X

Is a kat a consideration?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a kat a consideration?

After reading review after review on the 600 and 750 kats, the website of this forum came up. Usually the knowledge and opinions available on a forum are unmatched anywhere else, so wanted to throw up a post!

My name is Ash, I live in Denver, and am looking for a "new" bike. I'm a pretty obsessive rider, but like most folks these days, money is very tight. I've got around $2000 to spend (that leaves extra for title, tax and insurance) and have been watching craigslist like a hawk. A few katana's have come up, which is what brought me here!

History:
    Been riding since 2003, mostly solo. Some 2 up riding more recently with my girlfriend of three years, but this year she will be riding her own bike (rebuilding a '82 XJ1100J maxim for her that we got for pretty much free) so 2up will be less of a concern. Last bike was a '94 ST1100, before that was '88 Concours 1100, before that a '01 Honda Sabre 1100. I ride a LOT, averaging 20-25,000 miles/year. I work from home, so those are all pleasure miles, no commuting. Mostly in state day rides, maybe 4 long weekend rides a year and 1 long (to the east coast) trip per year. I pack light, but always camp so gotta have a bike that can handle some weight (I like the frame on the Katana).

I would like my next bike to be smaller and lighter, as most of my riding is in the excellent roads of the rocky mountains. The big sport tourers can be quite a bit of work. With my girlfriend getting her own bike, 2 up touring will be unlikely, probably just local 2 up riding.

While I am a Honda fan, I can't imagine sitting on a CBR F3/4 for 500 miles. Ouch.

It seems the 750 is probably a better fit than the 600, given my experience level and previous bikes.

Read up on a mileage thread here.... Are people routinely getting 100k out of these engines? It seemed most folks were posting at a max of 50k...

Any suggestions on what to look for? Value? Definitely stick to the 750 or should a 600 be on my radar as well?

Here is an example: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2185434276.html

Any suggestions and input are greatly appreciated! My ST1100 kicked the bucket in November with over 130k miles on the clock and I'm itching to get back on the road.
    Last edited by Smash; 02-17-2011, 11:22 AM.

I'll offer my opinion and comment on one of your requirements. "I would like my next bike to be smaller and lighter". The kat is a heavy bike compared to full sport bikes. It certainly adds to the bikes stability, but the down side is of course is the power to weight ratio is negatively affected. And if you carry camping gear... well you get the picture. That said, I do enjoy riding my Kat. It's been very reliable for me.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Yes, I understand it's heavier that many other sport bikes, but to me that adds stability on the highway.... Was thinking smaller and lighter in comparison to my previous two bikes - ST1100 and Concours C10....

Comment

Based on what you listed as criteria I think the Kat is a pretty good fit. Compared to the 1100's you have been riding you will probably find the Kat a bit lacking in the area of raw power, even the 750. However, for me personally, I find it to be plenty. In summary I can only put it this way, which was said to me some time a go. "The Katana is a great bike. It is not the best at any one thing but it is pretty good at everything. Making it perfect for me".

Comment

Thanks MM, sounds like a good test ride is in order.

Most Katana's around here on CL are the 600s, the prior mentioned is the only 750 in my price range (heck, one of only two in the area anyway). Hence my question about the 600 vs 750. Also, is that CL 750 a fair deal? Seeing as there really aren't many listed here, I don't have much to compare it to.

Comment

If you are going to do some 2-up riding, then definitely go with the 750. In regard to durability, these engines are tough, need very little in terms of maintenance, and are pretty fuel efficient. My 06 750 has over 56K on her, and still delivers 48 mpg at 80mph on the super slab. As stated earlier, for a good, solid all-round bike, the Kat is hard to beat.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by MadMax View Post
              Based on what you listed as criteria I think the Kat is a pretty good fit. Compared to the 1100's you have been riding you will probably find the Kat a bit lacking in the area of raw power, even the 750. However, for me personally, I find it to be plenty. In summary I can only put it this way, which was said to me some time a go. "The Katana is a great bike. It is not the best at any one thing but it is pretty good at everything. Making it perfect for me".
              I think this sums it up very well.

Comment

Thanks folks... I like the "pretty good at everything" bikes. Once my girlfriend has the pavement thing down, we will look at getting some older KLRs to increase the fun (she whoops my butt on dirt).

Thoughts on value of the 750 I posted? http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2185434276.html

Here's a 600 in my range: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2175979276.html

Given the number of miles I average per year, I hope to get a few years out of each bike I own. Usually shoot for about 100k out of each.
                Last edited by Smash; 02-17-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

give her a try

I am relatively new to the world of Kat's as well. I just bought mine back in November. I absolutely love it though, they definitely do the job and do it well. I don't know the going rate of the bikes very well, but I will say that I got my 2001 750 with 11,000 miles for 1800 with a helmet, cover, and alarm and was more than happy with this deal. It looks like the one you are looking at has been taken care of slightly better than mine was so it looks like it might be worth the money. Go give her a test drive, I'm sure you will love the world of Katana's.

Comment

That 600 looks damn clean.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                      That 600 looks damn clean.

I agree. With basically "as new" miles as well.

Is there a 600 vs 750 thread around here somewheres? The search engine won't pull anything up. A test ride will help show the differences, but without being able to get loaded up and hit the highway I'm afraid the true differences will not come to light.

Comment

The only real noticable difference will be low rpm torque. The 750 should have a bit more pull at low rpm, so you wouldn't have to tapdance on the shifter as quickly running hard in the twisties. Top speeds the stock 750 should have about 10-15mph advantage over a stock 600. My 600 has been modified a bit, and has plenty of power for me to ride 2up (about 330lbs combined weight) in the mountains all day long as low as 6k rpm, but I do have to downshift and get the rpm's up above 9k-9500rpm to make a quick pass, where a 750's extra grunt would be handy.
                        Last edited by Psycho1; 02-17-2011, 02:26 PM.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh OK thank you, so no noticeable difference in touring situations then? (loaded, freeway, that sort)

Comment

The bars are about 1" higher on the 750 compaired to the 600, so you may be more comfortable on really long rides. On pre 98 Kat's the stock 750's windshield is also about 1 1/2" taller for a little better wind protection.
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

I just wanted to say that when I grop up I want to be just like you ( ride 25 000 pleasure miles a year )
                              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X