X

1993 Kat 750 motor in my GS750E

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 Kat 750 motor in my GS750E

I'm looking at putting a 1993 Katana 750 motor into my GS750 frame. Is there anything I should know about this motor before I go through with the project?

Yes, it's possible. PM Waltari and he might be able to get you going on the motor mounts.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I can fabricate the mounts...getting the motor into the frame I'm not worried about. I know nothing about the 1993 Katana 750 engine, though. I'm looking for more power and a more reliable engine...one of the things I really dislike about my GS is that the charging system is just not stable. I'd hate to find out that it's real common for the Kat 750 to eat stators after the fact. That kind of stuff is what I'm looking for.

Comment

The alternator on the katana motor has a regulator/rectifier built into it the unit isn't separate.

The stock RR on the GS's were known to be horrible... but I had heard there were aftermarket parts companies that had solved the problems.
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Even running a rewound stator and an F4i R/R, the system still isn't quite stable enough. But that's neither here nor there. I want more power and, more than a "more reliable" charging system, I want a more reliable "everything".

Is the charging system on the 1993-era Kat 750 a sturdy assembly or is it prone to failures?

I've heard about output shaft bearings eating themselves up...any insight into this?

Are there any other issues that are considered common?

Comment

I've never read about people having problems with the charging system... it's essentially all external.

I've also not read about output shaft bearings getting eaten either

The biggest issue with the Katanas 600 & 750 if that prior to 1998 there were issues with second gear where the dogs or shift fork could get bent for bad/weak shifts.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I suppose the fouled shift fork would require a complete tear down to repair? Not that I ever use second gear anyway.

Was the rear wheel on the '93 still 3.5" wide?

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                I suppose the fouled shift fork would require a complete tear down to repair? Not that I ever use second gear anyway.

Was the rear wheel on the '93 still 3.5" wide?

i too would like to know whats involved in changing a shiftfork
                '90 Katana 600

Comment

If you just want a reliable GS750, I've got a '77 I'm selling. $800, runs like a champ and has a brand new Electrosport R/R on it that won't go bad.

Comment

changing a shoft fork requires splitting the cases
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                      I can fabricate the mounts...getting the motor into the frame I'm not worried about. I know nothing about the 1993 Katana 750 engine, though. I'm looking for more power and a more reliable engine...one of the things I really dislike about my GS is that the charging system is just not stable. I'd hate to find out that it's real common for the Kat 750 to eat stators after the fact. That kind of stuff is what I'm looking for.
                      The GS has an unstable charging system due to poor grounding. They are all like that. They can be fixed by rewiring the charging system using a diode in the power from the stator and adding a couple more grounds from the battery to the engine and to the frame. The newer ones would eat up CDI boxes as well as R/R
                      The GSX engine is based on the same platform but redesigned but still uses the suzuki chambering style like the TSCC heads design. However the GSX uses an alternator much like a car rather then an internal stator. Its far more reliable and produces more power output. As far as the engines they are basically the same and very reliable. No issues have even been brought to my attention about the counter shaft bearings failing. its a case loaded axle as most bikes are, so unless a chain was run way over tight it should never wear out a bearing in the trans. The second gear was the only downfall to these engines just as they were in the air 88-96 GSXR's . Cast gears... what can you say.. they did change them eventually to a beefier, hardened gear but I dont know the process they used. I suspect they are peen hardened.
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Seriously guys, you guys dont remember all the output shaft failures? Mine went bad, Thoms went bad and I know a few other have as well. Id say yes, Its a possible issue.
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                          Seriously guys, you guys dont remember all the output shaft failures? Mine went bad, Thoms went bad and I know a few other have as well. Id say yes, Its a possible issue.
                          Sounds like an issue with that ohio air
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                            I ate one as well on my first Kat...... about 2k miles after I got it! I flogged it pretty well, though. It went out very suddenly, too...... Everything was fine and good, and then I full-bore launched it (as hard as I could on the street anyway) away from a 4-way stop in the country and it just grenaded itself. Chain may have had too little slack, but I certainly didn't have it tight. That chain was in rough shape, though.... it was doing the "tighter-looser-tighter..." thing while it rolled. I was running it at the drag strip every week, too. I think it just had a hard life and decided to end it all.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            Sounds like an issue with that ohio air
                            Ohio air, Ohio salt, Ohio f'd up roads........ we've really got nothing to offer up here, do we?
                            Last edited by loudnlow7484; 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                            X