X

Question about my ignition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about my ignition

So when I bought my bike it only came with one key, and at the time I didn't think much of it thinking I could just get another copy made pretty easily. But apparently out here don't understand or just want to make motorcycle keys, which I don't get. But anyway I think I might have found a place that can do it, but thats not my problem. I've been noticing that it has been getting noticeably harder to turn the key in the ignition to the on position, and I have been just assuming it had to do with my old key thats worn out and a little twisted. But I noticed yesterday when I was working on my bike that the ignition it self looked a bit beat up itself.

Could my problem be from a worn out ignition or is just a beat up key? Also if I get a new ignition, can I get a locksmith (or dealer) rekey it to my current key or do I have to change everything and get a new key? Thanks.

Short answer is yes.

...Not very helpful, is it?

Before you get too excited, try spraying some lube in that keyhole. Entirely possible your problem is just gummy tumblers.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Gummie tumblers sounds

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
      Short answer is yes.

...Not very helpful, is it?

Before you get too excited, try spraying some lube in that keyhole. Entirely possible your problem is just gummy tumblers.
      ahh the old gummie tumblers........and a lube my fav

worked on mine
      I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

As for key copies... I bought a couple of blanks on eBay then brought them to HomeDepot...the guy there found an old suzuki auto key copy cassette thing that matched and did it for free since I brought my own blank. He said they didn't have a matching key blank anyway... Just the mounting thing for the machine

Comment

Originally posted by foxox View Post
          As for key copies... I bought a couple of blanks on eBay then brought them to HomeDepot...the guy there found an old suzuki auto key copy cassette thing that matched and did it for free since I brought my own blank. He said they didn't have a matching key blank anyway... Just the mounting thing for the machine
          Yeah I tried that, got 2 keys and took them to Lowes and they screwed them up. Going to try lubing up the cylinder in little bit. thanks guys

Comment

Well I finally found a place that was able to make me a couple new copies of my key. New keys work great in the ignition. Guess my problem was from a 11 year old worn out key. Thanks guys

Comment

WD-40 may be your friend on this issue, least it frees up house key locks...

Comment

umm Push button ignition!
                03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
                04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
                08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
                10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
                05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

Working...
                X