X

How do I change my front tire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I change my front tire?

I have a Katana 600 and need to take off the front tire. What is the procedure and what tools are required? Thanks

Remove the 4 bolts (2 each side) holding the front calipers on. Then remove the bolt that pinches the spindle. Get a 12mm allen and remove the spindle. Pretty easy as long as you have the front end hanging or supported.

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

put that thing on the center stand. Remove calipers (like was mentioned earlier) do not press brake after removing. Then take out axel screw. You might need someone to put weight on backend to lift front up. Remove tire
        : If you can't control yourself, you can't control your bike.

Comment

Im pretty sure hes talking about the rubber guys.

Comment

well in just a tire case.... a very sharp knife.
            "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
            2004 marauder 800

Comment

Originally posted by mstngsrule68 View Post
              well in just a tire case.... a very sharp knife.
              ok....no offense intended to the OP, but I am not sure it is a good idea to suggest using a sharp knife. considering the fact that most males learn how to remove a tire from a rim way back when we had peddle bikes as kids/teenagers, I believe it is safe to assume the OP does not have a lot of mechanical experience. this would also likely mean that he has very little "technique", which would come in very handy when you go up against tough rubber and steel belts, with a sharp knife. if he were to follow that advice, me thinks it be wise if he tossed the rim and the knife into the trunk of his car and go park someplace close to an emergency room and do it there....just in case.

go to youtube and search for "how to remove motorcycle tire from rim". it's a resource many overlook, and the "how to's" are much easier to follow than any manual. you actually get to watch a guy do it.

also, pay attention to what he says about your brake discs. don't go dropping your wheel down on them. you can scrap them pretty easily.

anyway...here's how:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pfp2Z9k0n0"]YouTube - SCUDMAN How to remove a motorcycle tire[/ame]
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Well, most people use "tire" and "wheel" interchangeably. I usually assume they mean "wheel."
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I use a harbor freight bead breaker:

And a set of 3 motion pro tire levers:
                  Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

You can use some rim protectors:
                  Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

...or just cut-up some old milk jugs to use.

I also use Yamaha tire lube spray (soap and water is NOT as good):
                  This website is for sale! parkeryamaha.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, parkeryamaha.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

So, once you have these items, it should be fairly easy with some practice. Just remember to slip the bead to the center of the rim on the side opposite to the one you are prying on. Have fun!

ps. Sometimes I find a rubber mallet comes in handy to help persuade the tire to slip off the rim on the back side:
                  Last edited by SlipKid; 12-07-2010, 02:44 PM.
                  '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

its worth the money to take it to a shop, you can ruin a rim if you dont know what your doing, scratch it all up, over/under tighten the axle and pinch nuts ect...
                    and they will prolly give you a dicount on the tire if you get it from them!

Comment

Thanks for sharing...looks quite feasible...the only hang up I guess I'd have, is balancing once the new rubber is on....I'd still have to bring it in for that.
                      2004 GSX750F

Comment

This is how you balance....

I balanced mine by using the axles and 2 concrete blocks.
                        Worked like a charm ~

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WHkSPZJ3fI&feature=related"]YouTube - SCUDMAN Balancing[/ame]
                        Last edited by jbo197; 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM.

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

I use something similar to this to balance with (you'll need some stick-on weights):

To me, taking a tire to the shop is a total waste of time and money.

A, because they tend to overcharge for their tires, and who knows how long they've been sitting on the shelf...

B, because shop rates are ridiculous...

C, because it would take me longer to drive there than to do the tire...

D, because I want it to be done correctly...

E, because you'd miss quality time wrenching on your scoot...
                          '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Working...
                          X