X

Adjusting the clutch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting the clutch?

Hey guys , Names Ant, Just bought my first bike. 95 suzuki katana gsxrf 750.

Guy i bought it from looked like he started it as a project and just couldnt finish. Now im taking over, **** i couldnt beat the price.

But according to his mechanic, the clutch needs to be adjusted to make it completely road worthy.

Ive done a few searches and all they say is to adjust the screw after loosening the locking nut. Done that but it doesnt seem to be working, can someone tell me what im doing wrong?

Any and all help is appreciated.

-Ant

MODS: if this is in the wrong section could someone please tow it to the correct subforum.

make sure the handle bar adjuster is in most of the way.
    remove the black rubber cap off the sprocket coverso you can see the clutch pushrod adjuster.
    loosen the lock nut and back off the adjuster bolt a couple turns (counter clockwise)
    then turn adjuster clockwise until you JUST feel resistance
    then back off the adjuster 1/3 of a turn
    tighten the lock nut while holding the adjuster from turning and replace the black cap
    check the cable free play.
    if there is too much free play loosen the lock nut on the cable at the sprocket cover and back the cable out until you have the correct amount of free play,
    tighten the lock nut back up
    last lube the cable and pivot bolt on the lever
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
      mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Freeplay is key. A dime in the lever works well.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i'll throw my input into this one, it was a project bike eh? how long was it sitting not running? have you had it running? if you have have you started it in neutral and worked the clutch in and out after it was up to tempature? may be sticky plates. when you grab the clutch does it take a lot of work to squeeze?
        My computer Tech job in miramichi,nb,canada
        Adaptive Office Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by dpasch View Post
          i'll throw my input into this one, it was a project bike eh? how long was it sitting not running? have you had it running? if you have have you started it in neutral and worked the clutch in and out after it was up to tempature? may be sticky plates. when you grab the clutch does it take a lot of work to squeeze?

Sat for about a year. Fired right up once it had some gas and a charge to the battery.
          Clutch has alot of tension. Havent had the bike running long enough to run through the gears.

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64698

Freeplay is key. A dime in the lever works well.
            Good advice about the dime, I use a quarter but eh same difference.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

first thing i would do is get it running and run it through the gears and then start tweaking things. dont forget to lube it up too!
              "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
              2004 marauder 800

Comment

Originally posted by mstngsrule68 View Post
                first thing i would do is get it running and run it through the gears and then start tweaking things. dont forget to lube it up too!
                Thats the plan for saturday!

Diesel trick on the engine. Clean her out.

Oil change. Brake fluid flush. Everything new. Spark plugs were just changed.

Run through the gears, adjust the clutch. Make sure everythings straight.

Ill start a long term project thread on saturday!
                Thanks for all the fast responses.

Comment

diesel trick? explain??
                  "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
                  2004 marauder 800

Comment

Originally posted by mstngsrule68 View Post
                    diesel trick? explain??
                    We did this on my dirtbike, and friends boat.

When the motor sits for awile, oil gets gunked up.

Well to clean it, you use diesel instead of motor oil, run the motor for 4ish min. Then drain the diesel, and boom clean engine. New oil and oil filter. Smooth running motor

Comment

Probably needs more than an adjustment or he would have done it himself.
                      1996 Katana 600. D&D Custom Paint Job, Vance and Hines Full System, factory pro jet kit.

Comment

Originally posted by edrawba View Post
                        Probably needs more than an adjustment or he would have done it himself.
                        Kid who owned it before me could barely stand the bike up. He was way in over his head. Tried to paint the fairings and they look HORRIBLE. Did some ghetto wiring. Pretty much had no idea what he was doing.

Then again this is my first bike, so Hopefully once the weather clears up i can run the bike and see how much work it actually needs done.

Comment

use caution, the Kat has a WET clutch, and is oil and air cooled, diesel fuel instead of oil may break things....

See My Garage for mods...
                          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Wait...what exactly is the problem you're having with the clutch? Slipping or bad actuation?
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If you put diesel FUEL in the crank case, you likely glazed or burned out the clutch plates.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X