Rant: WTH was the previous owner thinking

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant: WTH was the previous owner thinking

[rant on]

So I picked up the 750 last week,. it ran well but was not smooth, felt like something was "off" so I figured it was the carbs. Yup, I was right. The PO said that he cleaned the carbs from the bike sitting for so long, so I was thinking the they were still plugged a bit. NOPE! the butterfly adjustment springs between all the carbs wee set up in such a way that at "idle" carb #1 was closed, #2 was to about the 3rd hole, #3 the throttle cam was 1/4" OFF ( as in not touching) the idle screw and #4 was closed....

AND the screws to ALL the bowls are toast. I am going to need a new set and probably cut these ones off.

Once the springs were right I bench synced the carbs and set the idle mixture to what is suggested here and put it all back on.

The bike idles WAY better and the best part, the idle screw ACTUALLY adjusts the idle. I just can't wait to ride it and see how the 750 feels.

[/rant off]

these are WAY easier to get to than VFR carbs, so that was a plus....
    '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Well, on the other side of the coin, it's those PO gaffes that tend to make bikes a bit cheaper.
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

True. I think I am more irritated that he destroyed the float bowl screws more than anything. But I am happy that I looked at them and now KNOW the condition of them....

My cousin once bought a car, back in '00 for $150 because the owner was tired of it running like crap. it was an early 90's Taurus, good condition, with 100k+ miles. once he brought it home he replaced the cap and rotor and it ran like a dream for 3 years before he sold it...
      '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

Hit the McMaster-Carr website and order a bag of 100 SS cap screws (M4 x 16 mm, .7mm pitch) for $9.83 with shipping. (Shipping is half of that so if you need anything else you may as well order that at the same time. The cap screws are M4 x 12mm if you're looking at them.) Next time you pull the carbs you'll have the proper screws standing by, ready to go. Use a pair of vice grips to break the old screws loose and swap those bad boys out.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

If you don't want to wait for the cap screws to be shipped, go to Lowes. That's where I got mine. I too had to use a pair of long nose vise grip pliers to get the original screws out.

Comment

get yourself a mini pair of genuine vicegrips to deal with float bowl screws

I had a guy watch me do back brakes on my car one time , he thought he would do his own after that
            At that same time he stepped on my creaper and did a Homer Simpson
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

not just the PO though... I see a lot of posts on bike and car forums, and cant help but think "WHAT THE HELL IS THE CURRENT OWNER THINKING?!!?!?"

See My Garage for mods...
              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Working...
              X