X

Fairing Bolts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing Bolts

I am missing alot of the fairing bolts for my 2000 kat 600..
    I saw that pro-bolt sells kits for like 60 bucks.. has anyone
    bought one before? do they actually contain the right size bolts
    and is it worth the money?

also.. I need the lower/under fairings, does anybody have a spare set?

i don't know about probolts, but I can tell you that sportbikebolts.com is not where you want to go. I would recommend anyone over sportbike bolts.

Comment

You have pro-bolt kits, and bike-bolt kits.

Pro-bolt kits have the wide head bolts similiar to the fairing bolts most of the bikes use.

The bike bolt kits are just regular dome hex head bolts you can pick up anywhere like lowes, or ace and in general are too small on the heads without an additional metal fender washer.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Okay thanks for the info, so you think the pro-bolt kit will probably work?

Comment

Originally posted by StreetFighter View Post
          Okay thanks for the info, so you think the pro-bolt kit will probably work?

One is on my wish list, but I have not personally used one yet. I've heard positive things about them though.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Bought mine from sportbikebolts, and I LOVE them. Look great on the bike, colors are very vivid. The one problem is when the paint is added, it gets into the screw head a bit, and makes them a tad tougher to screw in. I have 25% off coupon if you need it

Make sure you get the full kit though, not the screw kit, that's the only other thing
            Last edited by Fault; 03-29-2011, 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

I would stay away from anything aluminum. I got a kit from pro-bolt and I hate them. They heads strip out easily (even with the hex head) and the heads are too small of a diameter. I've also had a few shake loose while riding....which didn't instill much confidence in me.

I replaced every bolt that secures the fairings and had a TON left over, more than I used on the bike actually...so I feel like I would have much rather gotten less bolts and paid less....I feel kind of cheated.

All of that being said....they look great.

Here is a thread that I started about them after I had installed them and was very unhappy...http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...ight=pro+bolts

This site was recommended to me from another user on here, I haven't bought them yet, but I will be soon, so if you are still curious, I'll follow up when I do.
              http://www.mcmaster.com/#metric-sock...screws/=bnftc6
              Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
              '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

I got a set from www.sportbikebolts.com and I would give them a 7 out of 10. Got alot of extra pcs in kit, every think just seem cheap. but you get what you pay for.

Comment

umm, you guys do realize that you can get the proper oem bolts for like $2.50 each, right? that is what they cost for my 1100 on bikebandit. by my calculation, if a set of aftermarket go for $60, then I could buy 24 oem bolts for the same price....wayyyy more than enough to do my bike.

knowing that most aftermarket sellers sell pretty much the same bolts that I can get at Fastenal for like $25 per 100, I would have to give all sellers no more than a 1 out of 10.....and think that anyone who buys them is being a bit lazy, and wasting their money. same goes for engine and exhaust bolts. I bought some exhaust bolts in bulk a few year ago to use on my bikes, and sold half the box. I made like 3x as much on that half box as what the whole box cost me. they cost me 25 cents each, and I was selling a set of 8 for $12, and people were swallowing them up. I ended up ordering 2 more boxes and almost sold them all. the money was so easy that I almost felt guilty doing it, until I just told myself, "hey...not my fault they don't shop around".

anyway, imho, at $2.50 per bolt for new oem, I really can't understand why anyone would want to pay $60 for an inferior bolt set that doesn't look nearly as nice as oem. idk...just doesn't make sense to me.

as for engine bolts.....I am sitting on boxes of 100 in stainless, for each length of bolt. enough to do at least 20 or 25 engines. I think it cost me around $150. the sets I see on ebay were around $25. the guys selling them are doing the same thing....investing $150, and getting back at least $500 from people who just don't want to be bothered with shopping online with companies like Fastenal. don't be a sucker.....shop around.

Originally posted by BPryz View Post
                  I replaced every bolt that secures the fairings and had a TON left over, more than I used on the bike actually...so I feel like I would have much rather gotten less bolts and paid less....I feel kind of cheated.
                  you had a ton left over because they are so cheap that you likely have to keep replacing them. the seller was smart tossing in "spares" so that people won't complain too much. if they were true stainless bolts, which they should be, you would not have had a ton left over.
                  Last edited by Mojoe; 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                    you had a ton left over because they are so cheap that you likely have to keep replacing them. the seller was smart tossing in "spares" so that people won't complain too much. if they were true stainless bolts, which they should be, you would not have had a ton left over.

