X

can it be polished?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can it be polished?

im in the proses of polishing all the aluminum parts on my kat, does anyone know if the swingarm is aluminum? i would really like to polish it

Originally posted by vpower102 View Post
    im in the proses of polishing all the aluminum parts on my kat, does anyone know if the swingarm is aluminum? i would really like to polish it

It's mild steel, and will rust very quickly if not coated with something.

You can polish it, and then apply a clear coat over it.

Or you can look at modding the bike so a different swingarm is on it that is aluminum.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hmm, how do you think the mild steal would look polished? any ideas on what aluminum swing arm would fit without to much modification?

Comment

hmm, how do you think the mild steal would look polished? any ideas on what aluminum swing arm would fit without to much modification?
        Ive left cars bare steel before, but they take a lot of upkeep. You'll have to wipe it down with WD-40 atleast once a week.

As for looks, youll have to find what you like best. At the Hot Rod shop we always rubbed them down with a red 3M scotch-brite to give them a machined finish.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Polished is polished... most people can't tell the differences in hue between the metals when they are polished, so it would look fine. You can have it powder coated with a clear coat after polish for the best results.

As for other swingarms...

2 options.

1. Custom made swingarm to your specifications to fit the bike with no mods.

2. Modify the bike/swingarm to use a swingarm from another bike.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Do chrome
            Live to ride,
            Ride KATANA!

Comment

Originally posted by chemomche View Post
              Do chrome
              good call, any idea on cost of chroming?

Comment

It really depends where you take it and how many things you are having chromed. Where in CA are you located. I'm in the OC and if you are looking to get stuff chromed I have a good contact for that. Reasonably priced and does a great job, he does a lot of motorcycle parts so he's experienced.
                The reason I say how many because the more stuff you have chromed the better the price gets.
                Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

If u decide to go the polished route take it to a powder coater after the polish to have them bake their clear on it, makes it more resistant to scratches.

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                    It really depends where you take it and how many things you are having chromed. Where in CA are you located. I'm in the OC and if you are looking to get stuff chromed I have a good contact for that. Reasonably priced and does a great job, he does a lot of motorcycle parts so he's experienced.
                    The reason I say how many because the more stuff you have chromed the better the price gets.
                    im in the sanfernando valley north of la, i think i just want to chrome the swing arm. im going to polish everything else i think

Comment

Working...
                    X