X

Clean wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean wheels

So I have my rear wheel off to replace the chain & sprockets so I figured it was a good time to clean the wheel. I got most of the road grime & chain lube off, but some is very stubborn. Anyone have any suggestions for this? I tried a little degreaser & some wheel cleaner but it's still there. I don't want to damage the wheel. Thanks!

WD-40 and a green scrubby.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

WD-40 or kerosene works great.
      becareful using solvents and cleaners like castrol superclean etc they can damage and stain the finish.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks I'll give that a shot.

Comment

Kerosene: main ingredient in WD-40 and an absolutely fantastic cleaning solvent. HD's exactly right to suggest one or the other. Just be aware that if one doesn't work then there's not much point in trying the other.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

rubbing alcohol
            Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
            Current Bikes:
            1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
              rubbing alcohol
              no way just strain that through bread and you can drink that but you can use dawn.

Comment

+1 on kerosene. my polished lips get grimy with excess chain lube. A little swipe with a rag dipped in a little kerosene cleans it off first wipe, no scrubbing.

Comment

you clean your wheels?
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                    you clean your wheels?
                    My thoughts exactly.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by the wind View Post
                      no way just strain that through bread and you can drink that but you can use dawn.
                      I tried straining it through bread. I didnt feel to good after drinking a couple shots of it... does that really work? lol
                      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                      Current Bikes:
                      1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

I clean the rims with wd-40 on a shop rag .The wheels get like the rest of the bike dish soap .Not by research but by pure "This cant hurt ill try it "Found a LARGE bottle of some green dish soap in my garage and i was supprised how well it works .It removes grease and grime really well.I dont like to mess with my tires and thats as close as I get to putting anything on them ...good luck
                        Last edited by Irish; 04-10-2011, 07:09 AM. Reason: cause i can
                        I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Apparently it works well enough it won't kill you right away. (According to one of my alcoholic friends.) It still can't be good for you.

The dish detergent works, though!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by PAIN View Post
                            +1 on kerosene. my polished lips get grimy with excess chain lube. A little swipe with a rag dipped in a little kerosene cleans it off first wipe, no scrubbing.
                            Anyone else think this sounded dirty or is my mind that far in the gutter?

Comment

Your mind is that far in the gutter. Stay away from my sister!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X