Yeah, learned my lesson real quick. Just trying to pass on the knowledge so others don't make the same mistake.

I think the problem is (at least it was in my case) aluminum tends to be a more desired material in so many other applications (such as frames) because of it's lightweight property. For those of us who are unexperienced, that seems like a reason enough to spend the extra money. However, as the majority of us find out rather quickly, fastening bolts are not one of those applications where aluminum trumps steel. I had no idea that there would really be any difference in quality between aluminum and steel.

There is also the cool factor that some people are looking for. The SS bolts tend not to come with many (if any at all) color options. For some, this is more important than the quality.

I'm not really sure why you feel like people who are not experienced or educated are lesser, at least that's the way your post came across. One of the major reasons of forums is for inexperienced people to ask people who are more experienced and educated for their opinion, which I think should be given without passing judgement.

If I have misunderstood your purpose I apologize, but I know as the OP I would feel insulted by your response.
                    Last edited by BPryz; 03-29-2011, 11:27 PM.
                    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                    '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Originally posted by BPryz View Post
                      I'm not really sure why you feel like people who are not experienced or educated are lesser, at least that's the way your post came across. One of the major reasons of forums is for inexperienced people to ask people who are more experienced and educated for their opinion, which I think should be given without passing judgement.

If I have misunderstood your purpose I apologize, but I know as the OP I would feel insulted by your response.
                      actually, it has nothing to do with the OP at all. I am aiming more towards those who are suggesting which aftermarket bolts are best. imho, they are all crap, and I think the OP should just go with new oem bolts from bikebandit and forget the fancy colored bolts at $60 a set.

and for the record, I do have a bit of experience with them. I have ordered all kinds to do comparisons with for the simple fact that that I was going to sell kits myself, but then decided not to because everything I came across was inferior to oem as far as quality is concerned. I have no desire to sell "pretty bolts". I wanted to sell quality bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                        actually, it has nothing to do with the OP at all. I am aiming more towards those who are suggesting which aftermarket bolts are best. imho, they are all crap, and I think the OP should just go with new oem bolts from bikebandit and forget the fancy colored bolts at $60 a set.

and for the record, I do have a bit of experience with them. I have ordered all kinds to do comparisons with for the simple fact that that I was going to sell kits myself, but then decided not to because everything I came across was inferior to oem as far as quality is concerned. I have no desire to sell "pretty bolts". I wanted to sell quality bolts.

I've not priced other bikes, but the pre... significantly WAY more than your estimates to use OEM bolts from bikebandit if your replacing a majority of them.

Jus sayn...

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                          I've not priced other bikes, but the pre... significantly WAY more than your estimates to use OEM bolts from bikebandit if your replacing a majority of them.

Jus sayn...

Krey
                          just how many bolts does a pre have? I just checked and the most expensive one that I could see is $3.11.
                          that's roughly 20 bolts for the price of a kit.

for the record, I am talking about visible bolts. as for the bolts that are hidden......well, don't see much sense in changing those if you don't have to. I kinda see that as a huge waste of money. and this is what makes what I am saying, cheaper. just replace what you need to replace.

but then again, maybe the OP wants the fancy colored bolt look, and I can't argue with that. I just happen to feel that $60+ invested in anodized aluminum bolts is quite pricey for what you get. personally, if I was to go that route, I almost think I would by a small anodizing kit from Caswell and a box of bolts from Fastenal, for not much more than a bolt kit, and do my own so I would never run out of bolts to replace the ones that get stripped out

anyhoo....it was only a suggestion. Bikebandit is very reasonable with the price of their bolts. the same bolt that goes for $2.50 for my 1100 is over $7 at the dealership, and I thought maybe that is why the OP is considering aftermarket kits because he is going by dealer pricing on new oem from the dealership.

Comment

I like it I would leave the fairings off.

Comment

Hey guys, I don't care for the colors or anything... I am just missing a ton of bolts so i didn't know if it would be easier to order a bolt kit or go through and find every single bolt and their size

For the 40 bucks or whatever on sportbikebolts.com I might just do that... i don't know. I'm going to try and figure out what I need tonight

Comment

Working...
                              X