No announcement yet.
X

What do you use for chain lube

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For cleaning I pour a little paraffin (kerosene) into a jar and dunk a Gunk brush in and scrub, I also do the rear sprocket with a toothbrush. Rotating the wheel ( on center stand, engine off ) wipe off with a rag and repeat. That gets the chain nice and shiny again.

After a careful visual inspection of the chain and sprocket I normally apply a very thin film of engine oil using a toothbrush, and then wipe off excess with another rag. Take out for a 10 minute spin and once again wipe off with a rag then give a generous spray with either lube or wax.

Comment

new rider chain lube

Because I’m not good at taking apart my bike yet need guidance to build confidence I don’t take my chain off I use a rag to catch the drips and Liquid Wrench Chain lube.

Comment

Originally posted by darnellj32 View Post
        Because I’m not good at taking apart my bike yet need guidance to build confidence I don’t take my chain off I use a rag to catch the drips and Liquid Wrench Chain lube.
        Nothing at all wrong with what you're doing mate. In my opinion, there's no need to take a chain off to clean it, unless you're into beach racing.

You're also doing the right thing in not diving headlong into tearing your bike apart - splitting and joining chains isn't the place to start learning about bikes, you can get into all sorts of trouble with them!

Bit by bit and with a little help, you'll get there!
        Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Originally posted by darnellj32 View Post

Definitely no need to take the chain off to clean it. Get some Fluid Film from amazon and you'll be all set. Don't even need to worry about scrubbing (such as with the Grunge Brush, which is popular, or even an old toothbrush) or catching drips. Just spray it on and you'll have more than double the protection offered by Liquid Wrench chain lube. Liquid Wrench chain lube is by far the worst brand of chain cleaner in my experience.

Comment

Working...
          X