X

Hesitation, Whats your input?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitation, Whats your input?

I looked around a lot of the threads, and I seem to have a problem with hesitation. I have a pre 1990, 600cc.

The problem is intermittent, some days it works fine, others it gives me a lot of issues. The problem is a hesitation in lower rpms, usually 1st and 2nd gear. It seems like the bike does not respond to the throttle at all, then jumps.

Example, (I was going down the road the other day, 1st gear, throttle slightly rolled, and the bike was not responding. I have to continue slowly rolling the throttle back to get the bike to keep moving. Eventually, I have it rolled 1/2 way back, and the bike jumps as if I just dropped the clutch and I almost shot off the back)

I did a lot of looking, and a friend of mine thinks it has something to do with the Fuel Cock. I have a leaking fuel cock, and he thinks that its sucking in air into the line and causing a vacuum leak. Anyone have any input on this? I have a rebuild kit for the fuel cock on the way, should come in this afternoon.

Does this sound possible?

What air filter are you running? Possible causes could be a non stock air filter, or dirty carbs/plugged jets.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

I had a similar problem with an old GS500E after it sat for a while. I cleaned the carbs/floats and it worked much better.
      I finally got home and get to ride my KAT!!!
      sigpic

Comment

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
        and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
        sigpic

Ride the twisties!

2000 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Since cleaning & sync-ing the carbs on these bikes is considered regular maintenance, you should start there.

If you suspect a fuel delivery problem, clean the tank & petcock at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by akarob View Post
            Since cleaning & sync-ing the carbs on these bikes is considered regular maintenance, you should start there.

If you suspect a fuel delivery problem, clean the tank & petcock at the same time.

+1

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Thank you for the input. Ill have to look up how to sync the carbs. Hope its not too difficult

Comment

Update on the Bike! I went ahead and ordered my fuel cock rebuild kit. Even though I thought it wasn't the solution to my hesitation, it was still leaking a little. I went ahead, rebuilt it, and ran into an issue. After some guidance on this site from the shout box, I was able to get everything good.

Heres the weird part, rebuilding the fuel cock took away the hesitation. I was used to it doing it about 80% of the time. Now I cannot recall it doing it since I replaced the petcock. I am still going to have the carbs cleaned and synced this spring after I winterize the bike. But I was surprised and relieved that replacing the fuel cock worked.

Comment

Working...
                X