X

Question for the Katriders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the Katriders

How offten do carbs have to be cleaned out? I just got my 99 Kat about 3 months ago and ive rode it around for a little and moved. Rode it around and Bam carb problems. So tomorrow im takeing the carbs to the dealership for repairs. Since i live in a apartment complex i cant work on the bike or they can tow my bike. So my question is. What products can you use to keep them carbs clean to prevent furture problems. I have added a filter between the carbs and gas tank to prevent junk getting to the carbs from the tank. But for as keeping them tip top shape whould useing products such as Seafoam on a weekly bases be good for the bike or hurt it? What products chould i use to keep the bike tip top?

When they need it, they need it. If you have a clean fuel system, and run a tank of gas through it every 2 or 3 weeks, it should be good indefinately. If it sits longer, you should use Stabil to prevent condensation contamination and loss of octane.

If you start the bike up and it just doens't run the same as it usually does, the carbs probably need cleaning.

Comment

Make sure there isn't any rust or debris in the tank, otherwise you'll be cleaning them again soon.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

As for cleaning, you should never have to do it as long as the bike's getting run regularly. The seals, o-rings and float needles do have a limited life--about 10-15 years at best. After that, the rubber will have deteriorated to the point that it's not flexing enough to provide a proper seal. Then it's time to replace them and, as long as you have the carbs apart you may as well clean them.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

So your saying my Carbs are fine with 31000 miles never been cleaned and I drive about 100 miles a day????
          99 Ford F150 4x4
          04 Mustang GT
          2010 Camaro SS
          06 GSX600F
          sigpic

Comment

You tell me. How's the bike running?

I'm saying that if you haven't ever left your bike parked long enough for the fuel in the carbs to dry out then the idle passages will stay clear. Running fresh fuel through the carbs doesn't make them clog up. Letting the fuel sit is what does it. The o-rings and other rubber bits will still age though. That's a time-based factor and that's what's going to drive you to rebuild your carbs eventually.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              You tell me. How's the bike running?

I'm saying that if you haven't ever left your bike parked long enough for the fuel in the carbs to dry out then the idle passages will stay clear. Running fresh fuel through the carbs doesn't make them clog up. Letting the fuel sit is what does it. The o-rings and other rubber bits will still age though. That's a time-based factor and that's what's going to drive you to rebuild your carbs eventually.
              Er, That's only part of the equation from what I've seen. Rust or crap getting in the tank will ALSO cause issues in the carbs. That doesn't really factor into how long a bike sits.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by tildeath View Post
                I have added a filter between the carbs and gas tank to prevent junk getting to the carbs from the tank.
                A fuel filter is supposed to be standard for the Post's Kats. Not having one may or may not have led to the problem.

I have 72,000+ miles on my carbs and don't have issues with them. I do use Chevron gas not because of it's Techron whatever stuff but because I typically can just pull up without waiting in line, pump gas and go. It costs $.10 more than the no-name gas station but for less than 5 gallons it's not worth waiting in line for $.50.

So, for me, whether using name-brand gas makes a difference I can't say for sure.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  Er, That's only part of the equation from what I've seen. Rust or crap getting in the tank will ALSO cause issues in the carbs. That doesn't really factor into how long a bike sits.
                  This is true. Nothing is ever simple. Of course, if you're running the bike regularly you shouldn't have much in the way of sludge or rust in the tank. Leaves, grit, etc. that make their way into the tank generally either get caught in the petcock screen or are fine enough that they pass through the carbs no problem.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

IF the PO let the tank rust inside, there's not much you can do to keep the carbs from getting plugged up eventualy other than removing the tank and sealing it with something like POR-15. Even riding it every day, over time the loose fine rust particles in the tank will eventally build up enough in the carb bowls to plug primary jets after sitting parked overnight.
                    John,
                    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                    sigpic

Comment

Almost off of work, so I will answer the actual question.
                      The carbs should be cleaned if there is a problem or you don't ride often. If it sits for a few weeks without being started, it will need to be cleaned. If you run it every week and your carbs get clogged, you should check the tank for rust. A '99 should already have fuel filter. The best thing to do is to start the bike every week or even every three days when you don't ride. After cleaning the carbs multiple times, i decided that if i was not riding, i would start the bike every three days. I have yet to clean the carbs. Also run seafoam every month to keep things clean. My bike now starts perfect and runs perfect with no idle issues. Or you get an FI bike.

Comment

Carb Rebuild kit

Where is a good place to buy a carb rebuilt kit for our bikes complete with all gaskets, o-rings, jets etc...

Thanks

Comment

Try carbpartscapitol.com. They've got a kit with everything but the jets and the float needles for $14.95/carb and the float needles for about $5 ea. They don't seem to carry jets, though. Most people just clean them.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                          X