X

My first bike! GSXF 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first bike! GSXF 600

Just got a new bike! Been hunting on craigslist for a while, finally found what I wanted. Had to look through some not so great bikes before I got the one I like

First bike (1993 GSXF 600 24k miles): was scratched to hell, shifter was warped to hell, the idle rpm was jacked WAY up. It was idling around 3-4k. I brought the idle down, but if a custom bike shop brought it up that high, they might be just trying to hide another problem. Bike had been laid down on both sides, hard. Scratches everywhere. She was selling it for $1000, I offered her $800, she wouldnt budge.

Second bike (1994 GSXF 750 25k miles): laid down on both sides. Had a dent in the top of the gas can (how on earth?) Had a custom paint job that looked sort of tacky. Worst part? Bike wouldnt start. Thought maybe because it was just cold engine, but after doing a more thurough inspection, the starter plug wasnt properly attached, and wasnt something that could just fit into place. Guy was asking $1800, told him if he could get it started to let me know, but I just said that to be nice.

Third (2000 GSXF 600 11k miles): Winner winner chicken dinner. Had a custom body kit, Vance and Hines exhaust, wasnt visibly laid down. Shifter works pretty well. Previous owner painted over the front turn signals, and one of the rear signals needs to have the ground wire fixed. Needs new tires. But all in all, definatly worth $1500.

The bike was out in dearborn, went with my dad who lives in milford, who rode the bike home (hes been riding for much much longer than I have). It rode well, his hands went a bit numb from the cold, the wind, and vibrations.

My question is, can anyone identify this body kit?

Heres some pics!

Few questions:
    -can anyone identify the body kit?
    -what is a good extended windsheild? With the riding position, windsheild does NOTHING! With a full face helmet going 55mph, not that bad, but im sure if I take it up over 70, itll get bad
    -What can I do about the handlebars to reduce the vibrations?
    Last edited by Fault; 11-08-2010, 10:19 AM.
    Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

1. I don't see a body kit. Looks stock to me.
    2. you have a shortened windshield. Just get a stock one and you should be fine. Although it still doesn't block all the wind like a goldwing or something.
    3. Wear lots of gear and have some fun.

Comment

The rash on the right side is from a lay down. Maybe it's sanded out.

What the heck did the PO do to the grab bar?

The selector on the left hand side where your knee hits is the petcock control which changes how fuel is delivered. The labels are painted over. Straight down is where you want it.

Down is "ON"
      Left or toward the front of the bike is "RES" (reserve)
      Right is "PRI" (Prime, if the float bowls are empty)

I can't tell from the pics if it's in prime or reserve, but it should be in "ON". It looks like it's in prime, and that's bad.

All you will see in those stubby mirrors are your elbows. They are cheap to replace though.

It's not a custom body kit. It looks different from the other bikes you checked out because Suzuki changed the design in 1998. '98 - '06 looks basically the same. It's stock with a custom paint job

Comment

Originally posted by stonefry View Post
        The rash on the right side is from a lay down. Maybe it's sanded out.

What the heck did the PO do to the grab bar?

The selector on the left hand side where your knee hits is the petcock control which changes how fuel is delivered. The labels are painted over. Straight down is where you want it.

Down is "ON"
        Left or toward the front of the bike is "RES" (reserve)
        Right is "PRI" (Prime, if the float bowls are empty)

I can't tell from the pics if it's in prime or reserve, but it should be in "ON". It looks like it's in prime, and that's bad.

All you will see in those stubby mirrors are your elbows. They are cheap to replace though.

It's not a custom body kit. It looks different from the other bikes you checked out because Suzuki changed the design in 1998. '98 - '06 looks basically the same. It's stock with a custom paint job
        Fixed the selector yesterday when I found the manual online. The grab bar is weird, but I kinda like it too. The guy had told me it was a custom kit, i wasnt really sure though. Probably gonna repaint it eventually, or at the very least clean it up first
        Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

looks like he jacked the grab bar of a hyosung.
          "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

Still it is a nice looking bike..........
            sigpic
            98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
            Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

nice bike looks pretty much stock to me except from the slip on and the rear blinkers
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Congrats & welcome to the group
                Tejasandre

Comment

sweet ride!

Comment

Didn't say I didn't like the grab bars. They're just like the hyosung ones. I've considered the hyosung GT250 as a starter bike. EFI, nice looking naked bike, cheaper than the ninja 250.

Still trying to figure that all out. The starter bike thing. I hope to get the kat running. Anyways, nice bike. A lot nicer than mine.
                    "Courage is not reckless abandon, or bravery in the absence of fear. It is the knowledge of fear, the wisdom to know the costs of failure, the prudence to minimize those costs, and, in so doing, courage is the mastery of fear. Courage without fear is lunacy."

Comment

The windshield has been cut down, the center has been cut out of the grab bar, there are mini signals in the back and smaller mirrors.... other than those things (and the paint, obviously) the body is stock.

The chain needs some attention. As long as the orings are ok and there isn't a lot of wear (on the chain or sprockets), then it will probably be fine with a good clean and lube..... but it never hurts to replace them anyway.

If you rejet the bike it will vibe less. Other than that, filling the bars with lead shot/bb's and then epoxying shut will lessen the vibration.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Yea I plan on giving it some tlc over the winter. Had to borrow some cash from my dad to pay for it, but once I have him paid off, and I get new tires, im gonna first get the paint off the turn signals, so I can legally turn. Secondly I need bigger mirrors, cant see ANYTHING with those. Im totally blind with them, and I use my rear view a lot. I would love to get it repainted, either by myself or a custom painter that did my dads dragsters. Not really sure what I want, but something with a glossy finish for sure (the bike reminds me to much of a matte paint job, which Im not crazy about). All in all, I think i got a great deal

Comment

Working...
                        X