High Revving '04 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Revving '04 750

Hello All,
    I just bought a 2004 750 Katana. When underway if I give the bike near full throttle the rpms jump way up similar to what it would do if I would be reving the bike with the clutch pulled in or in nuetral. This happens in any gear.
    I suspect it is a slipping clutch that either needs adjusting or replacing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks Ahead

Change the oil first with 4 cycle motorcycle oil, then adjust the clutch.

Comment

Definetly either a improper clutch adjustment/wear problem, or wrong oil.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

Are we talking about the engine oil or something else? My kat slips hard as soon as it hits 9k at full throttle and i want to make sure that its the clutch before buying a new clutch for it

Comment

Yes, the engine oil. It's a wet clutch design, which means that the engine oil is on the clutch. That's why it's so important to use the right oil. Incorrect oil will make the clutch slip, among other things.

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
            Yes, the engine oil. It's a wet clutch design, which means that the engine oil is on the clutch. That's why it's so important to use the right oil. Incorrect oil will make the clutch slip, among other things.
            +1
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Pull the clutch out, I bet your steels are blued.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

When i first got my bike my pops said "if you get on it (yank on the throttle) the clutch will slip" I'm going to ask him what kind of oil he used but is the oil the main culprit in this problem most likely?

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                Pull the clutch out, I bet your steels are blued.
                What does a blue'd steel mean?
                1998 Katana GSX750F
                “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Comment

most likely its either wrong oil, or improper clutch adjustment... easiest way to figure it out is to sit on your bike with it running... pop it into first, and slowly release the clutch with no throttle... your going to be looking for your catch point on your clutch (where you start to feel your bike move, and your engine grab) if your clutch is almost fully released when you feel the catch point, your lever need adjustment... this can cause the clutch to slip under heave acceleration ... same thing happened to me

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                  "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Originally posted by Shreder View Post
                    What does a blue'd steel mean?
                    The steel plates in your clutch basket will likely have a blue haze to them due to slipping, it builds up a lot of heat.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                    X