X

Extended Swing Arms?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended Swing Arms?

Heres a question for all of you, I was looking at doin an extended swing arm on my 97 gsxf600 and i know they look mean i work with a guy who has one on his busa and it really sets the tire far out there and it sets a little lower too so whats the pros and cons of having one of them? I havent really been able to get any real straight answers other than it looks cool. how does it affect the handling and stuff. If any one has there pennies ill take your 2 cents on that

well you wont be able to turn with one so dont go around any curves

also your extending a swingarm on a 70hp bike, not really the power to justify needing one.
    Chrome Project Part 1
    http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Pros on a low power high weight bike? None.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have to agree with mreedohio & scottynoface. There is no real reason for an extended swing arm on a bike with 70-75hp. How ever I don't think that that really answers your question. So I suggest you read This. It might help.
        My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
        Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I read the blog and i really didnt know it would make cornering a hard thing to do. Thanks for your input i appreciate it.

Comment

on high HP drag bikes I can see how an extended swing arm is logistically necessary....as far as looks go I think its super ghey
            "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Comment

Who were you gonna go through if you decided to extend the swing arm?

Comment

It would be relatively easy to do yourself. With the right measurements and some cutting and a good welder. (machine and person) I do seem to remember coming across someones build here that had some for the swing arm with out cutting. Hmmm... Don't remember who specifically. oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by scarface View Post
                  Who were you gonna go through if you decided to extend the swing arm?
                  If i was goin to do it i would have done a custom job and put 2 kat swing arms together and got a friend who welds for a living to put it all together. But as far as right now i dont think its gonna be happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Unholy_m View Post
                    I have to agree with mreedohio & scottynoface. There is no real reason for an extended swing arm on a bike with 70-75hp. How ever I don't think that that really answers your question. So I suggest you read This. It might help.
                    tl;dr:
                    "The problem however is that most riders make the swingarm adjustment for the “cool factor” before considering how it will affect the bikes handling. Just like in my world of raked-out custom choppers, the longer the bikes gets the less manoeuvrable it becomes."

Comment

Check this out we had a big decussion on these last year but all and all opinions were bout 50/50 I'm gonna be doing a set of these this winter on my pre600 as well as trying to incorporate post fairings and a gixxer 750 rear wheel.

Comment

2?! That is one hell of a stretch! No cornering there! LOL If you do it you should also go wide and put the GSXR wheel in too! I saw some alum bolt on extensions on flebay recently. I am just a little bit concerned on how safe it would really be?
                        96' Katana 600/750

Comment

the look of the extension is very sexy... but.. just think about it logically, and make sure you dont change the way yoru bike rides too much. do you want to be able to throttle up in turns or be slowing down and standing up through turns.

Comment

Those extensions are stupid, if you're gonna do it at least do it right...
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I think those extensions are what i remember. Anyway as far as looks I think that a stretched swing arm is annoying looking. Really, I like cornering and doing it fast. So the only reason I would "stretch" would be if I swap to a bigger engine. Even then the 1 1/2 the 750 swinger would give me should be enough. if not the right calculations would be a factor to as far i would go. but definitely no more the 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X