X

Is something wrong with my fuel tank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is something wrong with my fuel tank?

I have a 2000 kat 600, federal model, and every time I fill up it's 2.5 gals. Is this normal?

Isn't the tank size supposed to be 5.3 gals?

Do you have any ideas how many miles you're getting per tank?

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

it varies between 80-110 (32-45 mpg)

Comment

That could be an indicator of how much fuel you've burned. Both my 600 and my 750 gave me between 125 and 140 per tank (more actually...I never pushed it) depending on how fast I rode.
        Last edited by zuma; 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

right, but when i fill up, it should be around 3-4 gals, not 5? I've ran out of gas before and when i filled it up it was only 3 gals or so.

Comment

sounds like your gauge is off...

I have an 01 750... and I have gotten about 52mpg on the highway with it.

I fill up when it hits the red bar, and its usually about 3.5gals or so.

remember, when the engine shuts down, you still have a 1gallon reserve

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

I get right at 50mpg with my pre 600 as long as I'm just cruising, if I'm riding hard it drops to somewhere around 35mpg. I think I read somewhere that Cali models had a smaller tank capacity due to the bottom of the tank being raised for clearance for some emisions stuff. If so it could be possible that the tank may have been replaced with a Cali model tank for some reason.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

Standard tank was around 5.2 gallons, the CA emmisions tank is around 4.8gallons...

The standard gas gauge on a Kat will generally show E at 1/2 a tank of fuel. You got about another gallong before you need to hit reserve.

The real question is how far can you ride before you have to switch it to reserve for more fuel. Don't go by the fuel gauge.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

when you fill it up do you put the nozzle all the way in the tank ?
                  If you put the nozzle all the way in it probably reaches half way to the bottom

When I am going for a tour I fill it to the brim and can out run the rest of the pack for milage on my 750

You know you have reserve fuel by turning the petcock when you run out

the tank should be around 5 gallons including the reserve
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's not a cali model or tank - I've taken the tank off too many times to care to mention - and I didn't see any extra emissions stuff.

When I took apart my petcock, the "reserve" tank just skipped the fuel strainer - isn't that bad? like more potential for gunk to get sucked in?

When I fill up I push the nozzle all the way in, then set the nozzle latch or whatever it's called, stand around for a bit and it clicks off and tada, 2.5 gallons.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesm113 View Post
                      I have a 2000 kat 600, federal model
                      Oooo what does that mean, is just a U.S. spec. machine or some special edition?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe_UK View Post
                        Oooo what does that mean, is just a U.S. spec. machine or some special edition?
                        not a CA model

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's not a cali model or tank - I've taken the tank off too many times to care to mention - and I didn't see any extra emissions stuff.

When I took apart my petcock, the "reserve" tank just skipped the fuel strainer - isn't that bad? like more potential for gunk to get sucked in?

When I fill up I push the nozzle all the way in, then set the nozzle latch or whatever it's called, stand around for a bit and it clicks off and tada, 2.5 gallons.
                          Thats why. You have to sit the bike up and gradually pull the nozzle up to get a full tank.

Comment

There's your problem. You're not filling the tank all the way. Hold the nozzle so that the end of the nozzle is just inside the top of the tank and watch for the gas level to come to the top. Don't use the latch.

As usual, the 10% rule applies. You need to be a minimum of 10% smarter than the inanimate objects you attempt to use.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I can get almost 1/4 gallon or more into the tank on the center stand than on the side stand or standing the bike up.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X