No announcement yet.
X

High Mileage Bikes (Bikes In General)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You obviously also seem to think that a motorcycle is an investment rather than a toy...you will ALWAYS lose your *** on a bike financially. Period.

What a shame.

Know it alls who know nothing
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

NSFW..........................google images for road rash ...................... GORY
      maybe a side boob or two

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPfjIIQyQ1Q&feature=related"]YouTube - fadi road rash, ottawa, canada, motorcycle accident, wipeout[/ame]
      Last edited by il_ragazzo; 11-09-2010, 10:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
      Tony
      94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
        lol....this is a funny thread. kinda sounds like you just bounced around from one bike to another and stopped on the one that was just the right combination of "powerful, pretty and cheap". you basically had no game plan at all....just winging it right 'til the end.

don't even know why you bothered asking for any advice. you followed none of it. if you did "care" about what you were spending your money on, you would have researched the pro's and con's of each and every bike you were considering.

your purchasing tactics were not practical in the least. me thinks you just wanted a fast and pretty bike so you can have the appearance of "fast and experienced".

well good luck with that, enjoy the bike, and try to stay alive.
        Nah, I did research the bikes against each other, I read a pretty good amount of info. One thing I was worried about with the R1 is they seem to have issues with front end stability under hard accel, especially keeping the front wheel down, but also with tank slapping. I didn't feel any of that on mine, though. I did bounce around a lot, though, agreed.

While I didn't exactly have a pro and con list for each, as I'm not going to top out either of those 3 in the next iono...10 years? (probably not even then) Does it really matter what differences of opinion people have when pushing these bikes to the limit?

As far as I can tell, when it comes to the super sports like that, there is no "pros" and "cons" - there's "arguments" and "opinions" (much like everywhere else, here included). The R1 guys think the R1 is the best, the CBR guys think the CBR is the best, and the GSX-R guys think their GSX-R's are the best. What's a "con" to one group is probably a "feature" to another. They all move quite well, they all handle quite well, they're all roughly in the same price range, and they're all reliable. I'm not going to be picking out the differences in the tail of the dragon at 95mph through twisties anytime soon, you know what I mean? There just comes a time where it's like "at that point, does it even matter?" - I definitely looked at reviews on the bikes I've looked at in person, opinions people had, so on and so forth. It seems everybody has their own "niche" in the liter bikes and they're NOT open to any suggestions otherwise...

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        You obviously also seem to think that a motorcycle is an investment rather than a toy...you will ALWAYS lose your *** on a bike financially. Period.

What a shame.

Know it alls who know nothing
        I'm not the ones claiming my word is the word of god, straight up 100% factual information. Some of you guys aren't even the least bit open to other ideas...

As for me taking it as an investment. Right now I'm broke as **** and am a college student. Until I graduate I don't have a constant source of income. In other words, right now, at this point in my life, it IS an investment. It is also a toy, but it's an investment as well.

That's horrible .
        '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
        '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
        '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
        '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
        '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

don't even know why you bothered asking for any advice. you followed none of it.
          +1..... just looking for somebody to agree with him, and not finding it won't change anything...

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
          Think of it this way:
          If I bought a 600 or 750 fuel injected (newer tech was my main aim), I'd probably lose 300 or so in tires, guestimate 500-750 or so in overall maintenance over its ownership over a year, so assuming I keep it for a year, that's probably almost 1k in maintenance, and 1k in the turnover. In other words, I lose 2k because I didn't step up the displacement to begin with. 2K is a lot of money. You get what I'm saying, now?

He definitely speaks truth, but his article appears to be aimed at people looking for a first bike, which I'd agree, learning on a liter bike (or any sport bike) is a lot harder than learning on something very forgiving such as a Katana or Ninja EX...or even a V-Twin like a Shadow or Virago.

To me, learning is a continuous process, it NEVER stops, as long as you ride, you learn. That being said, there's getting over the initial "hump" of learning (ie. general coordination) which is what I feel, and I feel he's speaking of, which should be on a forgiving bike. After that initial hump, say a couple thousand miles in daily traffic, you should be experienced enough to begin learning a new bike, regardless of power.

