X

Rider down... Damage report.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rider down... Damage report.

It finally happened, I finally became part of the other group of motorcyclists: "Those who have been down" after about 6 years of nonconsecutive riding experience being part of "those who have not been down...yet" group.

I keep playing it over and over in my mind, and there really are few other things that I could have done differently. Of course, every accident is avoidable and I do know what some of the things I could have done differently are, but I am curious to see what you have to suggest as well.

Long story short, we were riding three in the group. My wife was leading on her [bright a55 pink] Ninja, I was riding second on my Katana, and I was followed up by a friend on his Ninja. We were having fun riding on a curvy rural road in a farming area near home (Manhattan, Kansas), driving about 50 mph on a road where the [unposted] speed limit is 50 mph. My wife and I were communicating via our Scala Rider G4's and as I approached a blind curve she warned me of a dog on the right. As she swerved left to avoid the dog and owner walking in the right lane, the dog freaked out and jumped at her (missed of course) and then was in the left lane.

So here is the picture: Dog in left lane on long leash which goes to hand of old man, standing in right lane. I made what I believe to be the best choice and decided to try and fit between the old man and the edge of the road. Unfortunately for me, there was sand in the corner between the old man and the edge of the road. My wife later told me that just as my front tire hit sand I said "damnit" and did not say anything else until I stopped tumbling and rolling about 70 feet later. Somehow, my last tumble was a summersault that landed me on my feet. I still have not figured that one out.

Since this is a Katana forum, I will include pictures of the damage tomorrow when I get home. Basically the damage was simple and minor. The fairing on the left side of the bike took a bunch of road-rash (lucky for me I had already bought a new one), the mirror broke, the mirror mount bent severly forward, the blinker shattered and the windscreen broke.

Since I am already not going to be riding the bike for about a week, I have decided to paint the bike, order a corbin saddle, and install mirrors with integrated blinkers.

Damage to me includes: bruised ribs (upper left side), road-rash on both knees, and various bruises on my body. My Scorpion jacket did an awsome job of protecting my upper body and suffered a small tear on the left forearm. I usually wear my Scorpion pants, but for some reason I did not wear them on this day. My Scorpion helmet does not look like it ever even touched the ground, truth be told I don't really know if it did or not.

Having read the above what do you think? Anybody had similiar experiences? What do you think I could (or maybe should) have done differently?
    Last edited by JAKa55; 04-08-2011, 11:22 AM.

Glad to hear you walked away man. I have yet to go down...

Comment

Glad you're alright. I must say, you should be an art teacher. That illustration is awesomesauce.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

About the only thing I could think of to do different would be to have just ran over the damb dog, But personaly I think you did the right thing and it just didn't work out for you,.
        Glad to hear that you where not hurt too bad, Heal quick and ride another day..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Glad to hear that your OK! I am a member of the group that has been down.
          Former Marine 3/97-3/01
          MOS 0161 Semper FI!
          sigpic

Comment

Im not exactly sure of the situation, but maybe as soon as you hear their is danger ahead you should have slowed down as much as possible. Always have to think the worse is coming ahead (and it did for you). Its hard but you have to expect that dog to jump out.

Heal fast and get that bike healed as well.

Comment

Yea only thing I can think is to have slowed down as muchas possible. Otherwise, glad you are alive and safe
              Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

I personally would have hit the dog. Glad to hear you're ok though.

Comment

Glad to see that you are ok (apart from bruises and stuff). Personally, i think that you did the right thing under the circumstances.
                  Yeah, maybe you could have gone a little slower, but your speed was not excessive. Then again, the owner of the dog should have had better contol over the dog.
                  Again, you did good.

Comment

Sounds like you did alright.
                    May be could have slowed more when you got the warning.
                    At least you could walk away from the scene. I am in the been down club

Comment

Glad that you are okay without too much damage to either you or the Kat. What did the dog owner have to say? You failed to mention the second half of the story, after you avoided hitting them, what did the 3rd rider do?
                      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                        Glad you're alright. I must say, you should be an art teacher. That illustration is awesomesauce.

Ditto, the graphic makes me laugh:bunny2.
                        Heal up good.
                        Blackdog
                        DRz-400e plated
                        Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

You did a noble thing. That dog might be the only thing that old man has.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by JAKa55 View Post
                            We were having fun riding on a curvy rural road in a farming area near home (Manhattan, Kansas)
                            Dude, I've been through Kansas, I never saw anything curvier than a stop sign. And a blind corner at that... Was there a windmill or a derrick in the middle?

Unfortunately for me, there was sand in the corner between the old man and the edge of the road. My wife later told me that just as my front tire hit sand
                            Always been my experience that the only saving after the front tucks is due to prayer. I can deal with the back end moving sideways, but the front... try to relax for impact.

Having read the above what do you think? Anybody had similiar experiences? What do you think I could (or maybe should) have done differently?
                            Differently, once you saw the sand was enivitable, you may have been able to straight line it through, but that is about all. All the gear all the time. Other than that, dust it off, count your blessings, and keep on riding.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

im still in the ...yet group , not very eager to change groups yet. glad you didnt harm youself
                              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X