X

Crashed my Bike, Insurance sucks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashed my Bike, Insurance sucks

So I crashed my bike yesterday on Hwy 5 heading into Los Angeles. Guy driving a cargo van locked up his brakes infront of me and I was not able to stop in time.

The damage to the bike is extensive however mainly cosmetic. Repairs needed are new fairings, mirrors, front brake lever, turn signals all around, foot pegs, muffler, and rear bumper.

The insurance company wants to total out my bike. But they are saying that the value of it is only $2100. This is ridiculous. It is a 1998 Katana GSX600F. It was in mint condition with only 12,000 miles on it. Not to mention I have a Yoshimura RS-3 exhaust, black windwhield, Jet kit, and carbon brake levers on it. I have looked around and I have not been able to find any bikes for sale like this anywhere under $3,000.

What do you guys think my bike is really worth? Also, any suggestions on how I can get them to raise the value of my bike? They are judging it off the Kelly Blue Book value and there is no way I can replace my bike at this price.
    1998 Katana 600
    sigpic

Unfortunately, I think that price is about right. Take a look at the blue book value.
    Currently in the driveway:

02 Ducati 748 Monoposto: Yellow & White
    99 Suzuki Katana 600: Red (Sold to brother but holding at the house)

Comment

Sadly, all that custom stuff is no count from what I've heard. Any variation from stock is most of the time considered devaluing (is that a word?) your bike.

It sucks, but that does sound about right.
      Originally posted by Slofuze:
      Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

What I'm saying is, the blue book value is wrong. I've spent hours searching the web and there is no possible way to replace this bike for $2100. Try to find one.
        1998 Katana 600
        sigpic

Comment

Here is one... im not sure if it is close or not but its $1999...
          -Noe-
          2000 Katana 750

Comment

NADA lists the average retail as only $1810 and that's with an aftermarket performance exhaust.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

See if you can buy the bike from the insurance money ... get the cash and the bike...
              2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
              2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
              1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
              1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                See if you can buy the bike from the insurance money ... get the cash and the bike...
                That's gonna be your best bet. Sadly- you're going to spend all of that money and probably more if you have to replace all of your plastics, your exhaust, et al (if you go OEM). My advice is to buy the bike back, throw some Hong Kong Fooey plastics and a new Yosh on and call it a day.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

sorry to hear about the crash. glad you made it out and walked away.
                  you can get "deals" on kats if you look for them. one guy where i live got an 03 600 for 1k, less than 22k miles... excellent condition. dont rely on the "lists", look around, wheel and deal. he got it that cheap because the guy selling was moving and couldnt take the bike with him. right place, right time.

Comment

a lot of insurance companies offer you coverage for after market parts All State covers up to $1000 for aftermarket parts like exhaust and stuff like that that is automatically included in your insurance and i think you can pay for more coverage as well, I think progressive covers up to like $2k or $3k
                    Do you know why Santa is so jolly.... Because he knows where all the naughty girls live..

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bike bro. More importantly, are you ok? The bike can be replaced... skin has to grow back. Hope you are ok. I agree with buying the kat back from the insurance company. Have it checked and make sure there is no underlying damage ie frame forks etc...

Comment

did you have the aftermarket parts listed with them?
                        ROLL TIDE!

Comment

I found mine for $2000 after a 2 month hunt.04 600 Kat, right place right time. Also as was said insurance companies only insure your bike/car to what blue book value is unless you disclose that upgrades were made and its worth more than that. At that point they usually charge you a slight bit more to insure the added value of the aftermarket parts added to the vehicle. Some companies do cover up to a certain amount of aftermarket parts before they charge extra but be prpared if they ask you for the reciepts

Comment

Well I know that my State Farm people said that since I have repainted mine and done this and that to it they will give me the full value providing I have receipts for all of it. That is not a problem. So they would give me the value of my bike plus whatever upgrades I have done. Grant it I have been with them since I was 16 and I am now 38. So that may play into it. So ask them about the upgrades you have done and see if they will add that to the pricing.
                            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

insurance companies and lawyers are always gonna rip us off. at least you're ok man!! it could have been a lot worse

Comment

Working...
                              X