X

Camshaft swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camshaft swap

So I decided part of my winter project for my 1992 Katana 600 will include a camshaft swap to the gsxr750 1992 cams. Has anyone done this, if so what kind of difference can I expect. The bike has ignition advance, stage one jet kit, 4-1 yoshi exhaust already. I thought about selling the kat to get a cbr 600 but ultimately opted to just spice the old kat up a little. I also swapped out the rear wheel for a 2003 and put a 160/60 conti road attack on, great upgrade for a pre.

The 1992 (1991 Euro spec, 1992 GSXR were w/c over here) had shim type valve adjustment and 8 camlobes per camshaft. A feature which came in on the 1993 GSX600F if I'm not mistaken. So please check that the cams you're buying are compatible with your head.

Comment

I thought it was 1991 that the cams on the GSX600F changed?

Comment

Actually with the pre 600 motors.... it's somewhat of a craps shoot as to what you'll find when you open up the head. Suzuki was not really consistent with what they put into which bike.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

According to the research I have done so far the U.S. 1992 changed to the screw type with 4 lobes as Wolfe suggested. I will find out for sure soon enough and keep you posted.

Comment

As far as the UK/maybe Europe goes.. It seems 88-91 GSX600F were 4-lobe cams with screw tappets and 92 onwards were 8-lobe cams with shim tappets.

Comment

I think you are right. individual rocker arms from 92-97. The 1991 and 1992 gsxr750 have 8 lobes so I think that will work. What exactly is the difference between shim and screw type?

Comment

Screw types you adjust valve hight by a screw, and shim types you do it by swapping different sized shims.

Comment

Anyone know where to get a hold of valve shims that would work with a 1992 katana 600?

Comment

Internet for a set of them but the cost will shock you...
                    I know the Suzuki dealer here will let you swap them out with them, one for one but that might not be more than a local thing.

Comment

chk web cams site, might be cheaper to get new ones anyway

Comment

1992, 600-750 cams might be identical…

Originally posted by Katana 600 NJ View Post
                        So I decided part of my winter project for my 1992 Katana 600 will include a camshaft swap to the gsxr750 1992 cams. Has anyone done this, if so what kind of difference can I expect.
                        I found out for 1993 the 600 and 750 cams are identical. I compared the part numbers from bikebandit.com.
                        If so and you want a high lift cam, order the 1988 GSXR-750 J cams.
                        Put the cam sprockets from your 600 on the 750 cams, because the sprockets ARE different.
                        Then before you put the cover back on, rotate the motor by hand to be sure you did it right.
                        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                          I found out for 1993 the 600 and 750 cams are identical. I compared the part numbers from bikebandit.com.
                          If so and you want a high lift cam, order the 1988 GSXR-750 J cams.
                          Put the cam sprockets from your 600 on the 750 cams, because the sprockets ARE different.
                          Then before you put the cover back on, rotate the motor by hand to be sure you did it right.
                          Bill

Bill that looks like some great information , thanks for posting it. I wonder if the original poster ever finished his cam swap? out of curiosity, how does this improve performance on a 93 gsx600f?

Regards,

Will
                          Will R. Everett,WA

"I am not in a hurry to die....just to live before I die" ---Me

Comment

Working...
                          X