X

wut i learned today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wut i learned today

Even the smallest bit of gasket gettin into ur carbs will cause major problems like flooding or not getting gas if u even have an inkling that u have a petcock problem fix it right away. One of the gaskets on mine broke into a million tiny peices and clogged up my floats I thought I got em all the first time and had to tear it apart again. It sucked and if I had the money I would have wasted it takin it to a shop. Not doing minor repairs right away can causeMAJOR PROBLEMS. Please learn from my mistakes lol

Run an inline fuel filter (i think i paid $3 for mine) right before fuel goes into the carb. Lazy fix for a rusted tank/bad lines BUT serves as a last line of defense before crap gets into the carb.

Comment

I learnt that Steve is a true wizard. Never doubt it.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
        I learnt that Steve is a true wizard. Never doubt it.

Comment

Yeah I had thought about doin that then I read a bunch of posts sayin that because kats r gravity fed it might constrict the flow of gas. I went to the local bike shop to order a petcock rebuild kit and saw some inline filters and decided to try it I looked for the one that looked like it would flow the best and it seems to work pretty good I also found the oring I needed and fixed my petcock for 50 cents instead of 30 bucks. Forgot to mention that the reason I broke down and bought one was because it started laggin on me again and when I got home I tore down my carbs once again and found another peice of broken gasket lol

Comment

So to update I been runnin the inline filters for a couple days and she wants to stall out when I go to stop so I'm thinkin they r constricting the flow a bit so I'm gonna take em off and see if she still wants to stall out. And the oring I bought seperate works beautifully

Comment

You have MINIMAL gas flow requirements at idle or when slowing.. compared to cruising or higher revs. I personally don't think the inline fuel filter is the issue here. If the restriction was actually impeding gas flow, you wouldn't be able to keep up high revs. If I were you, i'd check the idle speed setting and the pilots. Have you synced the carbs recently? Where in Houston are you? I'm near Pearland.

Comment

Yeah that makes sense I decided I'm gonna prob put em back on anyways and clean the ports really good I've messed with the idle adjustment but it only wants to run while idling bout 3500. So I guess I'll break down the carbs once more. Wow ur prtty close I just moved from jersey village to friendswood a couple months ago. I made a carb sync tool that I foundon the forum my bro was helpin me out but I don't think he got it quite right
                Last edited by outlaw; 01-20-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

If it can't get below 3500 you have totally clogged jets. Does the idle even drop when you move the screw? When you cleaned them did you unscrew the pilot jets and clean them? you should see a nice hole of light when looking through them to the sky. I'm betting you didn't break them down enough to clean all the way.

Leave the fuel filter in place, the posts have them ( at least mine does )

IMO plan for 1/2 to 3/4 of a day cleaning EVERYTHING in the carbs. get two large cans of carb cleaner, get two cans of compressed air. and maybe some 6# or 8# test fishing line to poke down into the jet holes to clear them.

Then do a bench sync, make sure all the butterfly valves move and look the same. then put them back on the bike.
                  '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

Nah they didn't get cleaned I had my bro help cause I don't kno much about carbs. He's no expert but knos more than me. He did bench sync them tho I will take ur advice and tear em completely down and spend more time cleanin them. Thanks for the help

Comment

Nah they didn't get cleaned I had my bro help cause I don't kno much about carbs. He's no expert but knos more than me. He did bench sync them tho I will take ur advice and tear em completely down and spend more time cleanin them. Thanks for the help

Comment

Are the pilot jets the flathead screw lookin deal inside the float bowl? And r they set a certain way or screwed all the way in

Are the pilot jets the flathead screw lookin deal inside the float bowl? And r they set a certain way or screwed all the way in
                        Last edited by outlaw; 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Those bare the main jets. The pilots are under the black rubber plugs. While you're at it, hit the wiki for carbs101 and download the pdf. It'll walk you all the way through cleaning out your carbs.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by tb0lt View Post
                            Don't mind Dan. what with him using a helmet with both his bike and his miata, he is suffering from "mugahelmetitis". this is a rare syndrome brought on by the over use of a helmet and mugwart at the same time. symptoms include getting confused and not remembering the topic he is responding to.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                              Don't mind Dan. what with him using a helmet with both his bike and his miata, he is suffering from "mugahelmetitis". this is a rare syndrome brought on by the over use of a helmet and mugwart at the same time. symptoms include getting confused and not remembering the topic he is responding to.

Outlaw, I sent you an email.

Comment

Working...
                              X