X

head gasket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head gasket

guys i have blown 2 head gaskets in a month. its keeps leaking in the same spot. You think that i could use some rtv to help seal it better

If you keep blowing head gaskets then you have a warped head. get another head or have your original shaved.

Comment

Is it the base gasket under the cylinders or the valve cover gasket? Are you making sure to clean all the old gasket off first? Also make sure the tourqe specs are corret on the bolts and chek the area of the leak for any cracks or anything that could be causing the gasket to fail.
      1999 GSX750F
      -Yoshimura RS3
      -Shinko Raven's
      -More to come

Comment

Copper gasket spray help a little. But if you keep blowing head gaskets, you should probably figure out why. +1 on the warped cylinder head. Any automotive machine shop can mill that for flatness. It'll run you like $40-$75 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by mikecrts View Post
          Is it the base gasket under the cylinders or the valve cover gasket? Are you making sure to clean all the old gasket off first? Also make sure the tourqe specs are corret on the bolts and chek the area of the leak for any cracks or anything that could be causing the gasket to fail.

tis the base gasket. and yea all the old gasket it off

Comment

Wait, the "base" gasket, or the head gasket? They are two very different things. I think that post just confused you. I doubt you'd notice if you blew a base gasket. And that's a pain in the nuts to replace.

Comment

its not the valve cover gasket. its the one at the cylinders. and its not really blown just leaks passed the gasket. i replaced it once and it was fine for like 2k miles now its doing it again. if the head was warped wouldnt it leak all the time

Comment

Where is it leaking?

did you replace the orings?

dont forget if the valve cover gasket leaks around the spark plug holes, it will leak down the sparkplug holes and out the drain hole that comes out just slight above the head gasket. if it leaks it wil run along the head gasket and look just like a head gasket leak.

to check it, remove the spark plug wires, clean the spark plug holes really well with carb cleaner or brake cleaner, also the cylinder head, then run it for a bit and check it for any oil in the spark plug holes or around the drail holes.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Sounds like you may have overtightened the bolts.

Comment

What brand/manufacture are you using for the head gasket?
                    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

You should check the mounting surfaces for true using a known good straight edge across the head.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

thanks for all the help guys, i torqued to spec, and i am using a top end kit from dennis kirk. I will give the valve cover gasket a look. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                        X