X

honestly...did you set your float height

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honestly...did you set your float height

If so, what tool did you use and how did you measure it. I work at a garage so I have access to several dial calipers/gauges. Would that be accurate enough to measure it. I just got my FP jet kit and want to do it right.

Get a floppy disk. Cut it to size. It's been done.

I have a float gauge.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I used a digital caliper.

Comment

First of all, the setting is 14.7mm +- 1mm. 1mm is a lot of room for error. You don't have to be too precise but it does help if you're consistent. I cut a 14.7mm notch out of an old AMA card with a deeper notch in the center to clear the float bracket. Before I did that I was using a cheap, plastic caliper from Lowes. I have noticed that since I started using the AMA card syncing goes really quick. Not much adjustment needed provided I bench-sync and sometimes no adjustment needed at all! My opinion is that because the go-no go gauge lets me be very consistent between the carbs, the cylinders are all getting the same fuel-air mix and that minimizes the difference between cylinders, minimizing the adjustment needed to sync them to each other.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

i recently installed a FP jet kit. it called for 14.0 mm height when the float tang just touched the needle valve. the spring loaded pin was 2mm above the body of the valve seat so i inverted the carbs and set the floats at 12mm and bench synced. when i started her up she idled the best since i had her. ran great on my road test. ok so far. ps. i used wild-bill's method for checking height.
          Last edited by KAT TOY; 01-11-2011, 08:53 PM.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

You actually set your floats at 12mm?! That'll have you running way rich. No wonder she's idling so easy! Your fuel mileage could be better and you could get a bit more power by leaning it out next time you've got the carbs off. Method is to measure with the carbs upside down and tilted so the float tang is resting on but not depressing the spring-loaded pin. Remember that since you're measuring with the carbs upside down less is more. IOW, lowering the floats when upside down from, say 14 to 12mm is going to translate to a higher fuel level when you turn the carbs back right-side-up.

BTW, While I'd love to take credit, it's not my method. I didn't originate the ideas, I just collect lots of ideas, mix them together and if they work I pass them on.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              Get a floppy disk.
              What's this... "floppy disk" device you speak of?
              Anyway it's not too extremely difficult to set the height. Just try to be as close as possible if you make your own gauge.
              "Everyone's a pacifist between wars. It's like being a vegetarian between meals." -Colman McCarthy

Comment

Working...
              X