Smoking 01 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking 01 600

Hi everyone,
    I am fairly new to KT and would like to see if anyone can help me out. I have a 01 600 that I bought last summer, it sat for 5 years and only had 4400 miles on it. My problem is that smokes everytime I start it cold for a min or 2, the smoke is lite blue so I know that is fuel but not sure How to fix the problem. Any help is much appreciated.. Clete

If anything, it's probably carb related. Try some Redex or other carb/injector cleaner before you start tearing it apart. I'm not a mechanic....but it seems like a simple fix if it were to work.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Smoke color
      white is usually water(moisture)/ antifreeze ( not watercooled so no problem )
      black is usually fuel
      blue is usually oil

I would suspect valve seals have hardened up
      I would be tempted to see what happens after running it a bit and a couple oil changes
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Thanks for the help. I try both. I plan some bigger rides this spring and summer, so we'll see what happens, and I'll update you all later on. Thanks, Clete

Comment

While your at it take those decals off

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
            Smoke color
            white is usually water(moisture)/ antifreeze ( not watercooled so no problem )
            black is usually fuel
            blue is usually oil

I would suspect valve seals have hardened up
            I would be tempted to see what happens after running it a bit and a couple oil changes
            +1
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

As rexazz2 posted and Astro4x4 agreed.
              Blue smoke would indicate oil burning and I would also think some oil is finding its way into the combustion chamber by way of valve seals. Give the engine some running time and see if the issue goes away before you start opening things up.

Comment

+1 on what these guys have said. Blue smoke always suspect oil burning. Mine did for a couple days after i bought her but has stopped after an oil change and some good old run time.
                1993 Suzuki GSX 600F Katana

sigpic

Comment

I agree with the above oil statements.

Comment

Working...
                  X