I feel he is getting at the same thing I am. There is that initial hump of a learning curve, which shouldn't be attempted to be gotten over on a super sport bike, but something more forgiving (ie. a katana). After a couple thousand miles, though, I feel you are over this initial hump and can begin learning a different bike. You don't want to be learning your coordination on a liter bike that's going to bite your head off b/c you don't know much about how the throttle will react. Get what I mean?
          Maintenance and tires you will lose money on every year whether you flip bikes or not. If you keep your bikes in reasonably good shape, you won't lose that much when you sell. Your justifications for this are a real stretch...

BTW- If you think the "hump" in the learning curve is behind you after just a few months riding, then you are sadly mistaken. At this point you still don't know what you don't know, as that article says. Honestly, though, the more you talk, the more I think you'll be just fine. You show no real interest in learning how to be a proficient rider, just in being a throttle jockey with 3" chicken strips and a bike that you can't use 50% of its potential. In that case, you could be riding pretty much anything and it wouldn't matter. If you actually wanted to be a good rider some day, you should get more of a foundation before moving up, but since you don't have aspirations beyond being a stereotypical college kid on a sportbike, then I guess it's cool.

GRADUATED LICENSING PEOPLE!!!!!! ENACT IT, AND YOU'LL NEVER HAVE TO HEAR ABOUT S**T LIKE THIS EVER AGAIN!!!!!

Just imagine, a world where new riders are forced to start out on something with less than 50hp for at least a year, maybe 2. How great that would be!
          Last edited by loudnlow7484; 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Congrats on the new purchase, I suppose. Do be careful, the last guy I had this conversation with who thought he knew what he was doing, ended up t-boning a car making an illegal u-turn on a two lane highway, they found his head inside his helmet about 50 yards away from his body.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              +1..... just looking for somebody to agree with him, and not finding it won't change anything...
              ya, well...I think we may have all been guilty of that at some point in our lives. maybe not even bike related. could be any major purchase of something you really want, but yet have a wee bit of doubt, so you kinda look for those who will say, "hell ya, go for it". In fact, I was just there with the purchase of my Lund fishing boat. My dad, mom, bro...a couple of my friends....all pretty much said the same thing when I mentioned buying a new boat...."why buy another boat when you have a nice one already"? all that did was make me want it even more...lol.

It ended up being my gf that said "go for it"...so I did.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

ya, well...I think we may have all been guilty of that at some point in our lives. maybe not even bike related. could be any major purchase of something you really want, but yet have a wee bit of doubt, so you kinda look for those who will say, "hell ya, go for it". In fact, I was just there with the purchase of my Lund fishing boat. My dad, mom, bro...a couple of my friends....all pretty much said the same thing when I mentioned buying a new boat...."why buy another boat when you have a nice one already"? all that did was make me want it even more...lol.

I suppose I find it more offensive on bikes....... after all, having that Lund fishing boat probably won't hurt you, and even if you were new to fishing, it probably wouldn't prevent you from becoming a great fisherman. There's really no negatives to you buying that boat except paying for it.

This would really be more like you buying a boat, and a fishfinder, and all the fancy rods and tackle you could want, and then just towing your boat to the lake and tow it home again without ever actually going fishing, just to give everybody you see the impression that you actually fish.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

for some reason i think every time i see a newb in the forum talking about liter bikes and turbos nos and racing i'm just gonna post pics and videos of road rash. in hopes that they connect liter bikes with gory road rash. and say all the gear all the time.
                  cause we won't stop them from buying a liter bike.

this thread is so funny. it's like he had a newb's list of newb flag words in front of him and he kept saying the exact wrong thing.
                  Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                  Tony
                  94 Katana 600

Comment

ya, well....I don't really have too much to say about all that. maybe my age has a bit to do with it. I am guessing a few of you guys are probably somewhere in between myself and the original poster. I see it sort of like this:

the OP is young and inexperienced, and he is probably more likely drawn to what is "in" for a young rider like himself.

