X

How is the Katana as a first bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WildKat
    , and also your credit history too. Some insurance companies will check ur credit score.
    are you sure that still stands? there was something on the news a while back about some changes to that policy. if i remember right, it was deemed illegal to refuse anyone insurance, or to raise the price of insurance because of your credit history. at best, they can only make you pay your premium up front instead of allowing you to make monthly payments.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Actually yeah as a matter of fact I was calling insurance companies today on my break at work, getting quotes for car insurance and adding my bike. Geico, Progressive, and State Farm mentioned that they do as a standard for running a quote, check your credit history..

Now how much of that goes into ur actual rate/premium I have no idea but they are checking it so it definately makes you wonder..

Comment

I learned on an old Honda cb350 then upgraded to a GPz550. After that bike died I picked up a cheap GS400. After a ten-year hiatus, my wife got me a 750 Kat.

Moral of the storey, I'm glad I had experience on the other smaller bikes as the Kat is a handful at lower speeds if you don't have much experience.

Start with a smaller displacement twin GS500f would be a good choice.

Also once you learn the type of riding you enjoy, i.e. twisties, touring, stunting, etc. then you'll know if you want a Kat.
        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I like the Kat as my first bike, i havnt riden it a lot do to winter set in...but i like the feel and the power when you need it for just starting off it is good. I pay around $90 a month for THE BARE minimum for insurance under my rents tho. and with out a 10% discount on a saftey course.
          Life's fast so you have to be faster, ride fast and take risks...

Comment

Ultimately, only you will know if the katana is right for you as a first bike. I tend to agree that it is larger and heavier than other beginner bikes and if I had it to do all over again, I would probably go with a used Ninja 500 or GS550. I just had the cash burning a hole in my pocket.

I took the MSF in October 2004 and bought my Katana 600 (paid cash) the weekend after Thanksgiving. I knew that I didn't want anything larger than 600cc to learn on. I had been looking at the Ninja 500 and the GS550F (with fairings) but was unable to get into a one at a decent price. My Kat is a 2001 and had under 3100 miles when I bought it. It had been laid down (lightly) and had a scratch on the left fairing. At first I was intimidated, but not afraid, of the larger bike and started with low speed maneuvers in parking lots and progressed through neighborhood rides and onto the freeway. It took some time for me to trust it in the curves because of the high center of gravity (and old tires, but that's beside the point). Since it had a scratch on it already, it didn't hurt as bad when I laid it down after riding it for 2 months.

The Katana gets me to work and back. I probably don't have alot of finesse since I ride primarily main roads and highways and not twisties. The Katana does what I need it to do and it looks good doing it.
            2001 Suzuki Katana 600 ... Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by DukeJH
              Ultimately, only you will know if the katana is right for you as a first bike. I tend to agree that it is larger and heavier than other beginner bikes and if I had it to do all over again, I would probably go with a used Ninja 500 or GS550. I just had the cash burning a hole in my pocket.
              I feel the same way. My Kat was one of my biggest impulse buys.

Comment

Originally posted by Black
                I started on a 93 Kat 600. I am extremely happy with it, aside from the DAMN CARBS!!!!! But I've learned so much this summer alone about bikes and riding, I don't think I could have on a newer R6 or CBR or something.

Overall, the Pre98 is a great bike to start out on if you have a little bit of self control. If you are honest with yourself and don't have too much restraint, go with a smaller bike without plastics.

-sam
                Cool man, judging by what happens tommorow thats exactly what i'm going to be starting on!

I'm not a "NEW" rider, i've ridden dirtbikes. But i'm new to the street.

Comment

I started out riding a Suzuki GS450. I rode it and laid it down in the yard twice while learning. It's a great bike to learn on and in the two falls I only bent the brake pedal a little. If I was on the Kat I would've broken all the plastic. After 2 months on the GS I found my 750 Kat. I think it's easier to ride and balance with the wider tires and lower stance.

