compressor which is adequate but not ideal.
    "Are they built for comfort of built for speed?"

Comment

You want more CFM so that you don't get under pressured when you spray.

Color-rite will mix paint into rattle cans as an alternative... as well as most local paint shops.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Definitely too small (technically it is the compressor I am referring to). To really know this answer you need to find the gun you want to use, then see what CFM rating it requires. OR find one with a huge storage tank and low CFM so that you can use the stored air. But most likely even with this arrangement you will run out of the stored air at a bad time and have to wait for it to build back up. Also if you are doing this look into dehumidifiers to extract the water out. When I was looking to do this years ago, I had discovered inline "snakes" that are disposable but the cheapest option for eliminating water/oil..
        -2000 "750"

Comment

harbor frieght sells cheap water/oil separators and dessicant dryers that are inline. I use these with no problems
          "Are they built for comfort of built for speed?"

Comment

thanks for the info guys. might just go with another rattle can job until i get into a house
            Originally posted by Slofuze:
            Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

Look into renting one from home depot and using a friends house for the day. The home depot near me rents spray guns and compressors but i really would only trust their compressors
              Find a bike with a stock motor that has miles than mine and ill personally send you a certificate declaring your awesomness

Comment

I was using a 35 gallon compressor when I was painting and that was the smallest I would want to use. Like jcobb said rent the compressor from home depot and buy a gun at harbor freight for like 30 bucks.

Comment

Good question and good answers...I never thought to rent the compressor but will consider that option now.
                  Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                  MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                  sigpic

Comment

Also, it just dawned on me that you might find a stack compressor with enough CFM to drive a paint gun.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                    X