X

OMG...Darn spark plugs...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG...Darn spark plugs...

So my roommate bought a katana (trying to be like me)...everything was going good until last night, we decide to go out and ride the bikes, we made it to the light on the main rd just outside the neighborhood...well that's when all hell broke loose...the light turns green and sure enough as he is pulling into the intersection the bike cuts out and won't start... sitting in the middle of the northbound 2 lane highway...after he pushes it to the other side to the gas station, we check the fuel, battery tender, choke, but get nothing. It just won't turn over, I ride my bike back to the house and drive the car to jump it, but still nothing.
    Today we decided to do some research and try to resolve this mystery, thanks to some people right here on katriders, we got some great tips...so first thing we check was the oil cuz last night oil must have been leaking b/c there was a river of it leading away from the bike, so I ride down to cycle gear pick up oil filter and three quarts, changed the filter and oil, fix the leak...it started...yaaay, but wait it ran for 3 mins and cut off...uuuuhhh now what, the battery is dead...find out the battery was bad, only one cell was working...new battery in place, starts up...yeess and noooo, cuts off again...ok now all tips are pointing towards the spark plugs, we go buy spark plugs, and a fuel filter (why not...got go down under the tank anyway might well replace the fuel filter)...so we go buy these tools and get to work and of course one out of four won't come out...we get the deep creep, spraying, waiting, try again, spray some more, wait some more, try again nothing, finally there's a little movement..then snap....WTF??? We look down and see the spark plug snap In two with the thread still screwed into the engine....uuuuhhh now what do we do...can't get leverage to unscrew and it just seems like it is just stuck...3 hours go by and we still could not get that darn half of spark plug....
    Now if you haven't falling asleep after reading this essay, please help any suggestions are welcomed...
    Respect the Kat!

Originally posted by Mz. Stunna View Post
    So my roommate bought a katana (trying to be like me)...everything was going good until last night, we decide to go out and ride the bikes, we made it to the light on the main rd just outside the neighborhood...well that's when all hell broke loose...the light turns green and sure enough as he is pulling into the intersection the bike cuts out and won't start... sitting in the middle of the northbound 2 lane highway...after he pushes it to the other side to the gas station, we check the fuel, battery tender, choke, but get nothing. It just won't turn over, I ride my bike back to the house and drive the car to jump it, but still nothing.
    Today we decided to do some research and try to resolve this mystery, thanks to some people right here on katriders, we got some great tips...so first thing we check was the oil cuz last night oil must have been leaking b/c there was a river of it leading away from the bike, so I ride down to cycle gear pick up oil filter and three quarts, changed the filter and oil, fix the leak...it started...yaaay, but wait it ran for 3 mins and cut off...uuuuhhh now what, the battery is dead...find out the battery was bad, only one cell was working...new battery in place, starts up...yeess and noooo, cuts off again...ok now all tips are pointing towards the spark plugs, we go buy spark plugs, and a fuel filter (why not...got go down under the tank anyway might well replace the fuel filter)...so we go buy these tools and get to work and of course one out of four won't come out...we get the deep creep, spraying, waiting, try again, spray some more, wait some more, try again nothing, finally there's a little movement..then snap....WTF??? We look down and see the spark plug snap In two with the thread still screwed into the engine....uuuuhhh now what do we do...can't get leverage to unscrew and it just seems like it is just stuck...3 hours go by and we still could not get that darn half of spark plug....
    Now if you haven't falling asleep after reading this essay, please help any suggestions are welcomed...
    um... bad news.

Your probably gonna need to do some disassembly on that top end to get that fixed. If the plug was actually that difficult to get out that it snapped the threaded portion off in the engine, you are probably looking at more than just getting it out, but possibly some repair to the plug port threads.

You MIGHT be able to get it out if the top breaking off released the pressure holding the plug in by using a long drill bit to drill out the center some, and then use an extractor to remove the screw. The problem is without removing the head, you got a heck of a deep hole to work in very close quarters, and the rest of the bike/frame around that making it even more difficult.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ouch, impressive.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Happened to me before...go to autozone n buy an extractor bit , thats wat they r made for...jus go slow make sure u blow out any bits of metal left behind
        Last edited by ChrisNY716; 05-02-2011, 11:24 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Yea, he tried that late last night and the extractor is now screw into the threading of the spark plug and cant get that out either....uuuuhhh now what do we do?
          Respect the Kat!

Comment

Originally posted by Mz. Stunna View Post
            Yea, he tried that late last night and the extractor is now screw into the threading of the spark plug and cant get that out either....uuuuhhh now what do we do?

Remove the head and take it to a shop (if you cant' get it out after taking the head out...)

krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

cry
              2006 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by BabyBoosa View Post
                cry
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Remove the head and take it to a shop (if you cant' get it out after taking the head out...)

krey
                  +1

Or...I've got a spare head in my garage, let me know if you guys need it.
                  03 600rr - SOLD
                  06 RVT RC51 - Totaled by a deer
                  99 Katana 600 - Daily Driver
                  03 SV650s - Newest addiction

Comment

start shopping

Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

what year? what size motor?
                    '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

He has a 2001 GSX 600F Katana
                      Respect the Kat!

Comment

Working...
                      X