X

what kind of gas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of gas?

just bought a 2000 katana 600, about to go to the gas station what do i get?

87 or regular.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I only put premium in my bike and so does everyone else I know

Comment

If you read the owners manual, you'll see that Suzuki calls for 87. Premium fuel is really only necessary in two cases... the first when running high compression, the second when listed in the owners manual.

My Sprint calls for a minimum of 89.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah i run 93 but i have a high compresaion ratio and it won't run on anything else lol but I ran 87 in my stock ninja btw hit me up with a pm i'm looking forword to riding with you
          I always saw Wile E. Coyote as some sort of Sisyphus-like protagonist: endlessly re-enacting the futility and sorrow of the human experience through failed attempts at overcoming obstacles via technological advancement. The Roadrunner is a Hades figure, endlessly tormenting him with what he wants, just out of reach in an eternal desert. Meep meep

Comment

Unless you have an overbore, no katana will ever need anything else but 87 and will not benefit from higher octane fuel.

I run my 636 on 89, and I have a much higher CR and higher performance engine.

You can put 93 in if you want, but you're wasting your money.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys!

I'll pm you before the weekend, I'll be there Friday night
              Last edited by prichard; 01-24-2011, 01:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                Wasting money makes me happy, so STFU.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  If you read the owners manual, you'll see that Suzuki calls for 87. Premium fuel is really only necessary in two cases... the first when running high compression, the second when listed in the owners manual.

There a couple of reasons to use premium. If you store your bike, as the gas ages, the octane level of it will also drop.
                  My bike will knock on hot days when I ride it hard, perhaps this is caused by my combo of a CA spec ignition and an ignition advancer. At any rate, I use premium .

Comment

all i run in my post 750 is reg. no problems with fuel at all.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Same here, I run 87 reg.
                      The few times I ran premium I found my Kat's rpms would fluctuate while I was sitting at at stop lights and the such. But was also early last year before I had my carbs cleaned and synced so it could've just been that.
                      1999 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

93 octane? I wish we had that. In the west, the best you can get is 91. When I got my GTO dynotuned, was told that if we had 93 and tuned for it, I could have picked up an extra 10-15hp.
                        Grrrrr......

Comment

If your state makes you use ethanol "corn fuel" use Stabil. Corn gas is brutal on metal tanks, rubber in general (carb bladders) and hoses. Also keeping the tank full during the cold months will help prevent moisture buildup in the tank.
                          My YouTube Videos
                          My motorcyle map!

Comment

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
                            If your state makes you use ethanol "corn fuel" use Stabil. Corn gas is brutal on metal tanks, rubber in general (carb bladders) and hoses. Also keeping the tank full during the cold months will help prevent moisture buildup in the tank.
                            You need stabil marine, the regular red stabil does nothing inregards to ethanol.

All our gas is e10, so I always have marine in my tank, seeing as how I only fill up every other week once the season hits.
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Regular (87) non ethanol...
                              2014 Ducati Monster 1200
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Comment

Working...
                              X