you guys...maybe in your late 20's and 30's.....well you kinda outgrew that stage, but still "cocky" enough (don't take that as an insult...we are all a bit cockier the younger we are) that you "feel" your experience warrants him having to take your advice, lest he be a squid.

myself, at 45....don't give a rat's arse at all what he buys/rides. I see both sides having justification in their opinions. I haven't forgotten what it's like to be young and wanting. hell, my first real streetbike was a cbr 600 hurricane. I was all of 17. that was a hot little bike back then. not as powerful as the 600's today, but the same way of thinking applied...."you need more experience to ride that"! well bullsh*t to that, imho. there is no rule that says you have to work your way up slowly. for some, like myself, we just prefer to go for the "big one" right away, then just slowly get used to it. there is one advantage to that...and that is learning restraint. give me a 250 when I was 17 and chances are I would be running it WOT within a week. move up to a 500 or 600....won't be long until I am WOT with that as well. but if you put me on my 1100 kat at 17...well, it would have intimidated me. I wouldn't have been so eager to get it to WOT just cuz I would feel the raw power of it.....hence I would not only be learning how to ride the 1100, but at the same time learning restraint....which you don't learn much of on a 250.

but hey....it's all in how you see things. ya, sure, the OP was all over the place in his excitement, but hey, so what? that's what being young and excited about a new bike is all about. I sure ain't going to pizz on his parade by "nit-picking" his facts and figures...or trying to convince him it is a bad decision.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
                    Will Rogers

Comment

ya, well....I don't really have too much to say about all that. maybe my age has a bit to do with it. I am guessing a few of you guys are probably somewhere in between myself and the original poster. I see it sort of like this:

the OP is young and inexperienced, and he is probably more likely drawn to what is "in" for a young rider like himself.

you guys...maybe in your late 20's and 30's.....well you kinda outgrew that stage, but still "cocky" enough (don't take that as an insult...we are all a bit cockier the younger we are) that you "feel" your experience warrants him having to take your advice, lest he be a squid.

myself, at 45....don't give a rat's arse at all what he buys/rides. I see both sides having justification in their opinions. I haven't forgotten what it's like to be young and wanting. hell, my first real streetbike was a cbr 600 hurricane. I was all of 17. that was a hot little bike back then. not as powerful as the 600's today, but the same way of thinking applied...."you need more experience to ride that"! well bullsh*t to that, imho. there is no rule that says you have to work your way up slowly. for some, like myself, we just prefer to go for the "big one" right away, then just slowly get used to it. there is one advantage to that...and that is learning restraint. give me a 250 when I was 17 and chances are I would be running it WOT within a week. move up to a 500 or 600....won't be long until I am WOT with that as well. but if you put me on my 1100 kat at 17...well, it would have intimidated me. I wouldn't have been so eager to get it to WOT just cuz I would feel the raw power of it.....hence I would not only be learning how to ride the 1100, but at the same time learning restraint....which you don't learn much of on a 250.

but hey....it's all in how you see things. ya, sure, the OP was all over the place in his excitement, but hey, so what? that's what being young and excited about a new bike is all about. I sure ain't going to pizz on his parade by "nit-picking" his facts and figures...or trying to convince him it is a bad decision.

Will Rogers

Comment

Will Rogers

Comment

Will Rogers

Comment

Wow this thread is amazing. I think the new guy should take up writing for a living and just forget the cycle. Everytime he post it's like a short story. But as far as trying to change his mine, waste of time.
                            Don’t walk before you can crawl, and don’t try to sprint until you are a good walker. Use your head, wear the gear, and have fun

Comment

Maintenance and tires you will lose money on every year whether you flip bikes or not. If you keep your bikes in reasonably good shape, you won't lose that much when you sell. Your justifications for this are a real stretch...
                              I suppose you will lose money either way. Just seems after all the costs to put it on the road (ie. tax, registration fees), followed by whatever odds and ends the bike has wrong with it (because you very rarely get a "perfect" bike - they all seem to have their "issues" that need fixing. Then fixing whatever issues develop before sale, then selling it for less, you lose a lot, y'know?

