X

People are crazy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People are crazy

So here in michigan, its -3F~-20C. There isnt a ton of ice on the road, but there is a fair amount of snow. The other day i was pulling out of my gfs sub, and someone cut me off in a vehicle I was surprised to see (probably really shouldnt have been), a snowmobile. We were going down a major road, and the snowmobile was just riding along side with me, went right past a cop, no issues at all.

Thats not what was weird.

I was heading down the road today to see my gf, saw the single headlight in the oncoming traffic. Thinking it was a snowmobile, but surprised nevertheless, it took a glance at it, and then had to take a double take. Id never in my life seen a snowmobile with no tread, and 2 tires. Some idiot was out riding his motorcycle, on the snowy, FREEZING cold. Even if the roads were perfectly clean, then their is the windchill, which according to http://www.weather.gov/om/windchill/ would be -30F!!! That guy has some balls, or maybe not because they have shrunk back inside himself
    Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

wAy to cold for me to be riding it makes me cold just thinking about it. I got to ride today here in Louisiana it was like 50 degrees and that's still a little nippy on my hands
    sigpic
    "Horsepower has a tendency to break things, if your not breaking anything your not going fast enough"
    "The shortest way between two points is a straight line...Whats the fun in that?"

Comment

So let me get this straight... you live somewhere the temp drops below zero? You're right, people are crazy and you're one of them!

Just a Texas boy stuck in the frozen wastelands of New Joisey. It's all a matter of perspective.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

good snowmobile gear will keep you plenty warm enough on a bike

I have a suit that cause me to sweat at 80mph on the coldest of days

However my bike still goes into storage
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I live 25 miles north of NYC and have been taking out my bike once a week this winter for app 1 hour each time. I use a very old snowmobile/ice fishing suit combined with heavy gauntlets and heavy duty slip on pac boots. Only thing that gets cold is my face since a face mask won't fit under my helmet. I have driven as low as 20 degrees and I go out at night since there is no traffic around at that time. Am I crazy? Probably

Comment

Originally posted by liaf View Post
            I live 25 miles north of NYC and have been taking out my bike once a week this winter for app 1 hour each time. I use a very old snowmobile/ice fishing suit combined with heavy gauntlets and heavy duty slip on pac boots. Only thing that gets cold is my face since a face mask won't fit under my helmet. I have driven as low as 20 degrees and I go out at night since there is no traffic around at that time. Am I crazy? Probably
            a silk balaclava will probably fit. it helps a little. crazy is a relative term. crazy for some not crazy for others. it beats not riding for a while.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
              a silk balaclava will probably fit. it helps a little.
              Thanks I will check it out since the face mask I have are the ones I use for cold weather hunting. I also think my scorpion helmet(medium) is too small so i will get the large one next spring.

Comment

Im still riding although its my dirtbike/enduro right now with a foot of snow out there.

I have handle bar muffs on the KAT for when the roads are clear. But for the DB just snow pants plastic bags in my boots, my Icon merc jacket with a heavy winter jacket over top, good leather winter gloves keeps me toasty
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  So let me get this straight... you live somewhere the temp drops below zero? You're right, people are crazy and you're one of them!

Just a Texas boy stuck in the frozen wastelands of New Joisey. It's all a matter of perspective.
                  Texas boy too? This explains much. Howdy! And to stay in line with the thread, that's just pretty freaking cold...I have ridden at 18 degrees and thought I was cool. I salute Frosty the Snowman. (was he wearing what might have resembled an old silk hat that must have had some magic in it?) (uh, maybe a corn cob pipe going too?) just wond'rin...:bunny2 (did he appear abominable maybe?)

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Fault.... I'm right across the "big ditch" from you..... and I ain't riding either.
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

It's not just the cold that keeps my butt off of the kat, it's all the freaking gravel they drop on our roads here. Even if I did want to freeze my balls off, the roads still make for pretty hairy riding. There are certain areas that I have to be careful of clear into June when making turns. There are still quite a few nuts riding all winter long around here too. I shouldn't be so surprised as I live dead center in a region chocked full of snowmobile enthusiasts.
                      It's all good! It's goody good!

Comment

When I lived in OR, we parked the bikes and took out the atv's and snowmobiles to ride around town when we had ice or snow.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                          Fault.... I'm right across the "big ditch" from you..... and I ain't riding either.
                          Yea what are these people talking about? Freezing, slippery, and dark out
                          Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post

I went out shopping today and I think it was about 2 degrees or something like that. I wasn't cold. I didn't even have gloves or a hat on.

In my opinion it's not "cold" until it's below zero, windchill included. There was no wind today so it was perfectly fine. I considered heading over to the park to play hockey.

Live around here you get four distinct seasons. I couldn't imagine living further south and having "summer" all year round. It would get very boring to me.

Comment

Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post
                              I went out shopping today and I think it was about 2 degrees or something like that. I wasn't cold. I didn't even have gloves or a hat on.

In my opinion it's not "cold" until it's below zero, windchill included. There was no wind today so it was perfectly fine. I considered heading over to the park to play hockey.

Live around here you get four distinct seasons. I couldn't imagine living further south and having "summer" all year round. It would get very boring to me.
                              Why? Just to simply say you did? Some of us have nothing to prove when it comes to riding. I'm not flaming you bro....but age and experience has taught me that if I want to keep doing what I enjoy for another decade or so, then I have to keep using the wisdom I gained along the way. I learned a long time ago that loose gravel wasn't my friend on visiting twisties frequented by wannabe racers , neither was sand ....which they seem to mix in with their salt around here to melt snow on the Hw.
                              But..... if you want to ride, who am I to question your decision?
                              Peace

Nino
                              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                              ------------------------------------------
                              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X