Pre 600 versus current sport bike 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre 600 versus current sport bike 600

Hey guys,
    I have not ridden many bikes in my day. My first bike is my current bike, a 92 Kat 600. As I look into upgrading my bike, I am obviously looking for something bigger/ more powerful. Is there a large difference between the amount of power on a current 600 R type bike, compared to the older Kat 600? Or will they feel about the same?
    Say you compared a 200x CBR600 to my 92 Kat 600. Will the CBR blow it out of the water performance wise? Should I jump up to another 600 before picking up a liter bike?

Thanks guys

Any 600SS bike newer than say 2004 will make the Kat600 feel real slow, especially once you get over 120mph or so.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

I know the newer bikes do have better performance than the older bikes. Id say go take a test ride on one of the newer 600's and feel it to see if its going to suffice with what power you want.
      1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

Comment

My kat 1100 will make your 600 feel slow. A new 600 sport bike will make my 1100 feel slow. It is the pecking order of the bike.
        If you haven't riding too long, stick with what you got, have fun, ride safe. if you want the thrill that comes with a liter bike, get one, just look into the insurance cost of what you want before buying it.
        Also, besides more power, you get other goodies with a newer liter bike, like better suspension, better brakes, FI, maybe even abs!
        The down side is that they can be more complex and harder to work on. The stone age design of the Katana is a blessing when it comes to maintenance.

Comment

+1 i have also got a 2003 gsxr 600 . it blows my pre kat 6 and my sisters post kat 6 away. 2 different worlds

Comment

My 636 made a katana 750 feel like an absolute dog, consider that the 600 has a good bit less horsepower and well...you get the point.

The katana is very comfy though, my bike is def not.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The newer SS 600's all have around 125 horsepower (an 04 GSX-R-600 has 126 hp (92.7 kW)/ 13,000 rpm, 69.6 Nm / 10,800 rpm. ), whereas your 92 kat has around 86 hp (62.8 Nm)/ 11,000 rpm, 58 Nm (5.9 kg-m)/ 9,500 rpm.8

(http://www.suzukicycles.org/All-Suzu...ki_models.html)

Oh - don't forget to take into account the horsepower/lbs weight ratios. Our bikes are heavy!
              1998 - 600, 1997 - 600

Comment

Ya not even apples to Oranges on this.. they are worlds apart. Two different machines for two different applications.
                '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

Originally posted by rob845 View Post
                  Ya not even apples to Oranges on this.. they are worlds apart. Two different machines for two different applications.
                  +1 If you're looking for the quickness and canyon carving, newish 600's are your tool. That sort of thing isn't for everybody, but as said above, check out some insurance quotes on a liter before you jump on board. Both those bikes will be much higher than a Kat, but the liter will definitely set you back.
                  sigpic
                  "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                    My kat 1100 will make your 600 feel slow. A new 600 sport bike will make my 1100 feel slow. It is the pecking order of the bike.
                    If you haven't riding too long, stick with what you got, have fun, ride safe. if you want the thrill that comes with a liter bike, get one, just look into the insurance cost of what you want before buying it.
                    Also, besides more power, you get other goodies with a newer liter bike, like better suspension, better brakes, FI, maybe even abs!
                    The down side is that they can be more complex and harder to work on. The stone age design of the Katana is a blessing when it comes to maintenance.
                    +1 This is all sooo true. I have ridden quite a few of the new sport bikes, both 600's and 1000's. With new technology comes gobs of advances and the new 600's are REAL peppy! Its the same thing here as your hearing over and over: I got an R6 set up for the track and it just dusts my 750, especially in the higher RPMs. Off the line they are right about the same, but after 6k or so that R6 just doesn't quit! Gets to 15k in a heatbeat.

(in all fairness though, I can't tell you how many guys on new 600's or 1k's that I've dusted on my 750 cuz I'll go full open throttle and they won't use any of that power they are paying for)

Yeah, the new 1k are even faster, but its not that bad I think. With a few years under your belt of riding I think going from a Katana to an 600 or 1k is more a personal choice. Its not like going from a 250 Nighthawk to a ZX-10 or something... now someone is going to lambast me

Lots of other good points there, like about insurance and what you are using the bike for.
                    1989 Katana GSX750F
                    1995 CB250 Nighthawk
                    2004 YFZ-R6 (track bike)

Comment

Working...
                    X