I would definitely learn on a smaller bike. The GS cost me $400 and my 3 brothers learned to ride on it and my younger brother bought a 600 Kat and my other bought the GS from me.
                  sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                    Actually yeah as a matter of fact I was calling insurance companies today on my break at work, getting quotes for car insurance and adding my bike. Geico, Progressive, and State Farm mentioned that they do as a standard for running a quote, check your credit history..

Now how much of that goes into ur actual rate/premium I have no idea but they are checking it so it definately makes you wonder..
                    i renewed my progressive insurance a few months back, and it took a drastic drop. when i talked to the guy on the phone he said 'yea, your credit score has gone way up so youll see this nice discount'. i dont think they can refuse to insure or anything, but they it seems can lower your rates based on credit. not that im complaining, last i checked my score was in the mid 700s and thats without owning a house
                    03 katanika

Comment

as for the kat being a good first bike... id say no.

the weight will cause problems. i started on a marauder 800, it was heavy but the weight was lower. i could figure8 my marauder all day long with no trouble even with passengers on the back id scrap the pegs in parking lots doing slow uturns. slow speed stuff on the kat just doesnt feel as easy to me. you really have to let the kat lean over, for a beginner the trust isnt there to let the bike lean that far going slow i think.

also stupid mistakes that everyone makes, like forgetting the kickstand and stuff like that becomes worse when all the bikes weight is up high. makes it harder to catch the bike befor it goes over because of a small mistake.

if no thing else price the replacement plastics of a kat and think how much its going to suck if/when you drop it and need to replace those plastics.

get a naked,used,beat up cruiser/standard and learn to ride the wheels off it without fear.
                      03 katanika

Comment

THE KATANA IS A LOUSY FIRST BIKE. IT SHOULDN'T BE RIDDEN ON THE STREETS BY ANYONE WHO HASN'T BEEN RIDING FOR AT LEAST TWO YEARS AND AT LEAST 17 YEARS OLD! IF YOU DO YOUR FINGERS WILL FALL OFF AND YOUR BODY WILL BE COVERED IN SORES AND BOILS. THE GIRLS WON'T GIVE YOU A SECOND LOOK.

(Sorry guys, had to say that because I know BlackFalcon is 'prolly reading this right now and is looking for any ammunition he can find to get me to give him the keys.)

Having said that:
                        I wouldn't look down on anyone that chose a used Kat 600 as a first bike. I personally would suggest a few other bikes (Ninja500, GS500, naked SV650), but if you've practiced for a while and passed MSF and check your ego at the door, you should do ok. Respect your limitations and respect what ever bike you eventually get.
                        sigpic

Comment

My kat was my first bike and I love it. I'm a big guy so the weight wasn't too much of a big deal. U turns did take some practiced. Everyone told me not to buy new but I found a great deal on ebay. This is my first session and it took me 9,000 miles before I laid it down, in a parking lot. (15mph) The damage was only cosmedic but it cost 500 bucks to fix. I think the kat is a great bike ,but it's not be the best starter for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by bigrob
                            My kat was my first bike and I love it. I'm a big guy so the weight wasn't too much of a big deal. U turns did take some practiced. Everyone told me not to buy new but I found a great deal on ebay. This is my first session and it took me 9,000 miles before I laid it down, in a parking lot. (15mph) The damage was only cosmedic but it cost 500 bucks to fix. I think the kat is a great bike ,but it's not be the best starter for everyone.
                            ok im not sure i get it. being a 'big guy' shouldnt make the weight easier to handle. im 5'10 240 right now i can bench my body weight and squat more plates than i have around. But that means no thing when both feet are up on the pegs.

having more weight on the seat just adds to the problem, someone thats 140 pounds sitting in the seat has a 100 pounds less pulling them to the ground when leaned over. the seat is pretty high putting your weight high up, the higher the weight the harder things are to balance. a cruiser that seriously outweighs the kat seems like it weighs less because the center of gravity is drastically lower.
                            03 katanika

Comment

My insurance through Allstate is $218/year for liability only.
                              sigpic2000 Dupli-Color Metal Specks Red GSX750f

Comment

My Ins. is $200 a year liability, with maxxed out medical. I'm 22

MArk

Comment

Working...
                                X