X

New to Kat's.... i think im rich?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kat's.... i think im rich?

Im new to the site and to Katana's. Its a 98 600 and when i let off the throttle to decelerate my exhaust pops. I read the thread Lean or Rich on page 2 of topic selections and it said if you pop under deceleration your rich. I do not have a repair guide for her yet so i do not know where to adjust the a/f ratio. I told my friend today it sounds like its getting too much fuel and there is some hesitation in the low rpm range. Previous owner put a slip on onto it and rejetted.

please dont say research before question. I looked at post and learned it is for sure rich and the symptoms and this is my first motorcycle. well that i have owned. usually just rode all my friends.

I have read about adjusting with the idle turned up a little and different ranges and keeping a slightly rich idle to help cool the motor. I do not know anything about doing a fine tune to that extent so first i would like to just get my a/f corrected. If you guys can tell me where the screw is located so i can correct this that would be great and amount of turns that would be a start for just a slip on no other mods.

Can you link where you read that...

Normally afterfire, or the "snap/crackle/pop" sound on decel is lean idle settings. There isn't enough fuel in the mixture to burn all of it, so the remaining unburnt hydrocarbons ignite in the exhaust... causeing the popping.

Rich generally = backfire... or very loud single explosions due to way too much fuel being dumped into the exhaust which causes a large explosion in there. (sounds like a gun going off, but it's a singular event ussually).

for info on your carbs and where what is what in them... click the wiki link at the top, search "Carbs 102". Download the PDF linked in there. It's a full walkthru on cleaning and adjusting them, with pictures to show you where the A/F screws are.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
      and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

said slight bubbling mean little rich and sometimes when i twist the throttle is lags a little and will take a second or two to get back to idle with a slight rev.

maybe could be from the exhaust. its D&D. Ill search for the carbs on the forum thanks for the help!

heh heh its actually carbs 101 right
      Last edited by noiseninja; 06-11-2010, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by noiseninja View Post
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109889

said slight bubbling mean little rich and sometimes when i twist the throttle is lags a little and will take a second or two to get back to idle with a slight rev.

maybe could be from the exhaust. its D&D. Ill search for the carbs on the forum thanks for the help!

heh heh its actually carbs 101 right
        actually the exhaust is what caused the popping[most likely]. it allows more air flow than stock. some adjusting is in order. i have the same problem with my Kat.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
        X