X

First long ride :) failed inspection :(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First long ride :) failed inspection :(

About four weeks ago I bought my 1989 GSX600F, three weeks ago I fixed all of the serious problems, two weeks ago I rode her around the block a few times and got insurance/registration, last weekend she wouldn't start so I had the bike apart to diagnose it, and this weekend:

It took a bunch of cranking to get it to start this weekend, but I knew that last weekend I got it going fine so I just kept trying until it worked. Once it started up it ran fine and I had no trouble re-starting during today's adventure's pit stops. I think cleaning the carbs should get the bike to 100% in the starting-trouble department... I'll find out over the winter.

This was my first ride (ever, not just this bike) on real streets beyond my neighborhood (since the MSF class), so I just picked some random destinations and rode. I stalled it at my first couple of stop signs/lights, but got the clutch feel squared away after that haha.

The first place I could think to go was the local Walmart. I don't know why since I wasn't even going to go inside to buy anything. I did some maneuvers in the empty part of the parking lot to see how much I remembered from MSF of slow speed turning and such. Anyway, on the way out of there, at one of the next traffic lights, a pickup truck pulled up on my left and honked. I looked over and the passenger pointed at my rear wheel. I looked back and I was dragging a big old tree branch LOL. Part of it was stuck in the chain guard and I didn't even notice before. I could have been pulling it for miles LOL. I waved to the truck people and pulled off into the next parking lot to remove the stick.

I cruised around some more and for the first time ever passed another biker going the other way. I waved by putting my left arm out and down, but it was some too-cool-for-imports guy and I didn't get a wave in return. Lame!

I rode up to where I took the MSF class and did some laps around the obstacle course thing they have painted into a parking lot there. I thought it was pretty easy; couldn't figure out how I was having so much trouble during the course, and that was with little lightweight 125cc Kawasaki Eliminators!

I rode on and passed a number of other bikers. The first individual guy I passed waved back; awesome! Then I passed a group of bikers and like 2 of the 7 or 8 of them waved to me; awesome again! The only bikes I saw were cruisers today... probably a bunch of stick-up-the-rear Harley riders. I guess you could say I had a stick in my rear too though LOL

Then I rode to the local Harley Davidson dealership for state inspection. I called practically every inspection station and auto shop in the area to find out if they'll inspect a motorcycle and the Harley dealership was the only one I could find within ~15 miles. I was afraid the bike would fail due to its worn sprockets, and I was right! FAILURE. I can't find sprocket/chain condition in my state's inspection guidelines, but I don't blame the guy... I would have failed me too with how much these things are worn down! I don't have a clue how the PO got it to pass inspection... maybe tipped his inspection person a few bucks But before I went I called and asked the Harley guys about what would happen if it failed, since I figured they wouldn't work on a Suzuki. They said their policy is to let you come back within a few weeks with the parts fixed and they'll give you the sticker then at no extra charge.

They also noted that my front tire has dry rot and needs to be replaced. It looks like a minimal amount of dry rot to me, but I guess I'll replace it. They wouldn't service the bike, so I doubt they marked it as needing fixing just to come up with some service things to charge me for (or maybe it was just to mess with me for not being a Harley owner? :P).

Also also, they said they didn't like how the fairings are being partly held on with zip-ties. I asked the guy if I could just come back with the fairings removed and he gave me a funny look and said "uhhhhhh.....I guess?"

I was hoping the bike would pass inspection and then I could do the sprockets/chain myself over the winter. I would have done it already but I don't have a center stand and no way to prop the bike up for service in the back. So, I was going to wait and get a center stand but I think I'll just buy the parts and have a local bike shop do the work so I can get it past inspection sooner. I don't think I can handle changing/balancing the tire myself anyway.

That sticker is the only thing keeping me from feeling okay parking it on the street at work in the city... with my luck a cop would be going around looking for vehicles with expired inspections and ticket me for it! So for now, public transportation it is...

dry rotted tires (or old hard tires even) are a disaster waiting to happen, replace those ASAP.

you cna buy a fairing bolt kit from bikebolts.com, or from other dealers.

same with chain and sprockets, its actually not that hard to do chain and sprockets if you have a place to do it, and the right tools... mainly a chain riveting tool, and the correct sockets for the front sprocket nut. (plus the hex bits for the sprocket cover, and sockets for the rst of the bolts for the rear sprocket carrier, etc.

check http://www.jakewilson.com or http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com for best tire prices.

check the Katana How To and FAQs, section for the sprocket change info, and be sure to get the SERVICE MANUAL for your bike form the WIKI.

good luck.. as a note, theres a lot of Katriders in SEPA who can assist, or offer snark

See My Garage for mods...
    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

replace those sprockets before you ride again. Change that tire, too. imagine leaning into a turn and your chain slips or your tires pop. That would no be worth the fun of riding in the cold weather. Not that wiping your nose every second and having to warm up your hands is all that fun to begin with.

Comment

I went to CycleGear today to buy replacement sprockets/chain, so that's done.
        I'm going to try to get a center stand for the bike or one of those swing arm stand things in the next week so next weekend I can replace the sprockets. It looks like Harbor Freight carries a swing arm stand other Katrider members have used, and there are a couple of those stores nearby.

I'll have to ride it to a local bike repair place for the front tire; I don't have a truck/trailer and I can't think of any friends with a truck either

Thanks for the info, newkatbie and JayBell. I was wondering where to go for the tire. I have been using the Haynes service manual PDF from the wiki/forum for the service I've done so far (replacing busted engine cover, oil change, misc. adjustments) and I found those posts you mentioned so I think I'm set for doing the sprocket change... thanks again! I already have all of the tools I need except for snap-ring pliers (might have some buried in a tool box somewhere, but will probably just buy new ones) and the chain breaker. And it looks like HarborFreight has those so I should be set.

Comment

Working...
        X