If you say that a brake pad lasts X miles, if you change it, then immediately sell the bike. The chance that the next bike will have X miles remaining on the pads is extremely low, so you'll probably have to change them again. If it's anything like cars (and I don't see why it wouldn't be), you find yourself doing the same maintenance on multiple cars more frequently than if you keep one car.

BTW- If you think the "hump" in the learning curve is behind you after just a few months riding, then you are sadly mistaken. At this point you still don't know what you don't know, as that article says. Honestly, though, the more you talk, the more I think you'll be just fine. You show no real interest in learning how to be a proficient rider, just in being a throttle jockey with 3" chicken strips and a bike that you can't use 50% of its potential. In that case, you could be riding pretty much anything and it wouldn't matter. If you actually wanted to be a good rider some day, you should get more of a foundation before moving up, but since you don't have aspirations beyond being a stereotypical college kid on a sportbike, then I guess it's cool.
                              Your argument contradicts itself. What if somebody was to be riding bikes for 25 years, buys a super sport bike, although has become quite proficient in terms of riding, but doesn't feel like nailing the twisties as fast as possible? Maybe not 3" strips, but has some strips. Say he doesn't want to push his bike to its limit because he wants to drive safe and doesn't have time for track days. Where does this guy fit into your theory? If he's daily driving it then he's probably not using 50% of the bike's potential, either. How is that any different?

Just imagine, a world where new riders are forced to start out on something with less than 50hp for at least a year, maybe 2. How great that would be!
                              I don't know, how great would it be? How would this affect you at all? If anything, new cagers should have their hp limited, they're the ones that affect other people on the road.

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
                              Congrats on the new purchase, I suppose. Do be careful, the last guy I had this conversation with who thought he knew what he was doing, ended up t-boning a car making an illegal u-turn on a two lane highway, they found his head inside his helmet about 50 yards away from his body.
                              Thanks.

He was making the illegal U-turn or the car was? If it was the car, regardless of what kind of bike you have and your experience, crap like that will always make riding bikes on public roads dangerous . You can never be too ready for that crap..

lol, TBH I was just wondering how high mileage affects bikes in general, and if I should be scared ****less of 24k, then I mentioned the GSX-R 1000 then this whole branch started.

This would really be more like you buying a boat, and a fishfinder, and all the fancy rods and tackle you could want, and then just towing your boat to the lake and tow it home again without ever actually going fishing, just to give everybody you see the impression that you actually fish.
                              Why can't you get it out of your head that I'm really not doing it to impress anybody...I'm really not - this is only for me. I really don't care about my self-image. If I did, I would have lost a lot of weight awhile ago, would have opted to get an R6 or CBR600 as there's no need for more power, and we wouldn't be having this discussion. Almost makes your thoughts contradictory O.o.

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                              for some reason i think every time i see a newb in the forum talking about liter bikes and turbos nos and racing i'm just gonna post pics and videos of road rash. in hopes that they connect liter bikes with gory road rash. and say all the gear all the time.
                              cause we won't stop them from buying a liter bike.

this thread is so funny. it's like he had a newb's list of newb flag words in front of him and he kept saying the exact wrong thing.
                              Yeah, you're right.

Only liter bikes lead to gory road rash. You can't have an accident resulting in road rash without a liter bike.

I'm glad at least somebody sees things my way.

As for being cocky, I'm not sure if I am or not, I don't believe I am. All I can say is that I'm well aware of how low my skill level is versus how much you need to push a bike like this (or even my Kat) to the limits, and will try real hard not to push my limits, as they're much lower than the bike's.

BTW: Never saw 4x post before

Originally posted by deputydog_45 View Post
                              Wow this thread is amazing. I think the new guy should take up writing for a living and just forget the cycle. Everytime he post it's like a short story. But as far as trying to change his mine, waste of time.
                              Yeah I write a lot :-\.
                              '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
                              '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
                              '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
                              '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
                              '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

It's easier to crash a liter bike than a 600. i'm just trying to promote ATGATT to new riders whether they ride a liter bike or not, and especially if they are talking about racing. There is nothing bad about promoting safety in new riders.
                                Tony
                                94 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X